2.2L Performance Tech 16 valve 143 hp EcoTec with 150 lb-ft of torque

I want a turbo. Not an SS.

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 03:18 PM

Question I want a turbo. Not an SS.

Just because I know its going to be said. ( I know I should just go buy an SS but I just bought my lt so thats not happening) When I bought my HHR off the lot I did not know there was an SS Version and now I wish I had. But since im stuck with what I bought I would like positive input on my next project.

My Car- 2009 HHR 2LT 2.2 Ecotec -Previous Rental Car. 42K Miles

I want to turbo it. Not because I want to be the fastest person on the road but because its something I want.

What are the specs of things I would need. I know the basic parts. Turbo, Piping, Intercooler, manifold, but I need specifics. What Size turbo will fit? How much PSI Can I push safely without having to build internals? Whats the best way to run piping for the 2.2? Will I need a new bumper or can I buy a small intercooler? Im 17 and I dont plan on doing everything at once. I want to buy the parts one at a time and when I have everything, spend a weekend installing it.

Any Comments are Welcomed. Positive ones are appreciated.
Old 09-04-2010, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by TxSteven524
Just because I know its going to be said. ( I know I should just go buy an SS but I just bought my lt so thats not happening) When I bought my HHR off the lot I did not know there was an SS Version and now I wish I had. But since im stuck with what I bought I would like positive input on my next project.

My Car- 2009 HHR 2LT 2.2 Ecotec -Previous Rental Car. 42K Miles

I want to turbo it. Not because I want to be the fastest person on the road but because its something I want.

What are the specs of things I would need. I know the basic parts. Turbo, Piping, Intercooler, manifold, but I need specifics. What Size turbo will fit? How much PSI Can I push safely without having to build internals? Whats the best way to run piping for the 2.2? Will I need a new bumper or can I buy a small intercooler? Im 17 and I dont plan on doing everything at once. I want to buy the parts one at a time and when I have everything, spend a weekend installing it.

Any Comments are Welcomed. Positive ones are appreciated.
I would either buy a kit if there is one or take it to someone who know the in's and outs of installing one. To set a turbo up right takes money and knowledge. If you scew up it will take even more money.

This is more than just a bolt on deal if you do it right and kits are often presorted to safe installes to save you grief.

I know you don't want to hear the SS deal but in some ways a used SS may be the cheaper and more reliable way to go.

Been through this with other cars and seen what many have problems with.

To do it right it is not something I would recomend to some one with out help or safe kit.
Old 09-04-2010, 04:30 PM

What He said, take it from someone who has been there and done that with a lot of customers, turbo cars are NOT bolt on and go.
Old 09-04-2010, 05:18 PM

I'll sell you my stock turbo, manifold, Air box, intercooler and piping if your interested....? let me know
Old 09-05-2010, 03:08 PM

@ Hyper- Thanks for input. The reason I dont want an SS is because of the price difference with my insurance and the fact that I just bought my LT. As for the help my good friend is a ASE Master Tech So he can install but he dosent know the specs for my car as hes never worked on one.

@ 1970- Most of the car enthusiasts I hangout with drive Nissan 240sx's and other tuners, and most of their turbos are bolt on and go.

@GCSD- Pm'd
Old 09-05-2010, 03:18 PM

Any one know specs? Turbo Size? Max PSI on stock internals?
Old 09-05-2010, 06:35 PM

Supercharger

Maybe you should consider a Cobalt 2.2 supercharger, the horsepower gains will be about the same. The install should be easier and you might be able to pick up used parts. I know someone who has done this mod, and is very happy with the results.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:19 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by MAC C21
Maybe you should consider a Cobalt 2.2 supercharger, the horsepower gains will be about the same. The install should be easier and you might be able to pick up used parts. I know someone who has done this mod, and is very happy with the results.
Yes so do I, & that person is selling a SC for a (now deceased) friend too........
Old 09-08-2010, 06:03 PM

Any one know specs? Turbo Size? Max PSI on stock internals?
There is a Ecotech book that list the abilities of the engine you might want to pick up.

GM published the book and it is very good to learn a lot on the Eco.

Summit Racing has them http://www.summitracing.com/parts/NAL-88958728/

Some Chevy dealers may have them too.

1970 is not far off as bolting on a Turbo on a 2.2 is not as easy or realiable as you may think. I think the Bolt on Superchager is a better deal. Less issues and it will keep you well withing your engines abilities.

The mods GM did to the SS were not done just because they wanted to do them they had to do them. Also to work out the drivability may be an issue. Lag is not easy to get out.

Good luck if you choose to do this but I would get someone who is a turbo expert to work with you as this is something that is beyond most good ASE mechanics.

We did the Turbo thing on a 1978 Trans Am. It was even a kit for the car. After dealing with the lag and detonation issues it finally broke the crank. The owner wished he had left it alone. I have seen many other so the same.

Anyway get the book and it will let you know what each Eco engine will take before it hits the limits.

Might also search around for someone who has done this on a Cobalt and see what all they did and how well it is working. You can learn a lot form their mistakes when you start yours and save time and money.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:27 PM

@ Hyper- Thanks for input. The reason I dont want an SS is because of the price difference with my insurance
I realize that you have other reasons for not going for the SS, but insurance should not be one of them. My insurance company only lists my car as an HHR. They have no idea what an SS is (as well as the rest of the modern world).

I see your other points, though. My son has a 2.2L in his '09 Cobalt and sees things in the same light. He's modding one bolt at a time. Go for it and you'll have a truly unique vehicle when you get where you're going.