2.4L Performance Tech 16 valve 172 hp EcoTec with 162 lb-ft of torque

What type muffler should I use..

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 03:40 PM

What type muffler should I use..

Question,
First, let me state, I'm not really up on all the technical stuff associated with car modification. With that being said, I'd like any feedback on replacing my stock muffler with something that gives me a louder sound. I'm looking for something on the order of what you hear some Civics and similar models sounding like...if this is even possible. I'm not looking to spend a ton of money, but I am willing to pay if it is what will get the job done!! Any responses appreciated...
Old 02-20-2007, 03:46 PM
Banned

If you want to make your car sound like a ricer use a brand that the want to be fast and furious idiots use like APC.
Old 02-20-2007, 03:51 PM

I had a flow master super 40 on mine and it was loud, but sounded really good. Thats the one I'd go for.
Old 02-20-2007, 04:44 PM

When I gety my jetta I am going to put a magnaflow kit on it.
Old 02-20-2007, 05:10 PM

If you just want to make noise maybe you could put on a "Cherry Bomb" from Pep Boys or Checker Auto!
Old 02-20-2007, 05:26 PM

Tell me your kidding. Those civics sound like a friggin bee on steroids. Gives me a headache. I'm a fan of flowmasters and the IMCO Turbo. Hey BlackHHR do you have any vids of your car??? I'd like to get an idea of how the super 40's sound. I had'em on my mustang and were sick. But i havnt heard them on a 4 cyl.
Old 02-20-2007, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by darrylzx11
Question,
First, let me state, I'm not really up on all the technical stuff associated with car modification. With that being said, I'd like any feedback on replacing my stock muffler with something that gives me a louder sound. I'm looking for something on the order of what you hear some Civics and similar models sounding like...if this is even possible. I'm not looking to spend a ton of money, but I am willing to pay if it is what will get the job done!! Any responses appreciated...
Burn yourself a CD of the sound you like and play it in your CD player so the rest of the world doesn't have to hear it.
Old 02-20-2007, 05:52 PM

They don't have to be loud and obnoxious, they can be low and wonderful. And besides you don't have to drive it to the max, you save it and dole it out when the coast is clear. The world would be really boring if we were all alike... I hate boring.

Well, since we're supposed to be being helpful... I had a bit of luck going to You Tube and searching on PT Cruiser Exhaust sounds. They have small engines too, and most sounded icky to me. There was one I liked and I messaged the guy and this is what he said...

"Thanks! We have a performance shop here local who built it for me. Basically they did a 2.5" catback with a dynomax resonator and a dynoflow muffler and made it out of mandrel bent stainless steel. Best part of all was it was less than $450. :)"

Other than that, I can't be of much help. I know there are a lot of PT haters here, but I had a BEAR of a time finding HHR exhaust sounds, and the same with the Cobalts. Oh, if you want to hear it, you can search on the guy, merdinus2006. I was looking for a non Turbo or supercharged one, since that's a horse of a different color.
Old 02-20-2007, 06:03 PM

Check with Mike at SoCal the T-924 is what I have on mine, I also have the CGS Intake as well.
It purrrrrrrrrrs nicely.
Old 02-20-2007, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by mitzkity
... I had a BEAR of a time finding HHR exhaust sounds...
Why is that Mitzy?

We have video clips of them up right on our site!

HHR Exhaust Clips

Hope it helps!

Quick Reply: What type muffler should I use..