2.0L Performance Tech 260hp (235hp auto) Turbocharged SS tuner version. 260 lb-ft of torque

Trifecta + Auto+Drag racing

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 10:11 PM

Trifecta + Auto+Drag racing

I am in the process of getting a Trifecta tune on my 09 HHR ss Auto. I am getting a 22PSI tune. I asked for 22psi in every gear, and threw a set of mickey Thompson et street tires in the front. Other then the Trifecta i only have a Drop in K&N Filter. My concern is how the automatic will hold up to the tune? Right now with the new tires it feels pretty strong, but nothing crazy, and the tires dead hook, so i don't have to worry about wheel hop. My plan is to leave it stock with the tune and do some drag racing with it launching it at 2k. Just wondering of my tranny will hold up.

I found this online.
Hydra-Matic 4T45 Hybrid

Specifications

Type: four-speed front-wheel-drive, electronically controlled, automatic overdrive transaxle with electronically controlled torque converter clutch.
Hybrid Features: auxiliary oil pump, pipes, check valve, and specific electronic controls

Engine Range: 2.4L

Max Gearbox Torque: 325 lb.-ft.

Weight: 188 lbs.

Assembly Site: Windsor, Ontario

Applications: Chevrolet Malibu, Saturn Aura, Saturn Vue

This is the manual.

GM Europe F35

Specifications
Type: transverse front wheel drive, five speed manual transaxle.

Engine Range: 2.0L
Max Gearbox Torque: 258 lb.-ft.

Weight: 99 lbs.

Applications: Chevrolet Cobalt SS, Chevrolet HHR SS

Does this mean the auto is stronger then the stick? and i don't need to worry about it?

any advice would help. Thanks.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by Dieselracer
This is the manual.

GM Europe F35

Specifications
Type: transverse front wheel drive, five speed manual transaxle.

Engine Range: 2.0L
Max Gearbox Torque: 258 lb.-ft.

Weight: 99 lbs.

Applications: Chevrolet Cobalt SS, Chevrolet HHR SS
the max gearbox torque is way off.......... last time i dyno'd, i put down 362wtq on stock manual transmission and i know Cobalt guys that have put down more wtq on the stock tranny. just throwing that out there.

anywho...... the auto is best for drag racing. but unfortunately i have no clue about them.

i know you want to keep it stock with just a tune & filter...... but i'm going to HIGHLY recommend you get a catless downpipe & hot side charge piping (with silicone couplers & t-bolt clamps).
Old 05-05-2011, 01:03 AM

I think you'll be o.k. with the auto trans, and tune.
I've got a SS auto, and I have been running a Trifecta tune[about 25 lbs. boost] for a year, and running her hard at times. So far no problems what so ever. Once you learn how to launch the auto, it's the only way to go.
I would recommend the solid engine mount, to keep engine from jumping around on hard launches. got the TTR mount and happy with it. "Moon"
Old 05-05-2011, 09:31 AM
Premium Member

Moon's right the TTR upper mount made it easy to get .....Gone.

might as well get the rear sway bar while you are at it save a little shipping.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:01 PM

I will look into the engine mount, i will be torque up to 2k to launch the HHR. I am just worried about the transmission, i have been reading mix debates about it. I will start saving up to upgrade the tranny, but that might be a while before i could afford it. What other advantages does the solid motor mount give?
Old 05-05-2011, 06:44 PM

The engine mount, keeps the engine from rocking back and forth, wasting energy, not to mention, not good on parts. Puts the power down better with the solid mount.
The stock mount has a lot of slop in it. I was amassed when I pulled it off, just how much slop it had.
Like i said: you should'nt have a tranny problem, but nothing is a 100%. Anything subjected to track conditions, anything can and sometimes will break. You pays your money, and you take your chances. Or as they say "If you can't afford to run with the big dogs, then stay on the porch". "Moon"
Old 05-06-2011, 03:51 PM

Have an '08 Auto Stage 1 and sometimes it slips the clutches b/n 1st and 2nd. Over 300 ft/lbs is very near the limit of the stock tranny. Let us know of any upgrades you decide on. Mine makes me smile every day.
Old 05-07-2011, 11:43 PM

Stage one does'nt give you the firming up of the auto shifts, like the Trefecta tune gives you. On my trifecta tune, Vince firmed you my shifts, to where I get no slippage, and I'm over 300 H.P., and I'm not easy on it.
Need to consider the trifecta tune, or you won't be putting down all the power very long, plus toasting a tranny maybe. "Moon"
Old 05-08-2011, 12:59 AM

So what youre saying is the trifectta tune could EXTEND the life of the tranny?
Old 05-08-2011, 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by moonsign
Stage one does'nt give you the firming up of the auto shifts, like the Trefecta tune gives you. On my trifecta tune, Vince firmed you my shifts, to where I get no slippage, and I'm over 300 H.P., and I'm not easy on it.
Need to consider the trifecta tune, or you won't be putting down all the power very long, plus toasting a tranny maybe. "Moon"
Actually he doesn't. I emailed him and he told me he can't tune anything on the trans. But that the trans will compensate for the extra power. so once hes done tuning mine, if he ever figures out wtf he is doing, so far he has wasted a lot of time, its been a couple of weeks and I am still on my original tune. I will get Hp tuners, to firm up the trans. Shift actually feel about the same as stock.

Quick Reply: Trifecta + Auto+Drag racing