2.0L Performance Tech 260hp (235hp auto) Turbocharged SS tuner version. 260 lb-ft of torque

tune installed!!! wow....

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 10:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by HipHotRod
I totally feel you on the IC piping issue and Ive followed your threads. Doesnt seem real bright to use a plastic pipe at all. Hopefully the 09's will have all the little bugs and quirks worked out.
Using plastic pipe is "bright" if you're trying to bring a car to market at a certain price point. Even most turbo diesel pickups use plastic piping in the intercooler system. Costs less, good for stock boost levels, discourages modification, and works well if manufactured properly. In this case, mightymouse's car got a bad IC from a vendor who sold the bad part to GM and put it on his car.

I'm hoping we'll see a cottage industry with these new Ecotec turbos like we've seen with the old Buick 3.8 turbos.
Old 08-02-2008, 02:06 AM

Congrats mightymouse on finelly getting your car back and I am glad to hear that you like the BSR tune-welcome to the club...

I am going to Yorkville today to pick up my SS from Bill. All I can tell you all is it will be on the dyno this morning testing some new parts and I am sure Bill will put up a post later.
Old 08-02-2008, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by turbo wanabe
Congrats mightymouse on finelly getting your car back and I am glad to hear that you like the BSR tune-welcome to the club...

I am going to Yorkville today to pick up my SS from Bill. All I can tell you all is it will be on the dyno this morning testing some new parts and I am sure Bill will put up a post later.
i will be following this!!!! please post asap!!!
Old 08-02-2008, 06:12 AM

sorry hhrcrafty,but that plastic makes me want to modify it. had that part been aluminum from the get go,i would ave been fine. the defect was it was melted or glued on wrong. also with the flat spots it's holding the car back. on the trucks,atleast the y are round throughout. if they want to use plastic,make the whole system round instead of "pancake" style.
Old 08-02-2008, 09:00 AM
Banned

I don't disagree at all that using aluminum is a superior method, but these are mass-produced vehicles being sold under $25k. Can you imagine the cost if GM had a vendor fabricate aluminum intercooler piping for a vehicle at that price point? It wouldn't work.

Also, the possibility exists of a bad weld getting through here and there and you could have had the same problem with aluminum. As far as power goes, GM had a target horsepower output for both engines because of the limits of the transmission for warranty purposes. They have to make money on these cars plus guarantee them for a certain amount of time, so cuts have to be made somewhere.
Old 08-04-2008, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by c2vette
"all i have to say is wow. i didn't even go full throttle and thing was moving...with the traction control on!!!!"

Unless they have changed the parameters, the tune disables traction control regardless of whether or not you push the button.
Wow...Thats a major short coming

Stock or modified I would want the car to have TC in the event my wife was driving in the rain.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:19 PM

Mighty mouse, help an ignorant SS owner out... shoot me the link to the site!
Old 08-04-2008, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by ColeTrickle
Wow...Thats a major short coming

Stock or modified I would want the car to have TC in the event my wife was driving in the rain.
When we get to the rainy season, I am putting the stock tune back, so that I regain TC, and also because that much hp is pretty much useless in the wet as far as I am concerned. If the TC uses the brakes (as well as engine parameters) to limit slip like most do, it would be much harder on the drivetrain with the extra torque fighting the brakes, (my theory of why they disable it)......man, that just brought back nasty memories of when I exploded a UJ on my dad's 427 Caprice by standing on the brakes and throttle at the same time to do a 4th smoky burnout. At least I knew how to fix it (you can just imagine how that sounded with a driveshaft flailing around under the car before getting launched sideways. Took out the differential yoke too, but not the splines on the trans for some reason (what a DS teenager).
Old 08-04-2008, 09:53 PM
XXL

Originally Posted by c2vette
When we get to the rainy season, I am putting the stock tune back, so that I regain TC, and also because that much hp is pretty much useless in the wet as far as I am concerned.
I don't think this is accurate. I can DEFINITELY tell whether TC is on or off in mine. As for putting the stock tune on during rainy weather... that's fine, but maybe you and your wife ought to go out and do some practice driving in the rain. It's not THAT much of a tune.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by XXL
I don't think this is accurate. I can DEFINITELY tell whether TC is on or off in mine. As for putting the stock tune on during rainy weather... that's fine, but maybe you and your wife ought to go out and do some practice driving in the rain. It's not THAT much of a tune.
Are you telling me that your tune includes normal operation of the TC??? That's brand new if so. Mine smokes the tires in first and second with or without TC light on (no difference) and Hahn confirmed it is disabled with th etune. I don't spin the tires in the dry in normal driving, but I know wet will be a nuisance without TC.

Quick Reply: tune installed!!! wow....