2.0L Performance Tech 260hp (235hp auto) Turbocharged SS tuner version. 260 lb-ft of torque

K&N idea

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 10:33 AM

K&N idea

I have read in other posts here about the use of the K&N air intake kit available for our cars. I am considering purchasing the kit or maybe just the air filter. K&N claims an aprox. 9 hp gain. I don't want to debate their numbers and I have read about some claims about the MAF sensor problems. What I want to know is what if you just put the larger K&N filter cover on the stock airbox along with their larger filter and leave their specially designed air tube off. My reason for this is I don't want to dig too deep and start taking more things off then I need to. I realize this may change K&N's 9hp claim but maybe it would be a good comprimise without taking too many things apart. My thought is that it will be a larger air cleaner then stock so it should make a small modest gain. Any input? Thanks
Old 07-06-2010, 10:57 AM

Max HP for the HHRs is around 6000 rpm. Do you drive your HHR at 6000 rpm? If you do and believe the 6 HP gain, spend your money.

You buy a K&N (IMHO) is that you buy it once and not again. I have K&N filters on three of my cars.. One I've owned for 23 years, another I've owned for 14 years, the third came with a K&N filter when I bought the car.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:38 PM

K & N's let in more air. They also let in more dirt. Name your poison.
Old 07-06-2010, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by corvairman
I have read in other posts here about the use of the K&N air intake kit available for our cars. I am considering purchasing the kit or maybe just the air filter. K&N claims an aprox. 9 hp gain. I don't want to debate their numbers and I have read about some claims about the MAF sensor problems. What I want to know is what if you just put the larger K&N filter cover on the stock airbox along with their larger filter and leave their specially designed air tube off. My reason for this is I don't want to dig too deep and start taking more things off then I need to. I realize this may change K&N's 9hp claim but maybe it would be a good comprimise without taking too many things apart. My thought is that it will be a larger air cleaner then stock so it should make a small modest gain. Any input? Thanks
If all of the parts fit as you suggest I would say go for it and see how you like it. I don't see any harm in trying it.
Old 07-06-2010, 04:09 PM

The oil that K&N offers is pure snake oil.

Spend your money on something that really offers a real HP gain.
Old 07-07-2010, 05:54 AM

THe K&N filters to make more power. Generally they are small numbers depending on the application.

It is not snake oil, It will not kill your engine. But it is a small gain.

I have uese their products in the fast for many mile and not failures. I have gained in the mid RPM range and up performance and with the intake kit I did pick up a solid 1 MPG.

The drop in filters are limited in their improvments the intake kit is where most will see any improvment as the factory systems tend to be restrictive because of noise dampening. The KNN will be more nosiy whick for some is great other hate it.

The bottom line like em or not the Drop in Filters= little improvment the intake Kits = small improvments. Most damage is due to over oiling as they take little oil.

There is a lot of BS things on the market like the Tornado etc but the KNN is one that does work but just don't expect big gains with any bolt on part.

9 HP is not a big deal and even less is less of a no big deal. I would either put the intake kit on like it should be or just not bother with it at all.

#1 rule in any bolt opn performance items is they are small gains do not epect much seat of the pants feel improvment. Few will feel under 10 HP. Second don't expect items to add HP on top of each other. Exhaust 20 HP plus KNN 9 HP will not equal 29 HP in most cases.

There are snake oil things like the Tornado and E3 plugs and other item so buyer beware. You don't usally get something for nothing.

Same for most non turbo programers. Performance gains with out playing with the boost are generally small. Unless the company has really missed the mark on a NA engine little is there to gain.

If you want real performance gains you need to go more internal and more expensive.