2.0L Performance Tech 260hp (235hp auto) Turbocharged SS tuner version. 260 lb-ft of torque

Stage 1 Changes??

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by SS fan
If you do it, remember to get the harness, and keep the wires away from the condenser, when the direction of it is rotated there isn't much room. My dealer put this in to keep it back.
What exactly am I looking at here in this photo? and what needs to be kept away from where? Sorry Im new to this car and only had it for 6 mos.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
1st off. My pet peeve on this. It is not called a Stage 1.That is a made up internet name. Correct name is GM Turbo Upgrade kit,or,GMTU kit.Yeah, the Stage 1 name sounds cool but is incorrect.
(sorry.this is not directed at you personnaly RBodeman,just those that use the wrong description of the GMTU)
2nd.
That has always bugged me too, until yesterday. I was replacing the lower TMAP and connector and wanted to make sure the wiring was correct. Pulled out the install paperwork that came with the kit and noticed that the top of sheet refered to it as the Stage kit. On a side note that sensor is a pain in the a** to get to!
Old 03-17-2012, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by RBodeman
What exactly am I looking at here in this photo? and what needs to be kept away from where? Sorry Im new to this car and only had it for 6 mos.
To keep the lower TMAP sensor harness from rubbing against the AC compressor his dealer installed the silver curved steel bracket seen in the pic. It is pulling the IC pipe slightly forward to provide clearance. The new Bosch sensors that come with the kit are a different size than the stock ones and the lower one if a very poor fit. You actually have to file a part of it off to make it fit. D'Oh!
Old 03-17-2012, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
1st off. My pet peeve on this. It is not called a Stage 1.That is a made up internet name. Correct name is GM Turbo Upgrade kit,or,GMTU kit.Yeah, the Stage 1 name sounds cool but is incorrect.
I couldn't find a badge that said GM Turbo Upgrade! Haha!

Also, the stage kit is nice because I still have over 4 years of warranty on my SS. Do not want to void that!

Old 03-18-2012, 04:50 PM

I have 3 yrs warranty on mine too. Definately a worthwhile upgrade, especially on my auto. As far as expensive, where else will you find a 55 hp, factory warrantied upgrade for $6-700? I promise you, NOWHERE! BMW, M-B, and Volvo all charge thousands of $$$ for their factory upgrades. This is a downright STEAL!
Old 03-18-2012, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Vcode455
I have 3 yrs warranty on mine too. Definately a worthwhile upgrade, especially on my auto. As far as expensive, where else will you find a 55 hp, factory warrantied upgrade for $6-700? I promise you, NOWHERE! BMW, M-B, and Volvo all charge thousands of $$$ for their factory upgrades. This is a downright STEAL!
........and if you get better gas MPG from it. It will actually pay for itself after a few years. WOW!!

I just need to find a dealership I trust. The two I have used so far I dont like because they swear the clunking from my manual transmission is normal. One even told me its normal backlash for when the transmission gets hot. Yeah sure, thats why I still hear it after long trips and after a day at the autocross.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:35 PM

Are you talking about when you back off the gas in lower gears you get the noise and it feels like slop in the drive train? I believe the owners manual tells you not to do that. You can do it deftly with the gas pedal by backing off slowly. That bothered me too in the beginning and others on this site have questioned it before in other posts. I know it is not at all like other manual trannys that I have owned. I think the trick here is to keep the gas foot firmly planted on the pedal !!!!
Old 03-19-2012, 05:54 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Victory Red SS
That has always bugged me too, until yesterday. I was replacing the lower TMAP and connector and wanted to make sure the wiring was correct. Pulled out the install paperwork that came with the kit and noticed that the top of sheet refered to it as the Stage kit. On a side note that sensor is a pain in the a** to get to!
Well that got me thinking, so I pulled out the install instructions. I see LNF Turbo Upgrade kit on the first page. Then on the third page it refers to the Stage Kit Tmap Sensor. Hell, I guess GM doesn't even know what they named it.
BTW.Mine came from CED with the Helm reprinted instructions.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Sidecardog1
Are you talking about when you back off the gas in lower gears you get the noise and it feels like slop in the drive train? I believe the owners manual tells you not to do that. You can do it deftly with the gas pedal by backing off slowly. That bothered me too in the beginning and others on this site have questioned it before in other posts. I know it is not at all like other manual trannys that I have owned. I think the trick here is to keep the gas foot firmly planted on the pedal !!!!
Yes I get it when I lift off the gas when cruising at low steeds in 3rd gear. But I more so get it with just regular driving shifting from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. For the Manual to tell you not to do something is BS to me. The sounds should not be there. It figures Saab went under. If this transmission is the crap they made.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:54 PM

make sure its not your motor mounts..the auto's do this too...Dealer says its not right but mother GM wont replace unless they are broken....which is why the stage guys are having wiring problems..too much slop and too tight clearance

Quick Reply: Stage 1 Changes??