2.2L Performance Tech 16 valve 143 hp EcoTec with 150 lb-ft of torque

Who has a GIBSON CatBack??

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 10:24 AM

Lightbulb Who has a GIBSON CatBack??

Hello,

I had started this converstion in another thread; however rather than stealing time in that thread, I felt it best to start a new one.

I currently have the CGS air intake installed, and I am considering buying a GIBSON CatBack for my 2.2L 1LT. My other option is simply to go with the IMCO Muffler. So I need to know some information about the GIBSON from people how have seen or heard it.

How is the sound? I don't want a loud 'rice burner' sounding car. Is the sounds low and steady?

How is the power? Is there a big difference from stock? Is there a big difference from simply using the IMCO muffler?

Is there a difference in sound/power between the GIBSON aluminum and steel versions?

Sorry for all of the questions. I just don't want to put out $500.00 for a GIBSON CatBack if it is not worth it. But, I do need more power in the car. So any help would be appreciated.

Thanks all,
Old 07-17-2006, 11:59 AM

I don't find mine sounding "ricey", In fact there were posts elsewhere where owners who installed them found the tone pleasant. Mine is "improving" with age and giving me a nice mellow tone not fart can at all.Seat of the pants feels improved, I can also chirp the tires after the install where as before it kind of labored out of the gate, I do also have the infamous Airaid intake so it breathes better than stock. I would not suspect any flow difference between stainless and Aluminum, I have the Al becuase down here we dont have salt and snow...
Be warned the first versions had a fit issue problem I had to cut 1 1/2 inches from the intermediate pipe to prevent banging
Old 07-17-2006, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by joesblackhhr
I don't find mine sounding "ricey", In fact there were posts elsewhere where owners who installed them found the tone pleasant. Mine is "improving" with age and giving me a nice mellow tone not fart can at all.Seat of the pants feels improved, I can also chirp the tires after the install where as before it kind of labored out of the gate, I do also have the infamous Airaid intake so it breathes better than stock. I would not suspect any flow difference between stainless and Aluminum, I have the Al becuase down here we dont have salt and snow...
Be warned the first versions had a fit issue problem I had to cut 1 1/2 inches from the intermediate pipe to prevent banging

can you post a soundclip i want this system but i cant drop that kind of cash without hearing one
Old 07-17-2006, 04:51 PM

Thank you for the information. I am really leaning towards the CatBack. Tomorrow I put in the Sound System. So next week will be my Cat Back install. The money is not an issue with the CatBack; the sound is. I don't mind a 'new' sound from the car.... I just don't want a 'teeny-bopper' ricey sound. But if you feel the sound is good... then the GIBSON may be the way to go.
But yeah, a soundclip would be nice.
I was going to go for the Stainless Steel version just for the looks. But I can save a couple hundred by going aluminum. Which version are you going with, Crowbar? And why?

Thanks,

Michael
Old 07-19-2006, 12:00 AM

Heard the CatBack today!

Ok, I heard the CatBack today. It sounded great. Not ricey at all. It IS a good Mod; which has a smooth sound. I will eventually get it.

The only problem is that my local El Paso GIBSON supplier is trying to 'stick it to me'. Everywhere on the Internet I see the GIBSON CatBack going for 325.00 and 525.00. But ALAMO AUTO SUPPLY is marking it up to 700.00!! Yes, I hate them. Even if I buy it from SOCALLHHR or somewhere, they will not install it for me. So this sucks. They are the only company in town that carries Gibson. This weekend I will check to see if another shop will install the CatBack if I buy it from the Internet. I am just worried about the install costs.

Anyhow, so this week I will end up installing the IMCO muffler. I am sure that it will be a good Mod for the HHR. I will get the CatBack later down the road. Who knows, maybe other companies will come out with even better CatBack models.... we will see.

Thanks,

Michael
Old 07-19-2006, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by mcavey
Who knows, maybe other companies will come out with even better CatBack models.... we will see.
Yeah, that will happen......and sooner than you might think too!
Old 07-19-2006, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by SoCalHHR
Yeah, that will happen......and sooner than you might think too!
I guess that was a hint.
Old 07-19-2006, 07:14 AM

Can't comment of the sound of either muffler, but as far al aluminum or stainless, they should sound the same. If you don't have to worry about salt on the roads or or being near the coast the aluminum will last many many years. Stainless does look better, but remember, you are not going to see it unless you are looking for it, pipes that is. Muffler and tip are probably all that you will notice visually.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:19 AM

What is the advantage of stainless over aluminum?

I've got the IMCO but am thinking about for down the road.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by yeshua63043
What is the advantage of stainless over aluminum?
Stainless = no rust.

Quick Reply: Who has a GIBSON CatBack??