2.4L Performance Tech 16 valve 172 hp EcoTec with 162 lb-ft of torque

intake question

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 06:09 PM

Cool intake question

has anybody cut the snout off the stock air filter and made an intake from it?it looks like theres enough room to install a small filter after you cut it off from the body of the filter . id try it myself but id like to use a junk yard air filter rather then cut my factory housing. does any body want to donate their stock housing for this experiment? let me know. new to bow tie
Old 03-24-2008, 07:35 PM

Back a few years ago, a lot of people tried building their own intakes and ran into problems. The Ecotec engine needs the right amount of restriction or you get computer codes and poor performance. The safest thing is to buy one of the systems made aftermarket but are designed for the car. They have openings for the MAF sensor and were tested to work well on these cars. I have the CGS, which I like for it's cleaner look. Others are use boxes similar to but smaller than the factory one.

On a similar note, there have been a lot of experimentation with different exhaust systems. Some people found that the Ecotec engine worked best with a certain amount of back pressure, and too free-flowing an exhaust actually caused worse performance. One prior vendor did a lot of research and recommended the IMCO muffler. It is inexpensive, and made of steel that rusts. (I have one). RIght now, the Magnaflow and factory perfomance systems (same as Borla) are getting a lot of attention.

The thing to remember is that our engines are much more complicated than the old days, and everything is closely regulated by the computer system.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:27 PM

airaid quick fit intake system

I had installed a airaidquick intake system on my 2.4 2006, 5 speed man hhr and experienced the mass air sensor goes off and sets off the check eng light and when checked it says its running lean? It was either try to figure out the prob or put black tape over the check eng light?

I don't have a prob with it running a bit lean, but how do I keep the mass air sensor from setting the check engine light from going off? I have installed it per the manufactures instructions and can't keep it from happening?

I love the box unit and it does give it a few more ponnies

Last edited by alana611; 04-01-2008 at 07:29 PM. Reason: r
Old 04-03-2008, 11:45 PM

Thumbs down why

Originally Posted by Lee3333
Back a few years ago, a lot of people tried building their own intakes and ran into problems. The Ecotec engine needs the right amount of restriction or you get computer codes and poor performance. The safest thing is to buy one of the systems made aftermarket but are designed for the car. They have openings for the MAF sensor and were tested to work well on these cars. I have the CGS, which I like for it's cleaner look. Others are use boxes similar to but smaller than the factory one.
So I keep reading this, but help me understand... what exactly is the problem?

Does the computer not like the additional air flow, and be something that it could be tuned to recognize with custom firmware update?

or a limitation of the stock MAF sensor, being above its limits?

or ?? Can't be a ecotec design flaw or there would never be forced induction versions eh?

I am kind of a n00b when it comes to engines, especially the ecotec. Been reading around the net... and have been getting the impression that the 2.2 doesn't gain much at all with mods or firmware flash, but the 2.4 may be more worthwhile... so if this whole thing could be worked around with a custom tune and/or different MAF sensor, why use a air intake that is purposely limited to flowing at around stock specs?

(well aside from looks. I gotta get rid of that big ugly peice of crap. Would have been cool if GM had made it look like a old school round chrome air cleaner! If the thing wasn't so freaking HUGE on teh 2.4 I'd try to make it look like that myself.)
Old 04-03-2008, 11:50 PM

You Can Do This... The Problem Is It Doesnt Move The Filter Out Of The Way Of Other Things.... You Will Eaither Rub On The Cover To The Right Or Beat Up Even The Smallest Filters On The Left... Just Lay Down The Money And Buy A Quality Part From A Supporting Vendor - Its Well Worth The Money And It Will Save You The Hassle And Time Foolin' Around...\

Does Any One Still Sell The GCS Inatkes???
Old 12-01-2010, 05:23 PM

I am actually about tp build my own "custom" intake system on my 06 LT. Any advise before I start??? Anybody????
Old 12-01-2010, 05:34 PM

Keep the tube where the MAF sensor is at 2.5 inches (3 inches is common size found in autoparts houses) and make sure you are getting cold air like the factory unit does. If the element is under hood you are getting hot air and somewhat defeating the purpose of a CAI.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:02 PM

makeing an intake.

I just finished mine I had an CGS intake did not like the filter next to the engine, I made several cuts and welds to the CGS bought a 10 inch Edelbrock round filter from Summit $24.90 including shipping, will get it powered coated sometime soon, the filter is chrome for a few dollars should have gotten the black powered coated one.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:47 PM

the throttle body controls airflow and the puter corrects the fuel metering....the problem is with sensor location....any small disruptions in airflow over the sensor will cause it to misread outside of programed parameters......that throws the fuel /timing/ and everything else out of wack.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:04 PM

Lets see it!

Originally Posted by jay loukakis
I just finished mine I had an CGS intake did not like the filter next to the engine, I made several cuts and welds to the CGS bought a 10 inch Edelbrock round filter from Summit $24.90 including shipping, will get it powered coated sometime soon, the filter is chrome for a few dollars should have gotten the black powered coated one.
Please!

Quick Reply: intake question