2.0L Performance Tech 260hp (235hp auto) Turbocharged SS tuner version. 260 lb-ft of torque

Spec Stage 3 installed...

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 09:13 PM

Spec Stage 3 installed...

just got the car back tonight and so far so good. had the work done in houston by barr tuning. well before anyone says anything about posting pics,i don't have them nor any was taken,sorry. my first advice would be to anyone who is buying this clutch,go ahead and get the fly wheel at the same time. yes,you are looking at $1000 for kit and flywheel,but will be worth it. i didn't buy the flywheel,that's why i'm telling you to do it. more on this later.

well,i guess there isn't much to write about,since spec recommends a 500 mile break in and you better believe it's going to get done right! peddle pressure is much stiffer than stock,but not to the point where your leg is shaking to hold the clutch in. i also noticed the peddle don't travel far down to the floor like the stocker,which is the way i like it. now,like i said earlier,get the flywheel!! with the spec clutch,after you resurface the flywheel,the holes where the dow pins go have to be drilled bigger. not sure if the flywheel from spec comes with this done or not(i'm thinking it is). this cost me some $$$$$. don't know if i got bent over or not,but i know the shop that did my clutch is top notch. he is expensive,but you leave feeling good about your car. the flywheel was sent off to get resurfaced and that shop sent it to be drilled. this costed me an extra $300 i wasn't ready to spend,but well worth it for the peace of mind factor. so if the spec flywheel comes drilled for the new dow pins,get the flywheel!!!

just want to stand on my soap box for a minute folks. i know peeps out there are going to try to find a cheaper way and if you do,props to you. however,i find the old saying is true,especially when trying to up hp in cars using the cheaper brand/shop/way,"you get what you pay for". i'm about to stop modding the car shortly. it has already surpassed my expectations and others. a couple of more bolt ons(3 to be exact) and i'm done. i say this to say,please don't bash,if nothing good to say,don't post,just read. not calling anyone out,but i read between the lines. i feel like sometimes people get a little testy with the "you paid too much", i ain't given that much money for so and so" etc.. keep it to yourselves.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:43 PM

how many hours to install the clutch? what other mods are you going to do?
Old 02-05-2009, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by bodywerks
how many hours to install the clutch? what other mods are you going to do?
it says it's a 6 hour job,but mine took a couple of days due to the flywheel beig sent to two places.

exhaust/dp,cai,and BOV...all by hahn.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:15 AM

my favorite quote - Do it once, do it right.

a good clutch shouldn't be overlooked
Old 02-05-2009, 09:36 AM

After the break-in, let us know what you think about it under full power
Old 02-05-2009, 12:35 PM

Man, a Spec 3 is a pretty mean clutch for a daily driver. I've got an Textralia ExoSkel in my GTO and that thing's no joke either.

Make sure your break in period includes plenty of stop and go driving. Obviously logging 500 miles on the freeway with 2 stops for food isn't going to give the clutch much of a workout. Most chattering will smooth out by 500 and a couple of high RPM launches after that will burnish it in nicely and reduce tendency to be grabby. Looking forward to seeing your long term impressions.

How did the wear pattern look on the OEM clutch? Any discoloration of the flywheel?
Old 02-05-2009, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by mistermike
How did the wear pattern look on the OEM clutch? Any discoloration of the flywheel?
Ditto

"just want to stand on my soap box for a minute folks. i know peeps out there are going to try to find a cheaper way and if you do,props to you. however,i find the old saying is true,especially when trying to up hp in cars using the cheaper brand/shop/way,"you get what you pay for". i'm about to stop modding the car shortly. it has already surpassed my expectations and others. a couple of more bolt ons(3 to be exact) and i'm done. i say this to say,please don't bash,if nothing good to say,don't post,just read. not calling anyone out,but i read between the lines. i feel like sometimes people get a little testy with the "you paid too much", i ain't given that much money for so and so" etc.. keep it to yourselves."

Good advice.... If you're rodding cars it gets expensive quick.... and even at that you have situations where you buy parts and either it does fit or you change your program. Now ask me how I know this...
Old 02-05-2009, 03:59 PM

didn't see what the flywheel looked like as i wasn't there. they said it was glazed pretty good though. the only way i could see this happeing is from when i put my hahn tune on. that's when i had roughly 500 miles on the car,mostly highway. from day one,i had my foot in it with the tune. i guess my stocker wasn't ready for the big "shock" in hp/tq???

my break in plans includes puposely driving in the houston rush hour lol. for about three days or so, i plan on driving the 610 loop and head 45 south to home.