2.4L Performance Tech 16 valve 172 hp EcoTec with 162 lb-ft of torque

K&n cipk

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 05:48 PM

K&n cipk

Okay Okay, I have read most of the forums that I can regarding K&N type cold air performance kits. They're expensive, they are more for looks it is said.

But do they work?

Like oil changes, nitrogen vs. air in the tires, etc. There must a 1000 different opinions. One person who I work with states that the oil collects and the filter clogs faster - so it is worse for the car. He is also a race car driver. But the way he treats his personal vehicles and the ambulances is horrible - so I don't put much stock in what he has to say.

Do they work? Are they worth the price? Are they snake oil?

Any info would be helpful.

Chris
Old 03-05-2009, 05:59 PM

I own a Diesel truck. On the Diesel forum there was a guy who worked at an oil testing lab. It is very common to do oil testing on Diesels since they hold so much oil people like to stretch the oil changes. This guy swears he could always tell from the test results if the oil came from a truck with a K&N filter on it. He was always right! He could tell by amount of solid particles in the oil.

I have "performance" intakes on my sports cars but none of them have K&N filters.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:39 PM

napa gold

you may want to try napa gold air filter. it would be a much less expensive test. you may also want to remove or replace anything that is restricting air flow. i took the fuzzy colapsable gm cold air tube off mine and gained more than 2mpg along with adding the napa gold. maybe mine was defective , maybe not , but it was restrictive.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by catdaddy137
i took the fuzzy colapsable gm cold air tube off mine and gained more than 2mpg along with adding the napa gold. maybe mine was defective , maybe not , but it was restrictive.
Really? 2mpg? Where exactly is this thing, and how do I take it off? I'd really like a little mpg gain! Every bit helps
Old 03-05-2009, 09:57 PM

part

Originally Posted by CrazyCarKid
Really? 2mpg? Where exactly is this thing, and how do I take it off? I'd really like a little mpg gain! Every bit helps
part of the gain could have been the replacing of my filter. it's the thing that looks like a big wooly worm , or a fuzzy radiator hose , the cold air hose. mine is 08 , others may look different . i can't believe that k&n does not give a new smoother 1 with their kit.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:59 PM

part of the gain could have been the replacing of my filter. it's the thing that looks like a big wooly worm , or a fuzzy radiator hose , the cold air hose. mine is 08 , others may look different . i can't believe that k&n does not give a new smoother 1 with their kit.
Huh...and it's right by the air filter? Guess I'll have to check that out...

Thanks!
Old 03-05-2009, 10:39 PM

i think on the 06 it is wrapped in plastic. its a black tube that goes from the plastic thing on top of your engine that says ecotec on it and it goes to the passenger side fender.
Old 04-13-2009, 03:59 PM

you may want to try napa gold air filter. it would be a much less expensive test. you may also want to remove or replace anything that is restricting air flow. i took the fuzzy colapsable gm cold air tube off mine and gained more than 2mpg along with adding the napa gold. maybe mine was defective , maybe not , but it was restrictive.
What did you replace it with? Just curious as I don't want to go with a K&N or other crazy setup as I don't feel like affecting the mass airflow sensor or at least what the engine is predicting to see in the way of air flow or even changing the way it sounds (unless it makes it sound better ;-))
Old 04-13-2009, 04:16 PM

I just went with a custom CAI(Cold Air Intake) Local person here making them Secret Services: More pics in my profile of it
Old 04-14-2009, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by 09 Panel
(snip)
I have "performance" intakes on my sports cars but none of them have K&N filters.

What filters do you install in your "performance" intakes?