2.4L Performance Tech 16 valve 172 hp EcoTec with 162 lb-ft of torque

Supercharged 2.4l Stage 2 Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 09:07 PM

Supercharged 2.4l Stage 2 Clutch

Didn't see any other posts for a Stage 2 clutch for the 2.4l so here it is. Anyone boosting the crap out of their 2.4l HHR has probably had to replace the clutch. My stock clutch held at about 7psi for 3 months. Then I got a smaller pulley this winter and I am currently at 11psi and the stock clutch didn't stand a chance. So after looking into clutches I ended up going with the Exedy Stage 2 Clutch # 04950 (thick). I was concerned because it says it is rated at 279ft/lbs and I should be above that right now. I was having trouble finding a clutch for the 2.4s that could hold more so I went with this one since many Cobalt guys have been happy with it and a few of them have similar setups. After getting the transmission out I noticed the stock clutch is actually an Exedy(Daikin) clutch as well. I had the stock flywheel machined to help prolong the life of this clutch which was about $65. It had some hot spots and a blueish hue from getting burned up It looked brand new when i got it back from the shop. I also needed new flywheel bolts ($40) since they are TTY. So...The first thing I noticed is that depressing the clutch is seriously twice as hard(which is probably why it says 110% more torque). Exedy advises breaking a clutch in for 500 miles, but the GM sport compact book states breaking them in for a heat cycle, so I went half way. During the first 50 miles or so I noticed engagement was a bit smoother and it got much easier to drive soon after. Initially the clutch is very quick to engage and will likely make you look like your just learning to drive a manual I have about 250 miles on it now. I did some wide open pulls and it is awesome to finally feel all the power hooking up. I put a limited slip in since I had the transmission out as well. The clutch is holding with no signs of slippage and I am breaking traction with the LSD in second gear
Old 06-11-2011, 03:08 AM
Rest In Peace

Your a Busy little Bee with your HHR!

No Clutch for me, mines an Automatic.

Old 06-11-2011, 06:29 AM

I installed this clutch in the winter along with the LSD. The clutch has performed really well so far with no signs of slippage. I have about 3k miles on it so far. I'll keep the thread updated if i have issues.

Ha! I have read the auto transmission holds up to boost well. Sometimes I wish I had one too so I could enjoy the smooth ride and high power.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:09 AM

What are the details on the lsd? Ive only seen the quaife kit, very expensive.
Old 06-11-2011, 05:25 PM

I read about the OBX for our Getrag F23 M86 and decided to go with it. It was an ebay purchase for $300 vs. the Quaife $1200. From what I gathered it is not the quality of the Quaife. I found a thread on another forum from a guy who rebuilt it right when he got it and his held up great. I also rebuilt it and made sure everything was in the proper order as per his writeup. It is holding up fine at the moment and it really grabs the pavement around corners and digs are wayyy faster. There is another LSD option available too. I think Phantom Grip makes a product to convert the open diff to LSD using springs and plates $2-$300ish. If this LSD fails I will try the Phantom due to the simplicity in design.