2.4L Performance Tech 16 valve 172 hp EcoTec with 162 lb-ft of torque

Not Sure 2.4 or SS

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 09:18 AM

Not Sure 2.4 or SS

I'm sure this may have been discussed here before but I love the HHR and am going to get one. I just have been torn. I was all set on getting a HHR LT2, I love the leather seats and living in the northeast, love the heated seats. BUT, I discoverd the SS and although I haven't driven the turbo, I can only imagine, that the SS with the Auto, which I believe is 235hp is substantially more then the 170+ hp that the 2.4 puts out. You can't get the leather or heated seats in the SS (as far as I can see, I'm talking used HHR, 2008) I also like the chrome front end more on the regular HHR as well as the cheaper price. I would like some input from those who either have both or know of both and the pro's and cons. Also, can you reasonably increase the HP on the 2.4 without going crazy. I know on the turbo you can get a stage 1 kit that is factory approved and increase the HP substantially, does this exist for the 2.4. Thank you for any info. you can spare.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:20 AM

Fyi

I have posted several questions on the SS site and they have been very receptive and helpful, thanks to all.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:50 AM
ecl

I personally would get an SS more power is always fun. Most the chrome parts on the LT2(handles and beauty bar and mirror caps, just not the grill) are interchangebale so what you could do is get the SS and then get the chrome parts and install them. Same goes for the seats if you really wanted, but as far heated seats there are aftermarket kits that adds that. No stage kit for the 2.4 from GM but you can get aftermarket tunes.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:07 AM

To me, the SS would be a no-brainer, but I can see your point. I suspect with bolt ons, a cam, and a tune you could make ~230 HP out of the 2.4. Someone's working on 2.4L turbo kit around here, I'm pretty sure. Can't remember the company off the top of my head. But I think they were pushing more HP than the 2.0L
Old 02-11-2010, 02:23 PM

yeah but an SS with about $300 will get you 300+hp and TQ and no physical parts...just a tune......start adding the physical parts and you keep going up,,though the proper routine would be parts first then tune last....
Old 02-11-2010, 02:32 PM

I agree the chrome grill on the LT is nice, but the SS as a total package is just badass. My experience with heated seats on a Boxster was that they were unnecessary if the interior was sufficiently warm. The SS auto comes with Remote Start, so you never have to enter a cold car. I say get the SS and see how you feel about the cloth seats with the cool SS logos on them for a while, then get leather put in later if you still want it.

BTW, it is my understanding that the SS auto has 250hp in 3rd and 4th gears. All I know is mine is FAST. Get that sucker!
Old 02-11-2010, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by HHRemi
The SS auto comes with Remote Start,
All auto HHR's (except a few rentals) have remote start.
Old 02-13-2010, 03:04 PM
Platinum Member

my .02, you should test drive one of each & do your own comparison..

The SS will be stiffer riding.

I prefer the 2LT.. but that's my choice....
Old 02-13-2010, 06:09 PM

I agree - try them all.....

Sleeper/SSGuy is right....try them all. Everyone has different needs. I own a 2.4 2LT. My local streets look like a bomb zone, and I wish my 2LT was softer. I know there is no way I could live with the SS suspension daily on my commute. I like the "vintage" bodywork and chrome of a 2LT better for my taste. I would like the power of an SS, but seriously, look at how many SS owners complain of gremlins here on the boards versus the lower line cars. I do like the added power of the 2.4 versus the 2.2 liter. I like the 2.4 2LT, but everyone is different and has different needs. Drive them all and base your decision on what you like. God Bless, Marc
Old 02-13-2010, 06:31 PM

In response to rotaryboy23's assertion that you can get 230 hp out of a 2.4 with added (non-pressurized) parts. I would certainly like to see a listing of parts that would get you there. Unlike a 5.0 Mustang, I was disappointed when I bought my HHR to find there are not that many performance parts for a 2.4 liter. It appears to me that most of the good stuff you can do to a 4-cylinder are already on there. It is pretty large displacement (for a four), it is a fuelie, it has 4 valves per cylinder, and variable valve timing with relatively high compression and a coil on each plug and a computer optimizing things. What are you going to reasonably add?

The only things I can think of are a free exhaust with header, a free breathing intake, and a tune. Premium gas and synthetic oil are a given. The exhaust reportedly gets you about 5 hp. The K&N or GMPP gives you about 5 hp (the rest are lower). A tune will give you what....20hp max (with better bottom end due to removing the enrichment delay) running premium fuel? Added together, you may not see a total combined 30 hp increase. With all of that, you'll have, say 200hp. Where is the extra 30 hp you are thinking to get you to 230 hp? I'd like to add it to Elvis.

The only other thing I can think of is tearing an engine completely apart, and balancing the whole thing. At that time you could add stronger parts that would allow a higher rpm. Then you'd need different cams to optimize the extra top end. Most likely you'd sacrifice bottom end then. Also, you are talking boatloads of cash thrown at an inexpensive HHR. Sure, the drag race and GM salt flats car can make up to 800 to 1000 hp pressurized, but at huge cost and low life expectency.

Basically, other than a turbo or supercharger, it will be hard to add much to the factory 2.4 liter. And, a turbo or supercharger addition will not be easy.....nor immune to problems (see the guys who have done it here on the boards). If someone tells you there is a cheap and easy way to add hp to a 2.4, ask to see a dyno. The best, and in my book only, bang-for-the-buck would be a TriFecta tune.

Just my 2 cents worth. God Bless, Marc