2.2L Performance Tech 16 valve 143 hp EcoTec with 150 lb-ft of torque

P codes and anger

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 03:22 PM

P codes and anger

I have a 08 HHR LS 2.2 i have replaced the engine with a low mileage engine because mine had low compression on cylinder num 2. Ran it for about a month with an exhaust leak. Got it fixed, Now it stalls at every stop. I've replaced the mass air sensor, both O2 sensors, and the plugs. The only time it will not stall is if I turn my ac off before I get to the stop. Have any of you had any problems like this? after I changed the sensors and plugs these p code remain

P0030
P0036
P0102
P0135
P0141
P0443

Thanks guys for your input. I found a fuse in the block that was labeled Exh. I changed it and reset the codes and they stayed
off. I'm guessing I just wasted $150 for nothing. On the bright side I know the o2 sensors and MAF are good.

Still having problems with it cutting off at traffic lights. Took it to the dealer for diagnostic they say it needs a induction system cleaning? has anyone heard of this?

Last edited by mijoguero; 06-21-2014 at 09:02 PM. Reason: found the problem.
Old 06-14-2014, 03:36 PM
Technical Moderator

Running with an exhaust leak can lead to killing the catalytic converter.

I am just too tired right now to Google those codes and internet diagnose, maybe tomorrow.
Old 06-14-2014, 03:58 PM
Platinum Member

First question is, did you clear the codes after replacing those parts?
Old 06-15-2014, 07:44 AM
Administrator

Use the search window and try the easy way first, disconnect the battery negative terminal for 30 minutes
Old 06-15-2014, 10:03 AM
Deceased

Guess I'll start by looping back to George's question in post #3, did you clear the codes after the engine swap? It's not a complicated procedure, no scan tool required, just unhook the NEGATIVE battery cable for 30 minutes and walk away. On the forum we call it a "Lobotomy", and it works.

Now on to the codes in order of appearance...

P0030...The code means that there is a problem with the heater element circuit of the heated oxygen sensor. The control module monitors how long it take the sensor to warm up and start sending an adequate signal. The code is triggered when the sensor is taking too long to warm up. Water getting inside the heated oxygen sensor connector can caused the heated oxygen sensor fuse to blow. Before replacing the sensor, check for the condition of the heated oxygen sensor fuse and connectors. If the sensor and connector are OK, replacing the O2 Sensor 1 usually takes care of the problem.

P0036...The code means that there is a problem with the heater element circuit of the heated oxygen sensor. The control module monitors how long it take the sensor to warm up and start sending an adequate signal. The code is triggered when the sensor is taking too long to warm up. Water getting inside the heated oxygen sensor connector can caused the heated oxygen sensor fuse to blow. Before replacing the sensor, check for the condition of the heated oxygen sensor fuse and connectors. If the sensor and connector are OK, replacing the O2 Sensor 2 usually takes care of the problem.

P0102...This DTC sets when the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) detects that the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor frequency is below a predetermined value. Check connections to the MAF, clean or replace the MAF sensor as necessary.

P0135...The code means that there is a problem with the heater element circuit of the heated oxygen sensor. The control module monitors how long it take the sensor to warm up and start sending an adequate signal. The code is triggered when the sensor is taking too long to warm up. Before replacing the sensor, check for the condition of the heated oxygen sensor fuse and connectors. If the sensor and connector are OK, replacing the O2 Sensor 1 usually takes care of the problem. Another O2 sensor code here, sensing a pattern?

P0141...The code means that there is a problem with the heater element circuit of the heated oxygen sensor. The control module monitors how long it take the sensor to warm up and start sending an adequate signal. The code is triggered when the sensor is taking too long to warm up. Water getting inside the heated oxygen sensor connector can caused the heated oxygen sensor fuse to blow. Before replacing the sensor, check for the condition of the heated oxygen sensor fuse and connectors. If the sensor and connector are OK, replacing the O2 Sensor 1 or 2 usually takes care of the problem.

P0443...The Evaporative Emission System (EVAP) canister purge volume control solenoid valve uses a ON/OFF duty to control the flow rate of fuel vapor from the EVAP canister. The EVAP canister purge volume control solenoid valve is moved by ON/OFF pulses from the Engine Control Module (ECM). The longer the ON pulse, the greater the amount of fuel vapor that will flow through the valve. Possible failed or sticking purge solenoid, faulty wiring connection, damaged wiring, or damage to the EVAP cannister.

Now you've replaced the MAF, both O2 sensors, and the spark plugs(Hopefully using the proper Delco 41-103 Iridium plugs, HHR's act up using any other brand), so my question is. Did you replace the engine "like for like", in other words, did you use a replacement engine from the same model year?

The other question would be the location of the exhaust leak? A prolonged leak at the manifold or downpipe flex joint will kill O2 sensors, etc.
Old 06-15-2014, 07:11 PM
Technical Moderator

FWIW, the cheap (Bosch type) O2 sensors are not any good.

Sounds to me like the plug to the ECM is not seated correctly, since all of those DTCs are fed through the same harness. Maybe the harness is laying on the exhaust?

It is the correct engine for the ECM, I am assuming?
Old 06-21-2014, 09:05 PM

Yes only ac iridium plugs and yes on like for like
Old 06-21-2014, 11:06 PM
Technical Moderator

I am less interested than you are.
Old 06-21-2014, 11:17 PM
Platinum Member

donbrew. Funny thing. The OP actually edited his 1st post and put a response there.
I'm sure others will overlook his response because I think that's the 1st time I've seen someone reply back like that.
Old 06-21-2014, 11:22 PM
Technical Moderator

Sorry. My empathy bone is sore today.

Quick Reply: P codes and anger