2.2L Performance Tech 16 valve 143 hp EcoTec with 150 lb-ft of torque

CJs Altered Standard Super Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 06:34 PM
Deceased

CJs Altered Standard Super Air Intake

i started trying ways to make a CAI and the problem is finding a tube that will fit our MAF to a tube. its really not that hard to figure out. Just nothing i could find that would work with it. the MAF is wide and flat and wider than all the ports i found on the tubes and not round which is all the GM ports on the side.
so i decided to use the standard airbox and hoses and hook up an after market filter like on the CAI's.

here is what i did
1. so i took off the black box by loosening the front hose clamp
2. pulled up from back and then got the box loose and then worked hose off and then all off
3. i then took off the 7, yes 7 screws to get the top off to remove the paper filter. took out paper filter
4. then i put the box back together with it empty
5. bought a 9132 Spectre filter for $19.95 and a 3 in clamp, $2.89 from auto zone. this is the smallest filter i could find on the rack
6. I then took the rubber ring off from inside the clamp and then slid it around the end of the filter, semi tightened it. oiled filter
7. 2 places to put the filter: where mike has his or lower by radiator hose,,, to put in either place, you have to wiggle it in. to put in lower spot you have to angle the air box up out of the way and pull the radiator hose to the side and it slides in the place there
8. pushed the end of the hose in the filter
9. tightened the clamp on the filter and hose. it holds fairly well. the boot on the hose slips in pretty good and there is pressure against it so it doesnt come out

tomorrow i am going to remove the box and go and see if i can put a straight tube from the front to back to make it all a straight tube and not an open box.. that should make a difference

more to come

i have driven it several trips and put it thru the mill. more pick up, nice sound change,, lower and no problems. you can feel the difference. i was getting 0-60 in high 9's and low 10's in I gear.

Last edited by cj krause; 05-09-2006 at 08:53 PM.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:14 PM
Deceased

The cool thing about this mod is anyone can do it with a flat head screwdriver and an allen wrench. $25 or less and it will run alot better than the standard filter. Especially if you cant afford a $300 CAI.

you might be amazed at how it feels. the more i drive this the better I like it. it is very free and has a totally different sound. I think once i put a pipe and make it to where the air isnt going to the air filter box and just from hose to hose it will run even better. it will be like a CAI but look stock.

i used a allen wrench bit in a power screwdriver and it did not take long to take the box apart and put it back together.

someone could also cut off the part where the MAF sensor bolts on and then configure a pipe to it w a rubber boot or glue it on and then you could build a CAI that looks like Mikes for around $145 total. but i did not want to alter the stock parts.

Cool thing about this is to change it back all you have to do is pull it out of the new filter, remove the filter, put the original filter back in. you are done

i am going for a test drive on the freeway after House and see how it works and drives.

i am getting 24 to 25 on the DIC around town going 50 at the most. i went on this one road and ran 65 to 70 for 8 miles and it was indicating 36 to 38 on the DIC.

i am going to fill up and run town and then report mileage by saturday and then will post what i got city till then

i will post what i got on the trip to Florida saturday.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:25 PM
Banned

One of the things that is preventing you any real gain in HP is the rippled air intake tube. If you notice CAIs use straight tubing for the best air flow.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:27 PM

I believe what he has is just temporary. I think he mentioned in his first post that he was looking for straight tubing to retro fit it. So it seems like its in the works. Should be interesting.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:27 PM
Deceased

I know
i will find a housing that will work w the MAF on the car and then there will be a straight tube

OH and by the way CH, there already is real gains. i know how the car drives and what it usually does from 0-60 and it is faster now already
Old 05-09-2006, 09:32 PM
Banned

Maybe 1 or 2 HP. It just feels like that because you want it to. I know enough from modding my Mustang. You want to feel little HP gains so much you convince yourself that a little 1-5 HP gain turned your ride into a fire breathing beast.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:39 PM
Deceased

Originally Posted by captain howdy
Maybe 1 or 2 HP. It just feels like that because you want it to. I know enough from modding my Mustang. You want to feel little HP gains so much you convince yourself that a little 1-5 HP gain turned your ride into a fire breathing beast.
you are such a pessimist

ride on CH, talk on
i do and you post
Old 05-09-2006, 09:42 PM
Banned

I'm not trying to put you down CJ. That's just an obsevation I made while modding another vehicle. The dyno is the only true proof.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:47 PM
Deceased

No
i am trying to help people out here on the board that dont have $300 to spend on an intake and give them improvement for $23 and 30 to 60 min of their time.

if all it got was 2 to 4 hp and 2 to 3 mpg extra, then that $23 was more than well spent

and that i can take to the bank as MR Baretta used to say

Last edited by cj krause; 05-10-2006 at 12:50 AM.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by captain howdy
I used to have a Stang...it at times also felt like a fire breathing beast!

Ng

Quick Reply: CJs Altered Standard Super Air Intake