Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   2.4L Performance Tech (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/2-4l-performance-tech-14/)
-   -   Trying to get my IMCO installed. (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/2-4l-performance-tech-14/trying-get-my-imco-installed-3940/)

Navyflyer11 08-15-2006 07:55 AM

Trying to get my IMCO installed.

I took my HHR to a muffler shop in OKC yesterday to get my imco installed. The muffler shop wouldn't install it, they said it wouldn't fit. I knew he just wanted to sell me a diffrent muffler when he was going through the whole "I can't put that muffler in there" speach. Now I will have to check out a few diff places. I have a friend who will do it for me but he is out of town and won't be back for a couple of weeks.:confused:

JESSE 08-15-2006 08:00 AM

Thats sucks! Your right, he was just trying to make money off you. Everyone here knows that it fits. Good luck!

solman98 08-15-2006 08:00 AM

Go to a locallly owned shop and not a national type and they should hook you up. They usually do a better job and charge less also.

cj krause 08-15-2006 08:24 AM

keep calling around
i did and i found someone
just tell them you want this one installed and 1000's have been sold for the HHR and we know it works

lol
good luck

Novadiecast 08-15-2006 08:45 AM

My local shop said it would not fit also. I made them put it on. There is a little bit of a clearance issue with the drivers side inner fender(PLASTIC) you can trim it with a razor knife if they will let you in the shop, or do it when you get home.

TX-HHR 08-15-2006 08:56 AM

Same story here, the guy at the muffler shop told me it wouldn't fit unless he installed it "backwards" :wtf: Told me if it didn't work i'd have to pay him to put the stock muffler back on. Like others I had to assure him it would work, had to tell him to get the torch out and start cutting. :lol: Sounds typical of a shop wanting to sell you their own stuff plus the labor. :eek:

HHR PNOY 08-15-2006 10:10 AM

wow, sorry to hear you're having issues. Novadiecast is correct with the clearance issue. My shop just used the torch to burn off the plastic to make clearance for the muffler.

fallenSaint 08-15-2006 10:20 AM

I go to a place here in Tulsa on 11th street if you can't find any other place, forgot the name of the shop off hand but they've yet to turn down a job one and they are pretty easy to work with.

El_Guapo 08-15-2006 10:26 AM

it amazes me how many places will turn down work...

Lee3333 08-15-2006 10:31 AM

I had my work done at a major chain-Midas. They are an individually owned franchise, so your experience will depend on who is running it. In my case, the owner told me to see one of its workers, Eric, who specializes in custom fabrication. He easily installed it in minutes, using a factory-type hanger in the back that inserts into the original rubber hanger. Plus, he added another pipe for dual exhaust with a collector to close it off. (See my other post here for photos.)

My point is anything is possible if they are willing to do it. And, just the muffler installation is quite simple. By the way, my total labor cost was $200. They said 80 for the muffler and 120 for the dual conversion. Personally, I thought the 80 was a little high, but 120 was low for the amount of work done.