2.4L Performance Tech 16 valve 172 hp EcoTec with 162 lb-ft of torque

Sensor Identification - Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2020, 02:19 AM
geg

Unfortunately, the continuation of the epic with an oil leak.

A week after replacing the oil pressure sensor, drops of oil on the floor continued, but to a lesser extent. The problem remained, although its scale decreased. Last Saturday, a visit to the workshop, where there is a lift.

As the respected members Whopper and Oldblue wrote, I had to remove the starter (previously it was problematic since I do not have a car lift).

The painting, which opened after the dismantling of the starter.

It can be seen that another sensor is crying with oily tears. The prospect of a new waste of money saddened me a little, but the mechanic came up with a wise idea - to unscrew the sensor and look at the gasket. We did it.
The gasket is a green rubber ring made of oil-resistant rubber (or silicone? I did not understand until the end). We took it off like a stocking and threw it away. The workshop turned out to be a whole set of the similar green rings of different sizes. We selected approximately suitable diameter and thickness - it stuck like a native. The leak has been fixed.
The rubber ring was given to me as a gift. Payment for work was set at the rate of "how many do not mind." I was not mind for $ 15 - both parties liked this numeral.

I do not know if you are interested in reading all this routine that I am writing. But I made a discovery for myself - this set of several hundred rubber rings of different diameters. I was told that it is not expensive. At different times, I had to buy rubber rings one at a time, and they always cost a lot. It is a pity that I did not know about the existence of such sets before. If I see it once, I will definitely buy it. This is enough for all life and will be inherited by children.
Old 03-02-2020, 02:46 AM
geg

Now I specifically went to Alliexpress in search of a similar set.
Here is a link to the first counter product. https://aliexpress.ru/i/2019931525.html
Oil-resistant / freon-resistant o-rings for less than 10 USD per set. For installation of car air conditioners. A lot of happiness at the price of couple donuts.
Old 03-02-2020, 06:08 AM

geg those o-rings are commonly used for the lines on the AC system (air condition) on a car.
Different color o-rings can tell you where they are used for and the material they are made from.
https://www.globaloring.com/oring-colors/
Old 03-02-2020, 06:53 AM
Administrator

That looks like the crankshaft position sensor

That’s it in the right
Old 03-02-2020, 08:26 AM

Black for sanitary water, yellow for water and gas, green for high temps (160C) and corrosives.

https://www.frabo.com/eng/media-cent...d-green-o-ring
Old 03-02-2020, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Black for sanitary water
Many older engines used just black o-rings. I guess they all just had water (I mean clean water) in them.

Again here is the listing of all the types and colors. You can do a search on where there application is used.
https://www.globaloring.com/oring-colors/
Old 03-03-2020, 02:07 AM
geg

There is another oil smudge found after removing the starter. I hope this does not grow into a big problem and money expenses.
It’s hard to see in the photo, but small drops from under the sealant.

I think when assembling the engine, the joint between the block and the bottom was sealed and a certain amount of sealant naturally protruded. Now this sealant is torn off in one place and I observe the oil under it.
The leak is not large and does not interfere with the normal operation of the engine, but over time it will grow to a full leak. We'll have to disassemble the motor to anew glue this lower part.
And I don’t even know how difficult or easy it is.
I think this lower part - that this thing is what we call it a “crankshaft bed”. In general, some hemorrhoids are waiting for me in the near future.
Old 03-03-2020, 05:29 AM
Administrator

Clean it and apply silicone sealant to that area of the seam.
Old 03-03-2020, 07:01 AM
geg

I thought about it
but, it seems to me, the effectiveness of such a measure will not be sufficient
I looked at such a thing

it softens and polymerizes rubber parts inside the engine
but such a measure does not inspire confidence in me either
Old 03-03-2020, 08:11 AM
Administrator

The sealant between the two surfaces would not be pushed out, because there is no pressure present. The oil you see there can be simply residual from another leak , like the oil pressure sender or the front seal or most commonly, oil spilt from an oil filter change.
The snake oil you posted, could effect rubber seals , but most likely not have any positive effect on the silicone sealants.

Quick Reply: Sensor Identification - Oil Leak