Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   2.4L Performance Tech (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/2-4l-performance-tech-14/)
-   -   Trying to get my IMCO installed. (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/2-4l-performance-tech-14/trying-get-my-imco-installed-3940/)

ivtech 08-15-2006 11:53 AM

When I was looking to get mine installed called Midas they would do it. I went to a muffler shop a friend recomended I watched the complete install no cutting of plastic needed.

cheezehead 08-15-2006 01:47 PM

I had the same problem. What i did finally was print out the install instructions from Mike's site and brought it in to show them, and they did the install with no problem's.

courthousedeb 08-15-2006 01:55 PM

Excellent idea cheezehead. :thumb: Had no problems finding anyone to do mine...but I had them order the muffler for me and they didn't question anything at all.

Alzonie 08-15-2006 03:10 PM

:cool: A few weeks back I bought a T924 to put on my '96 Altima to check out the sound before trying to persuade my Wife to put one on the HHR. Two different shops told me they couldn't do it.:confused:
Turns out the Altima and the "LS" both have 1 3/4 in. ex. pipes and they claimed it was too much to go from that to the 2 1/4 in. pipe on the T924.:( The "LTs" have a bigger ex.pipe, which I didn't know originally:red: .
So, I checked back with Full Line Exhaust and bought a T909 Turbo (2 in.pipes) and had that put on the Altima. Sounds great!! Nice purr to it outside, not too noticeable inside.:smile:
Now I have a T924 sitting in my trunk and I'm not sure whether to try getting someone to put it on the HHR "eventually", or get another T909 for it ?:confused:

dan-d 08-15-2006 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Alzonie
:cool: A few weeks back I bought a T924 to put on my '96 Altima to check out the sound before trying to persuade my Wife to put one on the HHR. Two different shops told me they couldn't do it.:confused:
Turns out the Altima and the "LS" both have 1 3/4 in. ex. pipes and they claimed it was too much to go from that to the 2 1/4 in. pipe on the T924.:( The "LTs" have a bigger ex.pipe, which I didn't know originally:red: .
So, I checked back with Full Line Exhaust and bought a T909 Turbo (2 in.pipes) and had that put on the Altima. Sounds great!! Nice purr to it outside, not too noticeable inside.:smile:
Now I have a T924 sitting in my trunk and I'm not sure whether to try getting someone to put it on the HHR "eventually", or get another T909 for it ?:confused:

Well if your not going to use the T924 let me know since I still haven't gotten around to buying one yet. Just been too busy around here with house stuff. -Dan

Alzonie 08-15-2006 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by dan-d
Well if your not going to use the T924 let me know since I still haven't gotten around to buying one yet. Just been too busy around here with house stuff. -Dan

:smile: I'll mull that over! Too bad you're so far away! The box it came in is kinda beat up on the ends. Don't know if it would make it cross- country as is!:(

SoCalHHR 08-15-2006 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Novadiecast
My local shop said it would not fit also. I made them put it on. There is a little bit of a clearance issue with the drivers side inner fender(PLASTIC) you can trim it with a razor knife if they will let you in the shop, or do it when you get home.

WRONG! Don't listen to the kooks; they are trying to put it on wrong. The proper way to install the IMCO is like this:

http://www.socalhhr.citymax.com/i/Ex..._BeveledSm.jpg

They are non-diretcional internally, so can be installed either way. For CLEARANCE purposes, installing it as shown keeps the muffler away from the plastic inner fender AND left rear springs.

Hope it helps,

dan-d 08-15-2006 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Alzonie
:smile: I'll mull that over! Too bad you're so far away! The box it came in is kinda beat up on the ends. Don't know if it would make it cross- country as is!:(

Yeah, I hate shipping companies, thay don't care about handling packages. The best thing about doing a muffler install for me is that I can do it myself. My welding skills suck but it will hold...LOL

SoCalHHR 08-15-2006 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by dan-d
Yeah, I hate shipping companies, thay don't care about handling packages. The best thing about doing a muffler install for me is that I can do it myself. My welding skills suck but it will hold...LOL

Is that a Mars bar or a Butterfinger? :lol:

trey1966 08-15-2006 05:29 PM

I am going to take mine the Richard's Performance Muffler in Vista and have them do it. At least I know they have done it before and can do it again without any issues. I order it last week and it should be at my doorstep when I get home today! WOOHOO