2.0L Performance Tech 260hp (235hp auto) Turbocharged SS tuner version. 260 lb-ft of torque

Just got a SS, Few Questions about mods

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 10:58 AM

Just got a SS, Few Questions about mods

Hey guys! I just bought a 2008 HHR SS Sunburst Orange Metallic Auto and i'm looking to do some mods to it.

I'm wanting to pick up the GM turbo upgrade (aka stage 1) and do a nice intake system.

From what i'm reading the turbo upgrade will help each mod after getting the upgrade increase the power better than buying the intake and exhaust and then getting the upgrade right?

Also on the intake systems, I've read so many threads saying that the K&N drop in has oils that may mess up the MAP sensor and that the AEM is a good choice which seems to be a cold air.

I really like the way the stock box looks in the bay which is nice and clean. I seen the air box mod posted somewhere but it was on another forum for the Cobalt and would like to see the thoughts on that and a write up if anyone has one for the HHR SS.

Can anyone guide me in the best place to get my car running very nice with a great intake system after the turbo upgrade? Does the intake systems increase the boost numbers at all and make the spool louder?

Thanks for all the help in advance, I appreciate it!
Old 05-09-2010, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by BoostedSS
Hey guys! I just bought a 2008 HHR SS Sunburst Orange Metallic Auto and i'm looking to do some mods to it.

I'm wanting to pick up the GM turbo upgrade (aka stage 1) and do a nice intake system.

From what i'm reading the turbo upgrade will help each mod after getting the upgrade increase the power better than buying the intake and exhaust and then getting the upgrade right?

Also on the intake systems, I've read so many threads saying that the K&N drop in has oils that may mess up the MAP sensor and that the AEM is a good choice which seems to be a cold air.

I really like the way the stock box looks in the bay which is nice and clean. I seen the air box mod posted somewhere but it was on another forum for the Cobalt and would like to see the thoughts on that and a write up if anyone has one for the HHR SS.

Can anyone guide me in the best place to get my car running very nice with a great intake system after the turbo upgrade? Does the intake systems increase the boost numbers at all and make the spool louder?

Thanks for all the help in advance, I appreciate it!
Skip the upgrade and get a trifecta tune. Its only 300 bucks. My hhr went from running 15psi to 25psi after the tune and it turns it into a whole different car. It will light the tires at 40 mph now if I stomp on the gas.
Old 05-09-2010, 01:27 PM

If you like having a warranty, stick with the GM upgrade.
The intake system is actually very good stock, unlike the Cobalt SS. The gains from the K&N setup are modest at best, and it's not cheap.
Old 05-09-2010, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by mistermike
If you like having a warranty, stick with the GM upgrade.
The intake system is actually very good stock, unlike the Cobalt SS. The gains from the K&N setup are modest at best, and it's not cheap.
Alright cool, Why would i get a non-gm tuner if the gm upgrade gives you about the same boost numbers as the other tuners and keeps your warranty? I would like to keep the warranty on any tuners since i would hate to mess something up and then have them right my warranty off.

I'm going to be upgrading the IC piping, down pipe and exhaust but i would like to keep my warranty as i said the best i can.

Thanks!
Old 05-09-2010, 04:36 PM

Yeah, I would stick with the GM tune. There is always something faster out there. The upgrade power is good enough that I can live with it. Just watch for problems with the down pipe and IC pipes. I noticed some people are throwing codes.
Old 05-09-2010, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by terryk
If you put an after market tune in and there is a problem, GM can void your warranty. The dealer and GM can find out of it's there or if it's been in there in the past. The dealer can ignore it if they choose and fix what ever failure there is but that is up to the dealer to not report it to GM. GM is pretty clear, they don't want them in there, they track it and if given the choice will block your warranty.

What you do is your choice.
That's what i'm saying, why go with a tune that will produce 20+ psi that will void it when you can get the GM one and push around the same numbers boost wise and keep your warranty. I know the price is different but no sense in being cheap here.
Old 05-09-2010, 05:19 PM

GM cant see that you have the upgrade. It doesnt leave a footprint from what I have been told. Im not big on buying a bunch of stuff for 500+ dollars and then pay 200 or so to install it when I can spend half and have the stock tune and mod tune where I can switch between the two. If I take it to the dealer, I just leave the cruise control off and it has the stock tune and produces 15psi max. But, if you like to spend more than twice as much as a tune for less performance, its a free country. For now at least.
Old 05-09-2010, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by thumper36
GM cant see that you have the upgrade. It doesnt leave a footprint from what I have been told. Im not big on buying a bunch of stuff for 500+ dollars and then pay 200 or so to install it when I can spend half and have the stock tune and mod tune where I can switch between the two. If I take it to the dealer, I just leave the cruise control off and it has the stock tune and produces 15psi max. But, if you like to spend more than twice as much as a tune for less performance, its a free country. For now at least.
Cost me 545 for my GM tune... installed.

for me, I wanted to retain my warranty

Nothing against the Trifecta tune, but what if a tech puts the car in cruise. or if GM reads some of these posts and or just figures out that the cruise button may be "hiding" a tune??

also been running a K&N drop in since about 50 miles I now have 13,000 with no issues at all.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:19 PM

GM Upgrade keep the warranty is the safest thing.

The aftermarket tunes are good if you are willing to accept the responsibility and plan to add more power.

The Cold Air intake other SS from KNN adds 9 HP as it is not bad to start with. The Drop in filters add the ability to clean it but little power.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by peevlos
Cost me 545 for my GM tune... installed.

for me, I wanted to retain my warranty

Nothing against the Trifecta tune, but what if a tech puts the car in cruise. or if GM reads some of these posts and or just figures out that the cruise button may be "hiding" a tune??

also been running a K&N drop in since about 50 miles I now have 13,000 with no issues at all.
Thats very true, to be safe I will always flash it back to the stock setting before I take it in to be safe. I just got the dual tune because my wife drives and I want her to stay in the stock tune. Either way, they are both good mods, I just couldnt see paying double for less. But, I see where you guys that want a 100 percent guarantee with the warranty come from.

Quick Reply: Just got a SS, Few Questions about mods