2.2L Performance Tech 16 valve 143 hp EcoTec with 150 lb-ft of torque

New stuff makes a difference.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 11:44 PM

New stuff makes a difference.

Long Story short, wife given parents 07 ls with 209k miles and problems....

So first thing I do is new tstat, gets it working. Then found out that plugs n wires werent done recently and when done used crap stuff along with oil..

Soooo its a nice weekend, i decided to do M1 Oil Full Syn n M1 filter plus lucas oil treatment. Using the ACDELCO iridium plugs (performance plugs?) and wires. Ran it to gas station and got the 4th grade gas one above premium and added Lucas gas treatment.

NOW, gas pedal more responsive, motor is quieter and calmer. Just all around ran better. Lot better then the wal mart special stuff that was going into it.

Next weekend fe5 suspension swap
Old 05-20-2013, 08:55 AM

Wires? We do not have spark plug wires on our engines. Are you saying you put new coils on or just the boots?

Either way glad to hear you are happy.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:03 AM

Coils n Boots. basically the wire set up for an HHR. Im used to my explorer toy, so plugs n wires kinda came right outa the mouth lol.

i know its running a lot smoother now then what it was. now she is on my back to do everything else so she can hear her car "purr" going down the road.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:41 AM

Sounds like your getting back to running good.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:26 PM
Deceased

Originally Posted by SwaintaN
Coils n Boots. basically the wire set up for an HHR. Im used to my explorer toy, so plugs n wires kinda came right outa the mouth lol.
Don't feel too bad, I still think new points and a condenser when I do a tune up. Geezerhood kinda stinks sometimes.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:35 PM

Its funny he gave it to her cause it had over 200k miles and suspension issues with a few other issues. However I was always under the assumption the older you got the more you took care of youre cars, in and out. However I guess that isnt the story.

Interior, burnt the seats with his cigarettes (we smoke to, but keep interior clean). Plus he bought it new and never swept it or cleaned the plastic. Took me and the kids two days and interior is still not clean. Using amorall cleaning wipes and protectants. Even picked up the WipeNew as seen on tv stuff fixing to try it next. 3 baths. Speaker replacements done to. Hell something as simple as Tstat that they told him was a sensor has been replaced to turn the a/c back on.

So hopefully ill get it to the shape it should be in, dont get me wrong we are thankful they gave it to us cause we are having problems with our Chevy Venture
Old 05-20-2013, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by 843de
Don't feel too bad, I still think new points and a condenser when I do a tune up. Geezerhood kinda stinks sometimes.
yeah when i said plugs n wires and they handed me that stuff i looked at them weird. BUT when I got Oil and then seen the filter i was even more confused, i actually opened another box to see if it was a mess up! Looked at wife and was like yeah "uhh where is the canister?!"
Old 05-20-2013, 12:45 PM
Rest In Peace

At 209K Seriously consider a Timing Chain swap. Once they go, so does the engine.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:47 PM

wouldnt even know where to start with a timing chain swap, let alone id probably throw out timing
Old 05-20-2013, 12:54 PM
Rest In Peace

Originally Posted by SwaintaN
wouldnt even know where to start with a timing chain swap, let alone id probably throw out timing
Have a mechanic do it.

Timing chain is the weak link, if it goes on you it's a new motor or the junk yard. Once it goes bent valves holes in pistons , Not a good thing.

Wise investment to keep it running 3-400,000 miles.

Quick Reply: New stuff makes a difference.