2.0L Performance Tech 260hp (235hp auto) Turbocharged SS tuner version. 260 lb-ft of torque

Secret Services Intake

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 01:28 PM

Secret Services Intake

I am highly tempted to give the fine people over at Secret Services a call and have them hook me up with one of their sweet looking intakes. However, I have a few concerns I was hoping you all could help me with first...

1. Does it throw any codes? Or does the computer learn it pretty seamlessly?

2. Is the HP gain worth what they charge for it?

3. Is the construction pretty good quality ( I have never dealt with this guys before )?

4. Is there anything else you think I should be aware of before investing in this product?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 11-08-2009, 02:01 PM

Anyone?
Old 11-08-2009, 02:04 PM

You could try sending a pm to bartSS. According to his sig, he's running the Secret Service intake
Old 11-08-2009, 05:25 PM

I've heard nothing but good from that company. Im not sure of the performance gains from it but I guess it wouldn't hurt. My fear here in AZ is heat soak from the metal intake. I guess if I bough one, I would put heat wrap around it. :)
Old 11-08-2009, 05:57 PM

On an intake, my research told me that for an intake to show gains, it needs to be a sealed box breathing outside (not underhood) air. Anything else and you are erasing any gains you get from flow. I also wanted a dry filter element, so I bought the GMPP intake so I knew it wouldn't throw a code due to oiled sensors. It is costly, but I think it is the best one out there. I think the K&N will give the same benefits, but it has an oiled filter. I have the GMPP on my car, and it really adds power, it's well engineered in fit and finish, simple to install, looks good, and sounds good. What you would expect from a factory engineered hop-up part. I hope this helps. God Bless, Marc
Old 11-08-2009, 05:59 PM

My apologies.....

My apologies, I didn't see that your post was in the 2.0 section. The GMPP doesn't work on a turbo. God Bless, Marc
Old 11-08-2009, 08:19 PM

Talking

You bring up an important item about no GMPP intake for the SS. Maybe the factory system is pretty good. The K&N claims 9hp, but the dyno graph they provide shows a reduction below 3k rpm. Any gains maybe mostly the element. They provide a taller(uglier) box cover. I suggest someone makes a spacer for the box cover and instead of a cone filter, try an oval shaped cone that K&N makes. There will be cool air from the fender. The higher cover makes easier air entry into the filter. The oval shape provides more filter surface area(less restrictive). Presto, stealth hi-po intake. Last item, a heat shield plate fabed for under the box because it sits right on the exhuast manifold. That's got to be worth something. I'm surprised no one's brought that up. Any thought's on all this theory.
Old 11-08-2009, 11:11 PM

Another individual here used heat insulation on the intake box and measured the difference between inside and ambiant air temps...said they were only a few deg apart..
Old 11-11-2009, 08:23 PM

KOOL
Old 11-11-2009, 09:54 PM
XXL

Originally Posted by 3dmaint
Last item, a heat shield plate fabed for under the box because it sits right on the exhuast manifold. That's got to be worth something.
Look again. The airbox sits above the cam cover, and there's an air gap between it and the engine. That air gap provides some amount of air flow/movement between the engine and the bottom of the airbox.

Quick Reply: Secret Services Intake