2.2L Performance Tech 16 valve 143 hp EcoTec with 150 lb-ft of torque

Supercharging 2009 HHR 2.2L VVT

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 07:44 PM

Supercharging 2009 HHR 2.2L VVT

Just thought I would drop a line and start the process of documenting an addition of a supercharger to a 2009 HHR 2.2L. One of the things I noticed was lacking- was support for the 2.2L with VVT. So here I am to share my information.

I am in the business of buying and selling supercharger parts as well as rebuilding superchargers made by various companies. You can find me in a google search just by typing 'jon' and 'supercharger' in the same line. I have some pretty nice cars, but the shop car, an 09 HHR was a joke. It had no get-up and go and an auto-tragic transmission.

Here is the plan:
Collect the needed supercharger engine parts.
Acquire tuning hardware.
Install wide band O2.
Work with stock tune till perfected.
Upgrade fuel injectors - tune.
Upgrade cold air intake/MAF - tune.
Install inter-cooler hardware and pump.
Install supercharger (stock LSJ boost), throttlebody, and then tune.

Since the addition of a supercharger can max out the power levels that this stock block and transmission are capable of, no other modifications to the exhaust or anything else will done.

For those of you following this post, I will have a parts list of every bolt, wire, tie strap, and part at the end and already have some of these on my website.

Steps I have accomplished so far:

All parts have been acquired- but not confirmed.

Autocal was selected as the tuning device. The stock tune has been adapted to shorten the response time of the drive by wire as well as the shift points in the transmission. I am impressed already.

Next up, a weeks worth of datalogging and installation of a Innovate wide band. I will document this installation as soon as it is completed.

See ya soon.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:54 PM

As an owner of a 2009 2.2L VVT HHR, I will be watching this thread...CLOSELY!
Old 02-11-2013, 01:13 AM

Yeah, this sounds interesting going a step at a time like that. Id like to hear results of different part combinations.
But I would seriously consider replacing the exhaust, its quite small compared to what gm put on the sc cobalts. One of those can be altered to fit if you come across one while sourcing the supercharger parts.
Are you planning on using the stock 3.4" inch pulley and heat exchanger from the cobalt?
Old 02-11-2013, 03:36 AM

Please note that I highly recommend stage building on something 'new' to the person doing the work. When things are not right, it is easy to track down the culprit, but is also educational as one can see how the car reacts to each upgrade. It can also change the direction of a build as information is gathered. I have done it this way for 20 years with great success and my employees say I am too anal and a perfectionist.

As for the exhaust- you are right that it is small, and replacing it will open top end horsepower. However, on this build, I am not after every ounce of horsepower and there is one thing that is often overlooked when adding a horsepower to a car. Fuel Economy.

This build will be a true sleeper street car and will spend most of it's life at low RPM. I want this car to have responsive low RPM torque, good driveability, and good fuel economy. This car will still keep it's Flex Fuel status as well.

Restriction = heat. Heat = scavenging ability of exhaust to pull more of the spent exhaust out of the cylinder Scavenging = fuel economy Superchargers and turbo's love a restrictive exhaust. We will give it a shot and see what the EGT's are.

Heat exchanger has not been purchased yet. I need to measure the amount of space that is available behind the stock bumper as I know the 03/04 Mustang Cobra one does not fit clear a stock bumper cover. I have one here from a Mustang build and can already see it will not work without bumper cover modification. The stock heat exchanger is rather small. I will most likely go with two small dual pass inter-coolers and thread a fitting onto the inter-cooler manifold and convert the inter-cooler to dual pass. I found out this manifold has that ability from another member on this forum. I already disassembled it to investigate this. This will allow me to run more timing or lower quality fuel when not running E85 due to the cooler discharge air. This will be covered later.

I will be starting with a stock pulley- but possibly migrate smaller till I reach my 220-225 RWHP goal.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:30 PM

Fuel injector choice confirmed to fit 2009 HHR 2.2L.

4 Siemens Deka #108191 60lb fuel injector- good idle characteristics and easy to tune.

Must have USCAR connector, 60mm long, EV6, 30 degree or higher spray pattern , and multiple orifices to have a good idle. Here is a picture in case your looking:

https://jonbondperformance.com/index..._image&pID=386

These will be plenty large to get the job done.

When installing these, please remember to use a PTFE silicon grease on the o-rings. If you don't have any of this, raid the bathroom and look for some Vaseline.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:27 AM

Subbed.

I'll be following as well. Everything should covert to my 2011 2.2.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:36 AM

great thread...subscribed
Old 02-23-2013, 04:35 PM

Sorry for the delay. Well done projects sometimes require research. My tuning technician found that the computer is dumping large amounts of fuel during WOT on a stock tune. We suspect it is to keep the CAT in correct operating condition. I am now considering working with the exhaust as 'prod' suggested earlier as I want to remove the excess dumping of fuel at WOT.

I will be checking on exhaust mods- header/hi flow cat/and cat back. Thinking of ZZP's setup, but will need to check the forum for fitment and or other brand recommendations.

Last edited by Jon Bond; 02-23-2013 at 08:51 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:44 PM

Dumb question, but the supercharged is not currently installed yet right?
Old 02-23-2013, 09:58 PM

Not a dumb question. No- it is not installed, but soon to be.

A little more information: I am working with MJ Engineering. We hope to have a canned tune available for stock L61 engines with a supercharger at different boost levels all the way up to 225 RWHP. We just decided a little bit ago to NOT put an exhaust upgrade on the car to see how it will perform. This way, the canned tunes will be for a stock engine- upgraded with a supercharger only. Once other parts start getting bolted on, the canned tune becomes worthless.

So far, I have found out that just changing the shift points and the response time of the drive by wire really woke up it up. MJ Engineering now has a tune ready for those who want nothing more than just to wake up a stock 09 HHR VVT L61 motor with an auto trans- even if it is a Flexfuel ride. No one was offering this for the 09 without jumping hoops.

Datalogging also shows that the stock location of the air box does a very good job of pulling fresh air into the engine.

Quick Reply: Supercharging 2009 HHR 2.2L VVT