2.0L Performance Tech 260hp (235hp auto) Turbocharged SS tuner version. 260 lb-ft of torque

Throttle surging w/Auto Trans finally eliminated....K&N is the answer!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 11:05 PM

Thumbs up Throttle surging w/Auto Trans finally eliminated....K&N is the answer!!!!

Some of you may recall during the last year, I along with other automatic trans owners have had the plaque of surging while driving at normal speeds on the highway. To refresh your memory, this usually occurs when driving in "D" or "I" and either Launch control or normal, it really doesn't matter. What would happen is that when you would depress the throttle slightly to complete a passing maneuver you would feel a surge, a lunge, or felt like the trans was "hunting" for the right gear to match the rpm's you were trying to achieve. Even though some of us have a tune, we still experience this problem. With others, we made sure all of our connection were tight, and at times that would correct the problem for a short time.
Well, I finally have found the answer & solution to this dilemma, it is our air filter. I will explain; having owned the SS now for 17 months and now 36,000 miles, I finally changed the air filter. Although I was getting great gas mileage, and still performing well with the Hahn (BSR) tune, I still would get the surge as described above. Just switched the filter with the K&N replacement @ 35725 miles, and let me tell you, what a difference. The surge has been completely eliminated. Now when I step on the gas in whatever gear (and I always drive in comp mode, except wet roads) the response is immediate, and the r's just climb from there. I feel better throttle response all through the gears and the surge is gone, I have been testing all week. I know there are other hi-po filters out there and I am sure they will work just as well, but our stock filter ended up leaving a lot to be desired.
And BTW when I keep my foot out of it, the mileage has gone up, got my highest mileage to date last week on the way to work, 34.8 mpg and that is driving between 60-80 mph cruising. Highest I ever hit before was 33 mph, I usually average 29.2 or better depending on the drive. All in all I say the K&N is a good investment, and us Auto SS people will notice the difference.

Last edited by SSROADSTER; 09-10-2009 at 03:15 PM.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:23 AM

Filter question

Where did you get the filter and what was the cost. Also did you just replace the filter or get the whole K&N air charger?
Old 09-10-2009, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by cva617680
Where did you get the filter and what was the cost. Also did you just replace the filter or get the whole K&N air charger?
I bought the filter from Summit for $62 delivered to my front door....I may have paid a few extra $$ but ordered on a Tuesday and had it on Thursday.
I was happy
Old 09-10-2009, 08:02 PM

Can you put up a part # for the filter? I was looking at using an AEM dryflow, but I'm not sure the one I have would work.

Later
Allex
Old 09-10-2009, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by asanti
Can you put up a part # for the filter? I was looking at using an AEM dryflow, but I'm not sure the one I have would work.

Later
Allex
no problem, K& N E-1989, same part # that has been posted in various threads.....cost was $52.95 shipping was $9.95

I also had an Amsoil EA filter that I used in the SSR that I had with great results. If the AEM filter that you have is the right one for your HHR, then I am sure that will work just as good as the K&N. I just feel that the stock filter is more restrictive that what we tend to believe and I am sure mine was getting more clogged by the mile............