2.0L Performance Tech 260hp (235hp auto) Turbocharged SS tuner version. 260 lb-ft of torque

Okay, I give up!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 10:59 PM

Okay, I give up!

After becoming an HHR panel SS owner on August 3, 2009, I've been drooling about the stage 1 upgrade and a few other extras. By far, the turbo upgrade is number one on my hit parade but here in southern California, we don't have any GM Performance Parts certified dealers (NoCal and AZ are the closest) and the two Chevy guys I trust - Martin and Cormier - say they're blocked from getting the necessary parts and don't have the horses (techs)needed to do the upgrade. So how do other southern California owners of similar motors get the upgrade 1) purchased and 2) properly (emphasis here) installed? Still more than a bit pissed off that some A-hole swiped my XM/OnStar antenna mast but what's $28 among "friends?" Any help/direction greatly appreciated. And a hat tip to this forum/website - just as valuable as my fishing place, bloodydecks.com.
Thanks.
john
Old 10-21-2009, 06:30 PM
Founding Member

98 views and no responses??? Surely one of the socal members can help this brother out.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:54 PM

If you want to come to San Diego I know of a place that will install it. BTW, just b/c they are a dealer doesn't mean they will order or install the kit. I bought the kit from crate engine depot, then had to find a local dealer that would install it as the dealer I bought my SS from (that is a GMPP dealer) would not touch it. Another local dealer that is not installed it no questions asked and for a great price.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:20 PM

Listen, it's all about the dealer wanting to be customer friendly or not. I would say that if a dealer had the attitude that they don't want to be bothered then they probably have the same attitude about giving you a good deal on your next purchase because it doesn't favor them to do so. Hopefully those dealers are on GM's cut list for the next few years. Being a GM dealer goes far beyond selling cars...it is suppose to be about the customers.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:56 PM

Not to hijack the thread, but this has relavance. My local dealer has shysters for their sales dept and a great service dept. They seem to be disjointed and operating as separate entities. I don't know if it is official.

Bottom line is if your're looking for good service (i.e. installation of GM Turbo Upgrade Kit), do not let the dealer's sales performance sway your perception of the service department. Interview them as separate businesses, then draw your conclusion.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:07 PM

Great advise.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:01 PM

Try contacting "Retrorod" through the boards here for a referral. He owns a kit equipped '08 and used to be the service manager at Courtesy Chevrolet of Thousand Oaks until it shut down recently. Hopefully he'll be checking in once he gets his home PC up and running per one of his last posts.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:26 PM
HYROOF

Stage kit option

John, my father in law and I purchased two SS panels back in May from Quality Chevrolet in Escondido. We use the cars primarily for our shop and commuting. We have a relationship with Quality as we buy parts from them on a daily basis. I have several emails from the Service Mgr asking when I am bringing them in for the stage upgrade. Although they have not done an HHR, the are familiar with the Cobalts. They seem to have no issue with getting the parts.

To comment on the upgrade...I have hesitated on taking the cars in because I have been told that the kit will govern the car to the 120mph range. While that is probably fast enough, I have had the 5spd up to 135 prior to putting the company logo on. If I take the logo off in the future... I don't what to be hindered when dealing with some euro trash!

Old 10-22-2009, 10:41 PM

My local dealer (Rio Vista) is straight up honest and capable (both sales and service), and they actually called me about, and asked if I wanted the stage 1 upgrade. I do not understand why your dealer would not be helpful in that regard.
Old 10-23-2009, 07:22 PM

There is no special requirement to install the kit, other than the technician be reasonably intelligent and willing to follow instructions.

Quick Reply: Okay, I give up!