Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

3rd brake light and WeatherTechs

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 12:57 PM

3rd brake light and WeatherTechs

pictures to come soon, as i have yet to install either, but i thought i'd get a thread going (seeing as how i haven't really done any threads about my car other than my intro and when i did my LEDs).

ordered the WeatherTech window visors (front and rear) in the smoke tint, and they arrived yesterday, got them from WeatherTechs website, and they got here in about a week. total price was i believe $109 and some change. remember, the WeatherTechs are the ones that cover the entire back windows, not just the movable portion (what i was after). also according to other threads around here, they have a slimmer profile than the other brands.

i ordered a third brake light decal from vinzdecals.com (suggested in another thread). i did the custom setup (pick your size and font, font size, color). i don't remember the exact specs on size, but i just measured the opening in the rear window where it shines through while having the 3rd brake light out of the car, and added about a half inch to each dimension to get a 1/4" overlap, for good contact and no chance of outline light. she will have her name in the window now when i hit the brakes, "Phoenix"
Old 06-14-2008, 02:15 PM

Great choice on both mods Yo. I have the same set up. Gotta love the vent shades that cover the entire rear door window. When you get the sticker, remember to remove the outer skin too. I didnt see it until a few Sunday's ago when we had the cars apart to do more mods.

Don
Old 06-14-2008, 02:54 PM

You'll love the WeatherTechs!!!
Old 06-16-2008, 11:30 PM

okay, so i finally got around to some pics, enjoy. any questions/comments, feel free.

first, the vent visors

now, the 3rd brake light, with a bonus pic after showing the placement of my chevyhhr.net decal that just showed up today.

Old 06-16-2008, 11:43 PM

COOL! Gotta love the black!
Only thing missing is a SoCAL HHR's sticker!
Not pink of course--that's my color (maybe I'll share!).

@ngelita.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:30 PM

I ordered a third brake light decal for my wife's HHR, but the panel covering the light is not coming off. I hate to force it, because I had similar problems with the panel on MY HHR. One of the clip mounts busted, but I was able to glue it back on. Repacement OEM panel is over $30 from dealer. Is there a trick to removing these panels. Thanks.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by retnavycpo
I ordered a third brake light decal for my wife's HHR, but the panel covering the light is not coming off. I hate to force it, because I had similar problems with the panel on MY HHR. One of the clip mounts busted, but I was able to glue it back on. Repacement OEM panel is over $30 from dealer. Is there a trick to removing these panels. Thanks.
You just grab it on the end and pull straight out. There are 4 total clips to get out. the ends are harder to get out. It sounds bad but its the only way. If they break they break and Velcro is your freind.
Old 06-19-2008, 01:45 PM

i have had good luck just getting my fingers under one edge, pulling moderately, not really hard, and it'll let go, then i work my way across through the middle, ending with the other side. i nopticed one of the metal clips was kinda bent when i installed the overlay, just straightened it back out a bit with my fingers, and it was fine. unfortunately there are no magical tricks to ensure an easy removal, you just gotta give it a shot. for me, though, it has never felt like it was going to break. only time it's felt like that was one time i was trying to put it back on, and had the angle slightly off and i almost folded over and snapped off one of the tabs, but that's it.
Old 06-19-2008, 02:00 PM

Looks great!

I agree, it's kinda scary getting the panel off. I had to replace it once because I broke a clip.
Old 06-21-2008, 06:07 PM

Thanks all for your suggestions. I'll try removing the panel again. Pete