2.4L Performance Tech 16 valve 172 hp EcoTec with 162 lb-ft of torque

I got my CGS intake today!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 09:09 PM

To inspect or replace the filter, do the following:

1. Disconnect the MAF sensor, PCV hose, and both ducts.

2. Pull the entire system from the top of the engine.

3. Flip the system over and place it on a soft, non-abrasive surface.

4. Remove the screws that hold the housing and cover together and lift off the housing.

5. Remove oil filler neck that extends where it used to go thru filter box. It just unscrews and you can put oil cap on that.

6. Remove bracket near firewall that the stock filter turtleused to rest on.

You are done and engine compartment will look so much better.
Old 07-03-2007, 07:26 AM

What size is that TORX wrench? Instructions from CGS are missing that step. I have TORX screwdrivers but they won't fit into the side of that aircleaner.

Joe_WaZoo
Old 07-03-2007, 06:37 PM

Got it installed and went for a putt. It really makes a difference on the interior sound! I am impressed! Now I need to have my wife drive the car by me so if I can see what it sounds like on a drive-by. Next for me will be a new muffler.

Joe_WaZoo
Old 07-06-2007, 09:59 AM

the interior sound is impressive! Not at all ricey, more of a throaty V8. It turns heads!
Old 07-07-2007, 11:37 AM

Last night I was showing my CGS Intake to my neighbor and I asked him to take my HHR for a ride so I could hear what it sounded like on the outside. Holy Cow! I was amazed at the sound. If you put the tranny in Low and manually shift that thing really sounds good! I'd recommend this upgrade to anyone. From over a block away the HHR sounds tough!

Joe_WaZoo
Old 07-08-2007, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Joe_WaZoo
Got it installed and went for a putt. It really makes a difference on the interior sound! I am impressed! Now I need to have my wife drive the car by me so if I can see what it sounds like on a drive-by. Next for me will be a new muffler.

Joe_WaZoo
Joe, was there any interference between the cgs filter and washer bottle or fender? How about rattling? Some members have complained of these issues with their CGS.
Old 07-08-2007, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by bigallis1
Joe, was there any interference between the cgs filter and washer bottle or fender? How about rattling? Some members have complained of these issues with their CGS.
I think most of them, including me, who complained had used the outlaw filter that SoCal sold as a replacement filter. It was much bigger than the CGS.

I'm now using a K&N that is oval and slides right in. I'm hoping the rubbing issue from the hood strut is solved by changing filters. Maybe the monster filter was holding the intake tube up higher. Gotta put something on it to test.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:29 PM

Well I haven't heard any rattling yet. But oddly I purchased the Outlaw filter from Socal before they closed the doors, thinking that somehow it would fit in place of my stock air filter. What an idiot I was when I got thing and said "where the hell do I mount this?" That was before I figured out that I needed the CGS product. The Outlaw filter that I recieved is smaller than the filter that came with the CGS unit. It has chrome on the underside, which you can't see from the top. But it's length is about 1 1/2" shorter than the one that came from CGS. Maybe it's a fluke.

So far no raddles yet. But then again I drive with the XM rockin.

Last week on a drive back from San Antonio to Dallas I average 31MPG with the stock intake. It will be interesting to see what I can get now, if I could just leave my foot out of it.

Joe_WaZoo