2.4L Performance Tech 16 valve 172 hp EcoTec with 162 lb-ft of torque

another intake/exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 12:36 PM

another intake/exhaust question

2008, 2.4. Ok, so I gather that the best option (although pricey at first) for the intake is the GMPP. This is to prevent tripping the engine light, right? As far as exhaust I see that alot like the CGS and the GMPP. Will the cat back trip the engine light? Seems like no to me, but just want to make sure. What about warranty issues? I don't want to deal with any problems in the future if I need to take the HHR in for service as I'm still under warranty for quiet a while. I guess I can understand the concern with the intake side but would the dealer really refuse to fix something because I had replaced the exhaust? Whole issue is the cost difference between the GMPP and the CGS.
Thanks
Old 10-14-2009, 01:07 PM

If you replace the exhaust, the exhaust you replaced will no longer be under warranty.

I've only heard of a few that had issues swapping out the intake (CEL). But if you bring it in due to an alternator going bad, they should honor the warranty, the intake had nothing to do with it. Now if it's a intake issue....
Old 10-14-2009, 01:13 PM

Yea, that is what I'm thinking too. I'm cool with the new exhaust not being covered. I will probably go with the GMPP intake to be safe. That is the prevailing theory right? The GMPP intake will not trip the CEL and others can possibly do this, right? And to save money I'll go with the CGS or magnaflow exhaust. I've tried searching to answer my next question to no avail-any hard numbers on performance of exhaust systems. Any real difference between the GMPP, magnaflow, or CGS except sound?
Thanks
Old 10-14-2009, 01:21 PM

First... stop worrying so much about "tripping the engine light". It really doesn't happen that often.

I just installed an Airaid intake over the weekend and I love it so far. Install was a piece of cake and I haven't had a single problem with it.

As far as exhaust... please tell me exactly how a piece of piping with a resonator and a muffler is going to cause a CEL? How is that going to be a warranty problem? There ain't much that can go wrong with an exhaust pipe... anything after the catalytic converter is a completely passive part of the system. It doesn't really do anything and you could run the car without it if you really wanted to.
Old 10-14-2009, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by austingrackle
Any real difference between the GMPP, magnaflow, or CGS except sound?
Thanks
No.
Old 10-14-2009, 01:55 PM

You'll have to cut me some slack on the CEL, my other vehicle is a 71 ford truck. Before that I drove a 67 scout. I'm not that old, I've just always had old vehicles. So, I've worked on the older stuff, not so much the newer vehicles with those mighty fine CEL's. I have searched this site and noted that there were/are some possible issues with the CEL and aftermarket intakes. I just don't want to incur any charges from the dealership for resetting the CEL or have to deal with it myself, if it is possible to reset myself.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:02 PM

You'll have to cut me some slack on the CEL, my other vehicle is a 71 ford truck. Before that I drove a 67 scout. I'm not that old, I've just always had old vehicles. So, I've worked on the older stuff, not so much the newer vehicles with those mighty fine CEL's. I have searched this site and noted that there were/are some possible issues with the CEL and aftermarket intakes. I just don't want to incur any charges from the dealership for resetting the CEL or have to deal with it myself, if it is possible to reset myself.
Some have issues, most don't. Some codes you can reset by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes. Or a trip to your local Advance ot the Zone and have them clear it for free with their OBDII scanner.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:04 PM

Any real difference between the GMPP, magnaflow, or CGS except sound?
Thanks
gmpp and magnaflow are cat backs, the cgs is an axle back. cat back will net the best gain but wont be noticeable
Old 10-14-2009, 04:07 PM

Additionally, the GMPP cat back exhaust will not adversely affevt your warranty if you let the dealer put it on. They did mine for $60.00 and it is now covered by the bumper to bumper warranty
Old 10-14-2009, 06:12 PM

any gmpp parts should come with an additional warranty that goes with the part in case your warranty is up rather quickly after the install, unless they took that away.

Quick Reply: another intake/exhaust question