2.4L Performance Tech 16 valve 172 hp EcoTec with 162 lb-ft of torque

Check Engine Problem Solved !

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 11:13 AM

Check Engine Problem Solved !

One whole year after installing an AIRAID No. 200-195 cold air system on my 06 HHR LT (2.4L) David and the people at AIRAID were finally able to figure out the problem. I installed my system a year ago and from day one was plaqued with the check engine/traction control light problem that many of us have experienced. I has contacted the people at AIRAID a couple of times before but they could not provide me with any resolution to the problem. Then, about a month ago, I called them up again to see if they had come up with a solution and that is when I met David. He is a customer service rep for AIRAID. He told me that they had received a number of calls about the problem and that after being able to bring in a few of the HHR's that were having the problem where there facality is located, they were able to determine the problem. It turns out that there were varations in the plastic tube thickness that would cause to much air flow that would in turn cause the running lean code to come up on the computer and in turn the check engine light problem. They needed to measure my tube so they could send me out a thicker replacement. Since I did not have my stock air box anymore what David did was to send me out a temporary replacement to use while I sent my original one back. After they got my original one back I am assumming that they were able to somehow measure it an send me out a thicker replacement tube. Well I am happy to tell you that after one week from installing the new tube, I have not gotten one single check engine light or traction control light to appear. And that is one big relief for me becasue it also kept my remote start from working because of the check engine light. I just want to personally thank David and the team at AIRAID for there support after a whole year in helping me to resolve this problem. Thats what I call "real customer service" ! Hats off to the people at AIRAID !
Old 08-25-2008, 08:44 PM

More details please. Which tube are you talking about-the big one running from the MAF to the air cleaner? I have been going crazy with this problem on my CGS intake. The frustrating thing is that only a few people are having this code thing happen to them, so I am wondering why it is not universal?

My dealer explained that the MAF code causes the engine to go into a special mode to protect itself, and retards the timing along with the transmission shutdown of the traction control. With my car, it happens sporadicaly. Usually when I do a burnout, but also other times like sitting at a traffic light, coasting, stepping on the gas a little, etc. When I restart the engine, all is fine. After about 10 T/C codes, then I get a check engine light on for 4 restarts.

I was originally under the impression that the problem was from oil on the K&N filter getting on the MAF, and I was told to clean it. I did, and replaced my filter with an oiless AEM. Still codes. So they told me the MAF must be damaged and needs to be replaced. I am waiting for a friend of mine with an HHR to let me try his MAF before I go out and buy a new one. (I already tried a new MAP and wasted my money there).
Old 08-26-2008, 12:43 AM
Platinum Member

Didn't somebody, about the beginning of the year, mention the codes were caused by inconsistent thickness of the tubing ??? I think it might have been related to the K & N system.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:51 AM

I have the AirAid 200-195 system. It is the large tube that is connected to the air filter and has the OEM MAF sensor connected to it.
Old 09-20-2008, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by TyroneMD
I have the AirAid 200-195 system. It is the large tube that is connected to the air filter and has the OEM MAF sensor connected to it.
Can you guys explain what you mean by "thickness" of the tubing?

Are you talking about the wall thickness of the tube or are you talking about the inside diameter at the point where the MAF protrudes into the air flow.

Also, while on the subject of the Airaird intake kit, has anyone had trouble on a manual trans truck with the back of the air box contacting the cowl as the engine moves back and forth?
Old 09-20-2008, 06:35 PM
Platinum Member

Hib....

I believe when the original subject of tubing thickness was discussed....they were speaking of the I.D.
Old 09-20-2008, 08:09 PM

Then the issue is not tube thickness, but tube diameter. If there is too large a space, the air flow would be slower. I have noticed that when I get my codes it is generally when I step on the gas, which increases the air flow past the MAF snf drops the manifold vacuum . I have also noticed that when I take it out and clean it, I seem to get less codes for a short while. Dont know what it all means, though. What I do know is that it is not from the oil on the filter, since I have been using a dry filter and still get the codes, although not as often. Also, many people with the CGS dont have any problem, so why do some of us? Same with the Airraid. Only a select few have been cursed.
Old 09-21-2008, 01:21 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Lee3333
Also, many people with the CGS dont have any problem, so why do some of us? Same with the Airraid. Only a select few have been cursed.
You're probably being rhetorical but, Why do some people have rotor problems (repeatedly) and some don't. I say, it's the nature of this beast.
Old 09-21-2008, 05:43 PM

The rotor problem is much more common. All of the people I know that own HHR's have had the problem. And, they have had it repeat itself after they were cut. In fact, it is a known issue with certain cars that GM cheaped out using rotors that are too thin. My belief is that the problem develops when you drive through a puddle when the brakes are hot. The sudden cooling down warps them. Also, though, they can get warped if the wheels are not properly tightened-either the wrong sequence or not evenly torqued nuts.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:30 AM

My guess is that any fault codes relating to "lean exhaust" are caused by the design of the 2.4 Ectotec's MAF. My guess is that the MAF used is only measuring a small part of the mass of air flowing into the engine and the ECM programing contains a factor by which the data from the MAF is multiplied to get the total mass. If you increase the ID of the tube, you change the proportion of "measured" mass to "unmeasured" mass. Once that proportion is changed, the factor by which the ECM uses to derive the total mass of air going into the engine becomes in error. With more mass entering the engine than the ECM is figuring into the injector pulse width, the engine runs lean. To a certain extent the system can compensate for that using the fuel trim process but, once the fuel trim reaches it's rich limit, then the engine begins to run lean and the code sets.

Quick Reply: Check Engine Problem Solved !