2.2L Performance Tech 16 valve 143 hp EcoTec with 150 lb-ft of torque

2.2l turbo for hhr

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 12:55 PM

2.2l turbo for hhr

HI everyone,
Came off the cobalt site and found alpine-development a maker of a turbo system for the 2.2l ion and cobalt. Called and spoke to the engineer on the project and asked could i make this work on my HHR. He said yes basically everything is bolt on some driling is involved, but nothing else seems very dificult. The downers are the intercooler wont be possible, but they will drop the price around 2800. THey told me once they finish moving the facility they will work on a topmounted intercooler. It uses a piggyback ECU, but it seems it has worked on several cars without a problem ION and cobalt and they have video of a 2.2 on a dyno at the site. NUmbers (intercooled) 212 hp and 221 torque. Thought I woud let you guys know. I am debating where to pull the money from , but I am definitly convinced on this setup over others.
Old 04-12-2007, 01:01 PM

pics form the site

http://www.alpine-developments.us/chevy_cobalt.html
http://www.alpine-developments.us/cobalt_project.htm
http://www.alpine-developments.us/cobalt_dyno.htm

Old 04-12-2007, 01:27 PM

Alpine has a VERY nice setup and proven numbers with an intercooled setup. I fear that a non intercooled setup would not be very good for the HHR though. With the heat soak from the pipes running up and over the engine plus the heat created by the turbo alone wouldn't make as nice of numbers for us. My guess would be to run the intercooler and just get some custom piping made. I personally wouldn't mind shelling out 2800 for a non-intercooled setup since I have my own ideas about a setup that would work a lot better than ANY front or top mount. Thanks for the info!!!!
Old 04-13-2007, 06:37 AM

Intercooler

I took a look at the set-up they have. I have a little experience with turbos and intercooling.
I have a `89 Dodge Caravan Turbo (originally equiped), and I wanted an intercooler. I got one from a Ford Probe, it fit perfectly, and I had some exhaust pipe bent to the shape I wanted, a couple connecting hoses off other donor cars, presto.
The intercooler does help keep the temp down, and it does seem to give more boost, but it wasn`t an absolute necessesary piece, just something I saw and wanted. I also put an intercooler cooler system on to cool things off when I see traffic opening up, after a crawl.
Try to overlook the grimy-ness, this ride has 275,000 miles on it.
Attached Images   
Old 04-13-2007, 10:22 AM

the pics you posted dont work!
Old 04-13-2007, 10:32 AM

06 - did you try the links? The pics weren't in the post for me, but there is some good stuff if you click-click-away!

I hope somebody uses this mod and then takes it to the track! It would be fun to see what "real world" difference there would be between a car with this mod and a Cobalt SS.

Just so long as it isn't my car! I like my warranty!
Old 04-13-2007, 10:40 AM

Yes the pics didnt work BUt i put the corresponding link and there you will see the information. Now I just need to come up with the money.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:18 AM

While BB will offer helpful advice on intercoolering your HHR he in no way thinks the HHR should have anything performance done to it cuz no matter what you do its still a 4 cylinder engine.. and in his words.. no one would take you seriously with a turbo or superchager. Duz this sound like someone you really want to take advice from? I sure wouldnt but what do I know?

Enoonmai - what are you going to do about the turbo intercooler setup if you get one done on you HHR???????????????????
Old 04-13-2007, 12:49 PM

DOnt realy want anyone to take me seriously just want some much needed performance. I had too many peopl take me seriosly when i had my cobaltss/sc.
Old 04-13-2007, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by MyLeftLugNut
While BB will offer helpful advice on intercoolering your HHR he in no way thinks the HHR should have anything performance done to it cuz no matter what you do its still a 4 cylinder engine.. and in his words.. no one would take you seriously with a turbo or superchager. Duz this sound like someone you really want to take advice from? I sure wouldnt but what do I know?

Enoonmai - what are you going to do about the turbo intercooler setup if you get one done on you HHR???????????????????
I never implied that my van was anything other than a fun to drive veh..
Never challenged a Mustang, Porsche, or Trans Am. Just a rush with a Turbo.
Still waiting for your Pix.
Maybe one with a `Stang in your rear view...
PS. Just got back on site, so I won`t ask what kind of relationship you and Enoonmai have

Quick Reply: 2.2l turbo for hhr