2.2L Performance Tech 16 valve 143 hp EcoTec with 150 lb-ft of torque

Car won't start

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 03:23 PM

Car won't start

Car over heated and stalled before I could get home, now it won't start, it will crank, but will not start, plugs are getting a spark, but just won't start, can anyone help?
Old 01-30-2016, 04:21 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, sorry to hear of your problem.
First how's about some info, like what engine , what transmission?
How many miles?
How hot did it over heat?
Is the check engine light on?
How old is the battery?
Do you hear the fuel pump when you turn the key to the on or run position?
Are there any burnt fuses in the under hood fuse box?
Did you get a boost?
Old 01-30-2016, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Welcome to the site, sorry to hear of your problem.
First how's about some info, like what engine , what transmission?
How many miles?
How hot did it over heat?
Is the check engine light on?
How old is the battery?
Do you hear the fuel pump when you turn the key to the on or run position?
Are there any burnt fuses in the under hood fuse box?
Did you get a boost?
Thanks for the reply... It's a 2.2 engine, automatic front wheel drive, battery is fairly new, can hear the water pump and fuel pump when I turn key, I didn't notice any burnt fuses, car would not jump, I've heard it may be the timing chain, and I've also heard I might need a new engine, hoping it's not gonna be that bad, but prepping for the worst...
Old 01-30-2016, 04:59 PM
Administrator

Ok let's stop right there, who determines your engine is toast? And how was it determined?
Old 01-30-2016, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Ok let's stop right there, who determines your engine is toast? And how was it determined?
The tow truck driver that towed the car home, and a mechanic friend over the phone, I know it seems like I'm jumping before I look, but would like to hear some other possibilities, before my wife kills me lol
Old 01-30-2016, 05:38 PM

My first question is, where in Ohio?! Welcome to the site Tommy. Sounds like a fair bit of trouble you're in. As much detailed info as you can give would help us all diagnose a little better.
Any CELs(check engine light) come up?
How hot did it overheat?
How many miles on you're 2.2?
How did you determine you're getting spark?
Fuel is easy, just carefully depress the Schrader valve located on the fuel rail.
Car wouldn't jump? Does that mean it wouldn't start when jumped..
Timing could be to blame but if it was far enough off to not start you would hear valves crashing into pistons. My last rebuild ran terrible on 3 cylinders and bent several intake valves but it still started. I suppose the chain could've broken completely but that's not very likely.
Old 01-30-2016, 06:17 PM

[QUOTE=Dbeluscak;795507]My first question is, where in Ohio?! Welcome to the site Tommy. Sounds like a fair bit of trouble you're in. As much detailed info as you can give would help us all diagnose a little better.
How hot did it overheat?
Fuel is easy, just carefully depress the Schrader valve located on the fuel rail.
Timing could be to blame but if it was far enough off to not start you would hear valves crashing into pistons. My last rebuild ran terrible on 3 cylinders and bent several intake valves but it still started. I suppose the chain could've broken completely but that's not very likely.[/QUOTE

Ran over something on highway, damaged radiator, leaked out all coolant, check engine light was on before it stalled, has 60,000ish miles, been a great car, I pulled the spark plugs to see if they were getting a spark, they were, could also see the pistons move up and down, didn't hear anything banging, no knocking, tried to jump it with wife's car but it would not start, it just cranks, whenever I ask someone about why it won't start they say the timing chain or need a new motor, but whenever I try to start it there doesn't sound like there's anything wrong, just won't start
Old 01-30-2016, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Dbeluscak
My first question is, where in Ohio?! Welcome to the site Tommy. Sounds like a fair bit of trouble you're in. As much detailed info as you can give would help us all diagnose a little better.
How hot did it overheat?
Timing could be to blame but if it was far enough off to not start you would hear valves crashing into pistons. My last rebuild ran terrible on 3 cylinders and bent several intake valves but it still started. I suppose the chain could've broken completely but that's not very likely.
I'm near Dayton if anyone knows a reliable mechanic that won't rip off someone who doesn't know anything about cars lol
Old 01-30-2016, 06:31 PM

Did you have the code scanned? More than likely related. So it sounds like you kept driving after hitting something. Or at least until it overheated. With only 60k on the odometer you shouldn't have timing issues (it is possible, just less likely with low miles)
How did it stall? From overheating?
We need to get that CEL!
If it has spark and fuel it should start. Since you're at the valve cover already I would pull it off and have a look at the timing chain/guides. The guide that always brakes is on the intake side, it runs almost the length of the front cover.

Again, I would borrow a scanner or get a cheapy first so you know where to start.
Old 01-30-2016, 06:50 PM
Technical Moderator

On what planet is it OK to run a car with no coolant?

What do you mean: you can hear the water pump?

Quick Reply: Car won't start