2.4L Performance Tech 16 valve 172 hp EcoTec with 162 lb-ft of torque

Acetone mileage improver?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 11:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jx3
Appears this myth is getting burned like gasoline!!

http://www.snopes.com/autos/techno/acetone.asp
Too bad there isn't a snopes article debunking the "loose fuse" myth...
Old 03-14-2008, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by GTOMIKE
First of all it comes in a plastic bottle and I then poured a small amount into another plastic bottle to measure it out in....
I do know there are different grades of plastic - and yes - you can get acetone in a plastic bottle. But do the plastics in your car have what it takes to stand up to the stuff? Try putting a little acetone on one of those god-forsaken plastic packages that everything seems to come in these days and see what happens.

The plastics in our fuel systems in our cars were selected/designed to stand up to gasoline and (I guess) their usual additives.

Originally Posted by GTOMIKE
It will not matter to some people if it does work they would never put it in there tank unless GM sold the stuff and backed it up.
That is true of some people and they are the ones that wouldn't dream of modifying their cars at all for fear of the almighty GM raining wrath.
Old 03-14-2008, 03:54 PM

Well my 04 Astro van is full of 87 octane and 6 oz. of acetone but I don`t use it much unless I need to tow or pick up something big.It may be awhile till I burn off that tank.

Next week I have a 6 hour drive so I will be doing the acetone thing to my 01 Sunfire.It has a 2.2 auto so I should have the data on that one the same day.

By the time my HHR comes out of hibernation May 1st I will know if the acetone is working.And then it will be time to start on my motorcycles so I will just kept up with this to prove to myself if it is fact or fiction.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:43 PM

Keep us posted... I for one am curious.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:13 PM

I use Xylene with a dash of marvel mystery oil to rise octane in the syclone before going to the track. Works like a champ. wouldn't use for everyday driving.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:57 AM
Founding Member

Here is a TSB from GM on fuel economy and fuel additives. The TSB is very long and I deleted a lot of it for space and to keep with the original intent of this thread. If you want to see the entire bulletin send me a PM with your email address and I will send the file.

Document ID: 2030458
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#05-00-89-072A: Fuel and Oil Additives - Facts and Myths/Maximizing Fuel Economy - (Oct 16, 2007)

Subject: Fuel and Oil Additives - Facts and Myths/Maximizing Fuel Economy

Models: 2008 and Prior GM Passenger Cars and Trucks (including Saturn)

Attention: Please direct this bulletin to the Service Manager, the Service Consultants and the Sales Staff. A copy of this bulletin is encouraged to be given to your customer as it is written with the consumer in mind. You may also post this bulletin in your customer lounge or waiting area.

A Statement About Fuel Economy
As gasoline prices have increased, the consumer has shifted priorities to become increasingly concerned with fuel consumption. GM is presently proud to offer over 30 cars in the U.S. with EPA highway estimates of at least 30 mpg. In Canada, vehicles are rated for fuel consumption in litres per 100 kilometers. GM offers over 20 vehicles in Canada that consume less than 7.0 L/100 km on the highway. The information below contains reasonable and prudent advice for your dealership and the consumer to get the most from every gallon or litre of gas.

The information below is presented in two easy to understand sections:

• What Not To Do: Engine and Fuel Additives, Alternate Fuels, and "Miracle" Products

• What to Do: Maximizing Fuel Economy/Minimizing Costs

WHAT NOT TO DO: Engine and Fuel Additives, Alternate Fuels, and "Miracle" Products
Various unproven products to improve vehicle fuel economy have been reported ranging from magnets that align molecules to chemical combustion improvers.

Most products claiming to provide benefits are based on unsubstantiated claims. Those that do present "scientific" results generally either have too little supporting data to be conclusive, have not conducted experiments in a controlled fashion, or cannot be substantiated by anyone else but the product's manufacturer.

The U.S. Federal Trade Commission summarizes results for products tested by the federal government at http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/cons...tos/aut10.shtm. A review of the list shows that the majority did not work, and for those that showed some effect, the benefit was too small to be cost effective.

Harmful Ideas That May Damage Your Vehicle and Increase Emissions
One more recent poor idea to improve fuel economy that should not be attempted is to blend either kerosene or diesel fuel into gasoline. Why? Both kerosene and diesel fuel are distillate fuels meant for use in compression ignition engines, not spark ignition engines. They have very low octane and since they are heavier (higher density) than gasoline, they will cause heavy engine deposits and degradation of engine oil.

Notice: Never put Kerosene or Diesel Fuel in your Gasoline Engine vehicle. This may result in inconsistent performance and permanent damage to your vehicle that is not covered by your New Vehicle Warranty.

Chemicals that are normally used as solvents also should not be used. These include acetone, ketones, and methanol. These solvents can be incompatible with your vehicles rubber or sealing components, and may dissolve the vehicle’s paint finish. In the case of methanol, corrosion of metal parts in the fuel system also may occur.

Notice: Never use acetone, ketones, or methanol additives in your vehicle. Some of these solvents may damage or corrode your fuel system. They are also very damaging to the painted surfaces of the vehicle if spilled.

Damage to vehicle components that result from non-approved or aftermarket additives and devices are not covered under the terms of the New Vehicle Warranty. The only fuel additive currently approved by GM is GM Fuel System Treatment Plus, P/N 88861011 (in Canada, #88861012).
Old 03-18-2008, 11:36 AM

Looks like "Case Closed"
Old 03-18-2008, 01:55 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks ChevyMgr...I thought most owners understood, you add something to your vehicle (whether liquid, solid, mechanical, electrical) and it affects the normal and intended function, it voids that portion of the warranty. It's nice that is is in writing (there is also another TSB regarding this is general terms. I think I posted it previously).

Oh, by the way....the TSB you quoted is a "second edition" because the first GM SUPPLIED AND APPROVED fuel additive WAS CAUSING SOME PROBLEMS (notice the PLUS in the name).

But, I'm sure the members who are experimenting with the different additives for fuel, already recognize the warranty limitations.
Old 03-18-2008, 02:02 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by Snoopy
Oh, by the way....the TSB you quoted is a "second edition" because the first GM SUPPLIED AND APPROVED fuel additive WAS CAUSING SOME PROBLEMS (notice the PLUS in the name).
Snoopy, you are correct on the updated bulletin. You can always tell how many updates a bulletin has had by the letter designation at the end of the bulletin number. I have seen some that went up to the letter "g" meaning 7 revisions to the original.
Old 03-18-2008, 03:16 PM

You guys (especially ChevyMrg & Snoopy) need to realize that the Internet was invented by Al Gore for the sole purpose of propogating myth and lore, which has been alive and well here on this forum. Now, quit it with facts and such already!

That said, I like to have a good glass of Carolina moonshine, smile, then pee in the gas tank. My butt dyno tells me that the HP is up at least 30 and my gas mileage is up by 50%. And... no mention of that in the TSB!

Quick Reply: Acetone mileage improver?