2.0L Performance Tech 260hp (235hp auto) Turbocharged SS tuner version. 260 lb-ft of torque

Not Too Impressed

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 04:50 PM

Not Too Impressed

Spent the day at the dealer having the Turbo Upgrade installed. Spent $565.00 thru the dealer for the kit. Could have bought it online for $476 but went with the dealer instead. I didn't want to get in a situation were something didn't work or fit and it would become my problem because I furnished the GM parts. After the MAP sensor install the tech couldn't reach the location to download the map. Claimed all he could get was put on hold.
Charged 2.5 hours ($176.00) for labor. I was expecting a lot more "seat of the pants" excitement. Noticable but I was expecting more. Seems like I lost a little at a 10 mph roll in firsst gear (5 speed). Doesn't haze the tires like it used to. The digital displays indicated 10-15 HP and maybe 25 LB-ft of torque more. At least the learn down mode is disabled (I hope). Any additional mods should give some HP.
Old 04-26-2010, 04:58 PM

Something dosent sound right with your install. My Stage 1 kit made a big difference on my 5 speed in 2 - 5 th gear. What kind of boost are you getting in 2 - 5 th? Out of the box I never saw much over 16 PSI and now the kit it pulls up to 23 PSI. G.B.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by DAVCOXX
Spent the day at the dealer having the Turbo Upgrade installed. Spent $565.00 thru the dealer for the kit. Could have bought it online for $476 but went with the dealer instead. I didn't want to get in a situation were something didn't work or fit and it would become my problem because I furnished the GM parts. After the MAP sensor install the tech couldn't reach the location to download the map. Claimed all he could get was put on hold.
Charged 2.5 hours ($176.00) for labor. I was expecting a lot more "seat of the pants" excitement. Noticable but I was expecting more. Seems like I lost a little at a 10 mph roll in firsst gear (5 speed). Doesn't haze the tires like it used to. The digital displays indicated 10-15 HP and maybe 25 LB-ft of torque more. At least the learn down mode is disabled (I hope). Any additional mods should give some HP.
Sounds as if something is not right.

You are the only one to feel so little Change.

How much max boost do you get? I too see 23 PSI max and 15-18 part throttle.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:32 PM

I was going to say. The upgrade was extraordinarily noticeable. Even that's a understatement.

Did they install BOTH map sensors AND the new code for the PCM? From your post it sounds like they didn't do the bottom map?
Old 04-26-2010, 05:57 PM

I agree with the above^^

something just does not sound right.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:02 PM

Maybe expecting too much

Maybe I need to drive it some more to fully appreciate the upgrade. I saw 21 psig boost. Maybe after seeing everybody else's post I was expecting it to rip the tires off. I have the Brembo brakes on the front so I suppose I also have posi-traction which may account for a little less wheel spin. I only ran it hard thru third gear. I did check the install. Bosch sensors top and bottom with plenty of black tape (sucky install most likely). I'll pull the tape and inspect the connections. It is an improvement and not getting any codes so I should be happy for that.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:20 PM

I'm not pushing my SS very hard, because the traffic ticket cost here increase exponentially with speed, but every now and then i'm having a little fun, and when fun time comes, I can get 23psi most of the time.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:29 PM

I guess we all are a little crazy. Upgrading our turbos puts a little closer to that drag racing ticket.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by DAVCOXX
Maybe I need to drive it some more to fully appreciate the upgrade. I saw 21 psig boost. Maybe after seeing everybody else's post I was expecting it to rip the tires off. I have the Brembo brakes on the front so I suppose I also have posi-traction which may account for a little less wheel spin. I only ran it hard thru third gear. I did check the install. Bosch sensors top and bottom with plenty of black tape (sucky install most likely). I'll pull the tape and inspect the connections. It is an improvement and not getting any codes so I should be happy for that.
Don't pull the tape if you have 21 PSI and no codes they are fine and you can't tell by looking at them anyway.

I have seen some not even taped. Mine were taped and I put convoluted tubing on them to protect them from tubs. GMPD also recomends that.

Also note if you are used to 300-400 HP cars the power is not as big deal as it is to some. Remember some here have never had a car with a power to weight of this car. While I love my SS it is far from the fasted car I have owned or driven. But it is still impressive for a 4 cylinder as it has V8 like power and is very civil.

The fact I have this power out of 2.0 is what impresses me. My first drive in a 2010 Camaro SS was not all that impressive as the acceleration was similar to the SS with the upgrade. It was good but just not a shock to the system.

I have driven some cars that just flat out make you say wow but they are rare and often track cars.

It is mostly what you are used to.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
Mine were taped and I put convoluted tubing on them to protect them from tubs. GMPD also recomends that.
I use Cole Flex for this application. (see left side of page in link)

http://www.e-sonic.com/aboutus/cat/_pages/1121.pdf

Quick Reply: Not Too Impressed