2.0L Performance Tech 260hp (235hp auto) Turbocharged SS tuner version. 260 lb-ft of torque

HRC BOV assy for the Sol/Sky

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 08:38 AM

Waiting for BOV

Still nothing?
Old 06-23-2009, 01:57 PM

I'm shopping for something in regards to this, as my dealer is replacing my stock BOV with another stock one......so with under 6K miles, I do not favor the construction of the stock BOV.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:08 AM

just wondering what hahn has figured out with this, i though i remember when i was origonally talking to adam he said the internal bov was a better fit for this motor, wondering if something has changed on the matter.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by sndsgood
just wondering what hahn has figured out with this, i though i remember when i was origonally talking to adam he said the internal bov was a better fit for this motor, wondering if something has changed on the matter.
What we really have is a Wastegate, it recirculates.
I believe you are talking about a BOV which dumps to atmosphere.
The problem is measuring the air volume as designed, dumping the air to atmosphere would not be understood with the stock air measuring setup.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:14 PM
XXL

Originally Posted by millerrdjr
A wastegate is a completely different part of a turbosystem.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:36 AM

we should have a wastegate or some sort of wastegate and a blow off valve. two different things. someone correct me if im wrong here.
Old 06-25-2009, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by millerrdjr
We have a "recirculating" BOV or bypass valve. The BOV's are for intake air.....the wastegate is for exhaust gas flow.

Everyone can brushup their terms here: http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbob...nter/faqs.html

What is the difference between a BOV and a Bypass Valve? How do they work, and are they necessary?
A Blow Off Valve (BOV) is a valve that is mounted on the intake pipe after the turbo but before the throttle body. A BOV's purpose is to prevent compressor surge. When the throttle valve is closed, the vacuum generated in the intake manifold acts on the actuator to open the valve, venting boost pressure in order to keep the compressor out of surge.
Bypass valves are also referred to as compressor bypass valves, anti-surge valves, or recirculating valves. The bypass valve serves the same function as a BOV, but recirculates the vented air back to the compressor inlet, rather than to the atmosphere as with a BOV.

How does a Wastegate work?
A Wastegate is simply a turbine bypass valve. It works by diverting some portion of the exhaust gas around, instead of through, the turbine. This limits the amount of power that the turbine can deliver to the compressor, thereby limiting the turbo speed and boost level that the compressor provides.

* The Wastegate valve can be "internal" or "external". For internal Wastegates, the valve itself is integrated into the turbine housing and is opened by a turbo-mounted boost-referenced actuator.
* An external Wastegate is a self-contained valve and actuator unit that is completely separate from the turbocharger.
* In either case, the actuator is calibrated (or set electronically with an electronic boost controller) by internal spring pressure to begin opening the Wastegate valve at a predetermined boost level.
* When this boost level is reached, the valve will open and begin to bypass exhaust gas, preventing boost from increasing.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:09 PM

good call jermaine, ive never dealt with a recirculating bov and wasn't sure where the air goes versus one that exhausts to the atmosphere. i just remember adam hahn saying that for the ss the recirculating bov was a better option. this was last year though so maybe things have changed.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by sndsgood
good call jermaine, ive never dealt with a recirculating bov and wasn't sure where the air goes versus one that exhausts to the atmosphere. i just remember adam hahn saying that for the ss the recirculating bov was a better option. this was last year though so maybe things have changed.
I am sure his advice is still sound. On my Eclipse GSX I installed an aftermarket (HKS) BOV that retained the GSX recirculating setup. I am not fond of the BOV-to-atmosphere technique. If your full out 'race-only' more power to ya .....but not for everyday or cruising. It would get annoying real fast.