2.0L Performance Tech 260hp (235hp auto) Turbocharged SS tuner version. 260 lb-ft of torque

Hard pipes won't give me a horsepower increase...

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 02:23 AM

Hard pipes won't give me a horsepower increase...

Hey guys,

Just curious about something. I have a trifecta tune in my car and love it. I am concerned about running higher boost with the factory charge pipes and am thinking about upgrading them. There doesn't seem to be a logical horsepower increase associated with upgrading the charge pipes. Seems to me the advantages are increased durability and possibly faster spool. Am I on target here?

Thinking of upgrading just the top (hot?) side first. Will I feel a difference, or will I just have piece of mind that the stock plasitc crap is replaced?

Thanks for any input!
Old 07-21-2010, 08:31 AM

A trifecta tune is $300, that will be the biggest gain out of anything you do. It will put you around 300 whp and more if you have bolt on upgrades to support more power.
Biggest bolt on difference is going to be an aftermarket down pipe good for around 20 whp with tune.

You are correct as far as charge pipes go and you only need the hot side pipe, the cold side is effecient enough on the stock turbo. Your not going to really feel anything with just a hot side charge pipe change, you might notice a little quicker spool up.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:22 AM

Your biggest gain with IC tubing is in appearance, especially if you have it color matched to the body.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:48 AM

Go with the b.o.v. too! I'm not sure 'bout anyone else on here but I kinda like the "ricer" sound...... maybe it's not really ricer but it let's someone that knows "know".
Old 07-21-2010, 01:41 PM

I didnt really notice a difference in my setup but with the Secret Services tuning and 50mm Blow-off Valve, piping and bigger intercooler I noticed a big difference and so do others!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Check out my pics to see
Old 07-21-2010, 07:08 PM

Hard piping will help increase HP, they remove the flatspots and bulges from the factory piping and make it more efficient. It will have a better air velocity and not bottleneck in certain places. Right before the TB on the cold side there is an indentation that hampers performance as well. The trifecta tune and downpipe will be the largest gains. I know most will disagree with me but a GOOD(read not any normal schmo) local tuner with HPT will beable to make more efficient power than trifecta. Trifecta likes to run higher boost and its been proven that you will be out of turbo efficiency at 26psi, granted they have a few things unlocked that I would love to have. My local tuner is just starting to do HPT+trifecta tunes and I MAY go that route but doubtful.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:49 PM

There has been no dyno results that prove replacing the upper charge pipe increases HP. So if you have some to show I'd like to see them.

BYT (one of the best HPTuners for the LNF engine) switched over to Trifecta's new tune with HPT, so HPT users can tweak the Trifecta tune a little. Also every good turbocharger upgrade kit out at the moment uses a modified Trifecta tune with HPT ability.

So with that said, if you want the best tune out at the moment that would be the new Trifecta tune with HPT ability.

The tune you referred to as "HPT+Trifecta" is wrong, its a Trifecta tune with HPT tweaking, sold by Trifecta. Sure as heck not by HPT as they have abandoned support for the LNF platform.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:01 PM

Its actually a stock tune with a couple changed things that we cannot access, then HP tuned. I know because my local tuner is now a trifecta dealer as well. The main reason people want the trifecta is because they adjust wastegate control and they also adjust the fuel pressure for big turbo setups. HPT has been postponing tables for quite a while, supposedly they are going to do them after they finish up their dodge support.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:28 PM

the hard pipe kit was one of my first mods. why?? i got my car brand new and day one had a check engine throwin codes SOB!!! why??? A CRACKED FACTORY IC PIPE. i later found out this was happening to a couple of others. the fix??? hard pipe kit. problem solved. also jaxson makes a good point. too many "pancake" spots with stock piping. pushing more boost with the stock piping imo would not be smooth with all the flat spots. for stock boost it's fine,until it cracks..
Old 07-24-2010, 10:23 AM

i did mine because i love chrome
really i figured one less thing to go wrong with the car after all my first ss was a lemon

Quick Reply: Hard pipes won't give me a horsepower increase...