2.0L Performance Tech 260hp (235hp auto) Turbocharged SS tuner version. 260 lb-ft of torque

Just got my SS back from installing Turbo Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 08:22 AM

It really does turn into a little beast, doesn't it. It's unimaginal what that "kit" does unless you have driven one before and after.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:28 AM

I am wondering if anyone has broken their axles yet. I hear about a lot of SC cobalts snapping their axles and having to replace with aftermarket, and thats with around 260hp. Theres a TSB not to warranty them. And then theres the TSB on the cracked tranny case too.
Have the turbo parts been strengthened?
Old 04-09-2009, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by prod
I am wondering if anyone has broken their axles yet. I hear about a lot of SC cobalts snapping their axles and having to replace with aftermarket, and thats with around 260hp. Theres a TSB not to warranty them. And then theres the TSB on the cracked tranny case too.
Have the turbo parts been strengthened?
I know the new turbo Cobalt SS and HHR SS suspensions are much improved over the old SC cobalts. I haven't read of anyone here breaking the axles. I thought many of the problems were at least partially related to wheel hop issues in those old suspensions. The SS suspension is much better and wheel hop is not an issue.
Old 04-09-2009, 01:40 PM

Finally

I finally found a dealer to install my kit. Only two in the St. Louis area on the Missouri are willing to touch them. Weber Chevy at I-270/Olive Rd. in West St. Louis County and Weber in St. Peters, Mo.(St. Charles County) and ELCO Chevy in Ballwin, Mo. (WSLCO also) No installs on Saturdays. Weber takes appiontments and ELCO does not. 2-3 hours they to install.
Old 04-09-2009, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Tim S.
I finally found a dealer to install my kit. Only two in the St. Louis area on the Missouri are willing to touch them. Weber Chevy at I-270/Olive Rd. in West St. Louis County and Weber in St. Peters, Mo.(St. Charles County) and ELCO Chevy in Ballwin, Mo. (WSLCO also) No installs on Saturdays. Weber takes appiontments and ELCO does not. 2-3 hours they to install.
Weber is Crever Coeur does good work. Service manager, Jim Farmer, is a great guy.

Gotta say though, they will still try to tell you your transmission fluid needs to be winterized!
Old 04-09-2009, 08:02 PM

Installed GM turbo upgrade finally.

Well I finally took the wife's car to work today, I was really worried about letting her take my truck, but I still managed to part with the keys. So I work at a Ford dealership and pulled the HHR in. I started at 7:00 am and had the new sensors and wiring in and all wire loomed up at 7:43am. So I took it next door to my buddy at the Pontiac/GMC dealer next door(same owner of both the Ford Dealer and GMC dealer) and had him progam it. Done at 8:13am. Then I was a little anxious to take it out for a test run,but I wanted to take the blizzacks off first.

So at lunch I went home and picked up the summer wheels. at about 3:00pm I was done all the work for the day,besides swapping tires. So I swapped the tires and decided to give it a good undercarriage wash, and shinned up the top as well. So just as I took it off the hoist again my wife showed up, boo hoo, I wanted to play. So she say's to my surprise let's go try it out. So I take it out and run it up well above the 200 mark as I was watching the road more than the speedo(in kilometers remember,Canadian) and the wife say's "hmmm, It doesn't feel any different" so we pull over on the 4 lane highway and I put her behind the wheel. And off we were, at this point she is smiling and says "it is different,kinda fun".

So we turn around and head back into town and she is playing with the no lift shift,as she hit's 4th I point to the RCMP car rushing through the center ditch (same as Highway patrol,state trooper,and city police all in one) with the cherries on. As we're pulling over the wife is trying to convince me to change seats, all the while I can't stop laughing. The officer comes up to the window, and looks surprised to see a hot blond driving, hand on his pistol he warily asks for licence and registration and asks us both to exit the vehicle. So we exit the vehicle and I start laughing harder as I see a quick smirk from him. He asks my wife if she knows why he pulled us over. She play's dumb like what I have instructed her many times, and says "no,is there a problem?"
He say's he caught her doing 235kph in a 110kph zone. So he give's me a look and I nod back and he say's "you are under arrest for dangerous driving,exceeding speed limit and he's gonna have to impound and crush her car" She loses it and starts pouring tears out.

I can't hold it any more and I start laughing again just as the officer starts cracking up too. It turns out it is a good high school football buddy of mine and was playing her along pretty good. So after 20 minutes of calming her down and letting her give us both heck he let's us off with a stern warning, but I had to ask. How fast were we really going,and could I get a fake ticket to prove it? He replies,I would have to really give it to you and impound the car,and yes we really were going that fast.

Well as driving home nicely I felt pretty good, I like our family cruiser of an HHR SS. Can't wait for all the water to dry up and get my real hot rods on the road, but goes to show we can still get into a little trouble with our dail driver.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by skimike
our SS has so much more power its unbeliveable , I never imagined in my wildest dreams that it would change this much..........all I have left to say is three words , WOW WOW WOW.
I second that. The RPMS ramp quickly and I see the car into boost much quicker than when stock. Its definitely worth the $660 spent........its really a SS now.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by GDZHHR
Weber is Crever Coeur does good work. Service manager, Jim Farmer, is a great guy.

Gotta say though, they will still try to tell you your transmission fluid needs to be winterized!
That's who I made contact with he sounds like a nice guy. It goes in on April 20, 2009 I had to take a day off of work, oh darn.
Old 04-10-2009, 03:18 AM

I just got my car back today. And as everyone else said. Its like night and day. Totally feels like a different car. I'm a little afraid of it again lol.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:58 PM

I constantly forget its only a 2.0..My pickup has been relegated to backup vehicle and heavy and dirty jobs so its parked most the time.Havn't driven it for about 4 months and had to use it last weekend to haul a cabinet for the kitchen, I was lost,for the size and weight it hauls along real good ,but that day I thought something was wrong,felt really slow...until I realised there wasn't any turbo gage...anywhere! Might have to remedy that..hmmmmmmm....Its going to be really hard to have to drive something else after this car.A hotrod you never forget what your driving, can't say the same for the SS with a kit.
Smooth quiet and a true sleeper,with 28 mpg to boot!.Love passing somebody and having a tire break loose, the look is priceless!And so far the coppers pay no attention to it. What more can A person ask for!

Quick Reply: Just got my SS back from installing Turbo Upgrade