2.4L Performance Tech 16 valve 172 hp EcoTec with 162 lb-ft of torque

Lower Temp Thermostat

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 10:51 AM
Platinum Member

To Scoot and SoCal....

Thanks for that info. I had been considering that additive because of "Songman" and someone elses discussion on other threads.

I am however, very concerned about warranty issues, because of the Owners Book and TSB discussions related to radiator/cooling additives. A discussion with a friend, who is a service advisor at a dealership (not mine), said IF GM deems any malfunction a result of the additive, a normal radiator/pump repair would be in excess of $1000.

I still may try it, however. Again, risk and reward.

The display of engine temp.'s is why, on a previous discussion, I raised questions in regard to the relationship between engine temp.'s and trans. temps. It would be my belief that if those "extreme" temps. in the engine have some relationship to the trans., it would cause premature trans failure (probably just after warranty expires).

Again, thanks for the info.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:57 AM
Platinum Member

CJ, I saw it on one of the internet websites that I "Googled", for info on Royal Purple. You might try that, if you have not.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
To Scoot and SoCal....
I am however, very concerned about warranty issues...
Agreed... however, I can't honestly think a dealer would give you static over pouring in an $8 bottle of additive. ESPECIALLY when your vehicle is operating in excess of 200+*!!!!!!- but guess it depends on the dealer.
Honestly, there's 2 ways to avoid this problem... #1- they'd never know because the 12oz.'s of color added (the RedLine product is HOT PINK) would blend in with the DexCool and be unnoticable, #2- drain and refill prior to service. ~Then again, if your having cooling problems, it may have already 'auto-drained' itself.

Honestly, though... people RACE with ONLY this in their rad's!!! *Most* do not contain silica, which would wreak havoc on aluminum pumps and/or brass gaskets, therefore I really don't see how the additive could be the cause of any significant problems. On that point- couldn't the dealer argue that using any engine oil other than the recommended grade be the cause of engine failure (e.g. synthetics)?
I could go on and on with analogies, but... you get the point. I guess it really comes down to the dealer/service department your dealing with... *should* their ever be a problem.
Go out and buy some 'quality' additive!!! Just my Very reasonably priced mod with OUTSTANDING results!!
F.Y.I. ... I was (very) hesitent to put it in my motorcycle back in '95... but did (in '96) and haven't looked back since! Put it in every vehicle I've owned since...
Old 07-19-2006, 12:17 PM
Platinum Member

O'k...you convinced me !!!!
Old 07-19-2006, 06:50 PM

Reading through this thread I've noticed people reporting higher than "normal" temps. I'm assuming these where the temps the DIC displayed. What did the analog gauge say? I ask because I've noticed my digital temp on the DIC go from 194 to 210 waiting for a green light but, the analog gauge doesn't move. I'm wondering just how accurate is the digital readout.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:47 PM
Platinum Member

Based on previous DIC experience (no puns here), I would put more faith in the digital than the "analog".

My analog displayed just a bit over the half way point at the time I got the 228 readings on the DIC (BTW ..dash gages are indicators, according to GM, not gauges....because of of previous law suit).
Old 07-20-2006, 12:07 AM

I was on GC run with the wifes HHR (HHR DLYT), we encounted high temps several times on the way to Williams on Friday evening and on the way home. We saw temps of 235+ causing us to run without the A/C on to keep the temp from rising any higher. I was using both gauges, the analog gauge went 3/4s of the way up, prompting me to check the digital gauge. The DIC showed temps of 235+ the outside temp was over 110 f at the time and we were pulling some long grades at 80MPH, after slowing to around 70MPH, reducing engine RPM the temp started to drop. Snoopy and I discussed using cooling adittives while and the GC, I just completed building a 71 SS Chevelle big block car that I installed A/C on. It was having a couple of cooling issues, I flushed the system even though coolant was only a couple of months old, refilled with fresh coolant, water and Water Wetter, noticed about a 15 f drop in operating temps even with higher outside temps than before. I have a bottle of Water Wetter I think I'm going put it in the HHR. I agree Snoop, I think GM under estimated the cooling system and question if GM tested the HHR under extreme condition. It concerns me seeing such high running temps.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:51 AM

Snoopy
Have you notice any high temps on yours the last few days? Seems like with the hotter outside temps mine is running a little hotter. But I am not sure if that also has to due with the fact at work has to sit outside in the sun.

When I first stated reading this thread I was not to worried, but after the CG run and this last week, I am stating to wonder about it all.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:39 AM
Platinum Member

Yeah D...

I noticed "in traffic" engine temps of 215-217 when the ambient rises to about 108-110. Temps seem acceptable at 190-200 when the ambient is below 105. On the freeway near the "stack" I had an ambient of 117 and my engine temp went to 217 in pretty heavy, well moving traffic.
Old 07-20-2006, 03:40 PM

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones... I did a surveillance job this week and was sitting in my HHR for 9 hours, sitting in one spot with it running and the a/c going, outside temp of 104 and my temp gauge never went above the halfway mark and my DIC never read over 203....

CBL

Quick Reply: Lower Temp Thermostat