2.4L Performance Tech 16 valve 172 hp EcoTec with 162 lb-ft of torque

Quick Oil Change Valve

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 06:39 AM

Quick Oil Change Valve

Someone on another thead shared this link some time back.

http://www.quickoildrainvalve.com/

I placed my order for the part number F-107 and ADP-107 Adapter.
I finally got the chance to change my oil using it, and I have to say this is a great product. Since I installed it, I don't need to drive up on car ramps.
I just slide the pan under the car, stick my arm to where the plug normally is and turn the little lever, and the oil comes gushing out. Then twist it back.

I have since ordered another on for my 2005 Colorado which happnens to be the same part number without the adapter. The adapter is needed on the HHR due to the indent of the oil pan, and it provides the additional clearance that the lever needs.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:58 AM
Founding Member

Thanks for the review! This would be quite a nifty tool for my lowered HHR....I'll have to show Mr. B this one, I know he'll want it!
Old 08-26-2007, 10:05 AM
Banned

Couldn't a piece of road debris hit it and cause all your oil to drain? That's reason enough for me not to put one on. Sindy....don't even think of putting one on a lowered vehicle because the company warns against it on their own site. From their safety section:

1.Drive carefully at all times, and if you run over any foreign object on the road, pull over and check the valve for any damage or leak.

2.N-Series valve(with Nipple to accept hose) is not recommended for passenger cars with low ground clearance.

I personally wouldn't take the risk of all the oil draining out of my vehicle to provide a little convince when it comes oil change time.
Old 08-26-2007, 10:09 AM
Founding Member

Thanks..... and Wow, I missed that part as I only briefly scanned the site... this is a tool I won't be getting for the HHR now.... dang, and it's a great idea though... just not for a lowered car! Bummer!
Old 08-26-2007, 10:36 AM

You make a good point about being low to the ground.
I got the one without the nipple. It's only 5/8" long and I think it is safe.
With the engine mounted the way it is with the HHR, the valve/nut would be behind the pan.
So if you would hit something head on, I would think you have a dent in your oil pan first. Now backing up would be a different story.
It's made of brass, and it looks similar to a "Gas Line" Valve.
I really like it...

My Colorado is a 4X4, and no way anything will hit that one being so high off the ground.
Old 08-26-2007, 10:39 AM
Banned

I know it has a two part lock on it so it's probably safe from most debris but I just wouldn't personally feel safe with one. Maybe I just worry too much.
Old 08-26-2007, 11:20 AM

It's good that someone like you brings up the issues, it's like having a second set of eyes on the instructions.

You got me thinking and I just laid down on the ground and looked at the oil pan and the plug, and I convinced myself you would make a dent in the pan before hitting that 5/8" nut/valve. I don't even see it looking straight across the pan. I have to extend my arm, and go up to the valve that is on the low back side of the pan (from front of vehicle).
I think we are safe...

But... everyone should consider the risk on there own vehicle.

I tell you, it sure makes changing your oil easy...
I shoved a pan under the hhr, and turned the lever, oil comes out.
Didn't even get oil on my hands.
Changed my oil filter.
Wen't back and closed the valve.
Then poured the oil in.
Gosh, it was as easy as working on my lawn mower.

Thanks,
Keith
Old 08-26-2007, 12:11 PM

This sure does seem like a good product, but I'm with Howdy on this one. I don't like the size of that lever and how it could swing open if maybe caught on something under the car. I know that the HHRs are not offroad vehicles but something could grab and turn that thing if you were to get off the beaten path.
I have used this Fram Suredrain type valve on previous vehicles and like it alot. It replaces your oil plug with a valve that you screw a cap onto so NOTHING will hit the valve, even if the cap comes off, which I have never seen. To drain the oil you remove the screw cap by hand and screw on a short hose on to the valve, the hose pushes in the valve as you tighten it on and you can even aim the hose right into your drain pan. The only downfall I've seen with this system is that when I moved I had the hose packed away somewhere and had to just remove the valve to change the oil and put it back in when I was done. Other than that it has been awesome never dripped oil on the driveway since I've got it

Just throwing another option in the mix so people can see what cool things are available.
Old 08-26-2007, 12:26 PM
Banned

I like the Fram one. That would take away my concern of it accidentally coming open. But seeing as how my oil changes at the dealership are only $9.95 for as long as I own my HHR I'm not going to make someone else's job easier.
Old 08-26-2007, 12:39 PM

I tried the Fram one on my Cavalier, went to screw it in the pan and the hex head separted from the threads. Never bothered to get another one, they are obviously cheaply made.

Quick Reply: Quick Oil Change Valve