2.2L Performance Tech 16 valve 143 hp EcoTec with 150 lb-ft of torque

Airaid intake My Take...

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 06:51 PM

I got the Airaid this week

I got the Airaid this week (Thanks Hib) and so far I like it. There does seem to be an improvement in mileage but have not done any long range highway testing and that is where it should really be noticeable. City driving has way too many variables.
The intake filter assembly is pretty nice designed, fit right on and looks better than stock. Some have paid $275 or more and I would not pay that much for it but I do feel it is a good $200 invesment.
You can hear the intake some and it has a nice low growl. Do not know about performance as it is not a hot rod. My goal here is better mileage and will let you know more as I find out.
As for the CGS I do not like it in the stock form but it could be modified to block off hot air from engine compartment and that would help some. Still if I had to modify it I would start from scratch and make my own. Curly
Old 10-26-2008, 07:04 AM

My update.

Here is my update after a few weeks with Airaid. Hope original poster will also update with his results.
My results showing about 2 to 4 MPG improvement in the city and 3 or 4 on the highway. Personally I expeced a little less in the city and more on the highway. Now I have been through several tanks and my routine is usually the same but still city mileage has too many variables to be considered as definative. I can tell it has helped some and like the way it sounds and performs. Also as a side note my gas mileage IS better but I have also drove my car harder lately because I like the sound when I get on it. Which is bad for mileage and may improve the city mileage a little more.
I originall checked my DIC and it was very close (about 1 MPG ) to actual so that is what I use for all of my calculations. Now I do verify manually on most tank fills. Right or wrong the DIC is a good baseline and indicator of improvements (or losses!) and that is what I use to determine results. DIC does not know or care what I do, it just records the information and displays it.

My next project will be exhaust and underdrive pulleys.

I do not expect to get the full benefits of the intake and exhaust until I do the Trifecta tune to match the fuel curves to better breathing.

So I can definatively say the Airaid has helped it and not hurt it.
Old 10-26-2008, 12:35 PM

Not much more to add other than still running about 23-24 mpg in town, don't do much highway mileage so i cannot speak on that. So averaging about a 2 mpg gain with the intake, confirmed over 3 tanks and a thousand miles of driving. I am leaning towards getting the Magnaflow exhaust but the $485 price tag is hindering it so far. I have not seen any performance figures for the CGS axle back but i would guess there isn't much gain with a tailpipe/muffler combo. The Magnaflow claims a 7 hp/ 8 ft/lb gain on the 2.4 with their system. The Trifecta tune sounds good too, but without a lot of mods i am hesitant to put out the $300 to do it.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:04 PM

My own personal opinion

In my opinion you should do the tune last to match the system you have. You do not want to have to keep retuning it every time you make a change.
CGS claims something like 13Hp with thier muffler. Magnaflow claims 7 or so and it just does not make any sense at all to me that a bolt on muffler is better than a larger free flowing exhaust system.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:43 PM

Yeah, 13hp, i don't quite believe it would give that much of a gain. Maybe 1-3 hp gain. I know my SLP exhaust i had on my 3.4 Grand Am gave a 17 hp gain, but it was a full cat back into a camaro style muffler with dual outlets. It is nice to see someone agrees about the Airraid intake, i wouldn't change mine uut for the world, unless AEM would make a true Cold air intake, whether from the fender well or from under the car. Keep us posted on your mods, as i am hoping to get a few more myself. The Magnaflow looks better and better, and with the Trifecta Tune it would make a decent combo. On another vehicle, my old Durango, i used the Superchips tunernd got some really nice hp gains. That is a company i would like to see tune our cars. The tuner gave me 3 levels to choose from. 91 octane performance tune, 92+ octane performance tune or towing tune. With the 92+ tune, it would really wake up the lil 4.7 V8 in that rig.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:34 PM

I spoke to the people at CGS regarding my intake and I asked about their exhaust. They said that they originally were going to do the full catback, but that the factory pieces are manderl bent and not restrictive, so it was unnecessary performance wise and much cheaper cost wise (plus shipping is a lot less money than for a catback). They also seemed very certain and sincere about the performance gains, reminding me that you get much more improvment with the exhaust than any intake.

Regarding the tune-when I had mine done, there was not much emphasis on the modifications I had on the car. There seems to be a standard formula they use. Also, the HHR computer is flexible enough to change as needed. For example, the timing is automatically retarded or advanced based on the octane level of the gas.

That said, I am looking to get a new muffler to replace my IMCO. It is not stainless, and is rusting quite nicely. I would like to get one with a nice tone and a little louder than the IMCO. (Needless to say, I will retain my Y pipe in front of it so I can always increase the performance and sound level by removing the cap or using one with holes in it).