2.2L Performance Tech 16 valve 143 hp EcoTec with 150 lb-ft of torque

2.2l turbo for hhr

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 11:53 PM

^-- actually I never met the guy! and he may be referring to your post from another thread where you did say "don't expect anyone to take you seriously even if you did have a turbo or supercharger.." Not talking about your van but the HHR. And there is a video around somewhere of a t'bo van spanking the hell out of a TransAm too! That was awesome. People don't understand the power to be made from a simple thing like a turbo system.

Lug Nut:: get you some pics and post 'em man! I wanna see your ride! And you should come to a local meet sometime!!!!

Anyway, using a top mount water/air setup with a remote res. and a trans cooler to help with water temps. Works really nicely in my friend's Contour SVT that is also t'bo'd. His intercooler is COOL to the touch even after some heavy runs! Really nice setup!
Old 04-14-2007, 06:19 AM

My apologies...

Sorry enOoNmAI, reading his, (I only assume by the username) post, I thought you guys were best buds, hanging out. Seems like you have a secret admirer.
But, if I were in a Mustang and a HHR pulled up, started revving up, egging me on, I`d chuckle, let him leave, and depending on how far the next gas station was, I may blow his doors off, or not.
But, just as the van isn`t a race car, a Turbo/Supercharger would add another level of enjoyment to the HHR.
I`m still looking into an electric turbo, which could be removed and wouldn`t alter the HHR to where it would cost too much to restore if/when I get rid of it.
Old 04-16-2007, 03:36 PM

What do you guys think a better set upthe turbo or Cams and a tune. I found a palce that can tune the 2007 2.2. ANy body know how much power a stage one cam and a header will increaseHP?
Old 04-16-2007, 10:27 PM

Cam/header would be around 15-20 at the wheels if you're lucky. Turbo will bump the 2.2's power from around 150 to over 215!!!! I say go Turbo. You won't be dismayed!
Old 04-30-2007, 02:36 PM

Alpine has a great reputation. I had an Alpine Supercharger in my old Hyundai Tiburon. Absolutely plug-and-play. A lot of guys I know have their superchargers or their turbo kits, all have have had zero problems. I'm sold on this kit for the 2.2L Ecotec. In fact, this should be an easier install on the HHR than on the Cobalt simply because we have so much more room to work with under the hood.

And at 8psi you gain over 80hp and over 85 ft/lbs with stock everything (intake, exhaust, etc), you could easily see gains of 100 hp if you add in a freeflow exhaust and intake.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by alien_sporez
Alpine has a great reputation. I had an Alpine Supercharger in my old Hyundai Tiburon. Absolutely plug-and-play. A lot of guys I know have their superchargers or their turbo kits, all have have had zero problems. I'm sold on this kit for the 2.2L Ecotec. In fact, this should be an easier install on the HHR than on the Cobalt simply because we have so much more room to work with under the hood.

And at 8psi you gain over 80hp and over 85 ft/lbs with stock everything (intake, exhaust, etc), you could easily see gains of 100 hp if you add in a freeflow exhaust and intake.
Yeah what worries me though is the piggy back ecm. The kit looks ok preety much bolt on except for drilling the block for the extra injector.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:53 AM

BY the way we dont get the intercooler in our version of the kit at least not yet the engineer told me they were working on a top mount one for the future.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by cperez1217
BY the way we dont get the intercooler in our version of the kit at least not yet the engineer told me they were working on a top mount one for the future.
Why? Lack of space? It'd be easy to find a FMIC that would fit, I would think.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by cperez1217
Yeah what worries me though is the piggy back ecm. The kit looks ok preety much bolt on except for drilling the block for the extra injector.
WHAA? The 5th injector doesn't go in the block, it goes in the intake. In my old kit on my Tiburon the 7th injector (because it was a V6) was in the intake just before the TB, in the same place you'd put Nitrous sprayer. Besides this kit makes no mention of a 5th injector in the kit parts list. If it does have a 5th injector it would be on the intake, not the block. And installing the extra injector is super-easy install: drill a hole in the intake, thread the grommet, snap in the injector, plug in the pig-tail and fuel supply. Done and done.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:08 AM

Sorry not block fo injector its for oil.Water and oil line installation
1. Remove the water pump feed pipe noting the orientation of the thermostat and the thermostat-retaining ring.

Note for following steps: In order to prevent metal chips from entering the crankcase, it is possible, using compressed air to provide slight pressure to the crankcase via the crankcase vent on the cam cover. If you are not comfortable with this method you will have to remove the oil pan to ensure no metal chips enter the crankcase.
2. Using the oil drain drill jig provided, drill a 9/16 hole in the boss on the engine block. Tap hole for 3/8*18 NPT fitting.

3. Install the 3/8*18 NPT to ½ JIC fitting into the engine block using a suitable thread sealer.
4. Reinstall the water pump feed pipe with the thermostat supplied in kit. Make sure the thermostat-retaining ring is indexed correctly.
5. Tighten the water pump drain plug.
6. Attach the Oil Drain Hose to the Turbo and engine block fittings.
7. Secure the water in and water out hoses on the turbo. Route one line to each radiator hose. It doesn’t matter which hose goes to what radiator hose. Attach each hose to a 5/16*1-3/8*1-3/8 tee supplied. Position a tee by the radiator hose it will be inserted in, and identify a place to cut the hose that will provide for neat hose routing. Repeat procedure for remaining tee. Insert tees and secure with hose clamps provided.

Quick Reply: 2.2l turbo for hhr