"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

Convert 3rd Brake Light Turn Signal/Stop Light

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 06:01 PM

Convert 3rd Brake Light To Be A Turn Signal/Stop Light

I may be a retard but with all of the threads about the marker lights being changed to blinkers, I thought I would go one step further. This is an ultra easy mod. I think the hardest thing was routing the wire through the Rubber Snake from the chassis to the liftgate! What you need to do is lift both sides until it pops out! Remove the Panel covering the 3rd brake light. You will notice four sockets for the bulbs which are wired in series. Leave the Black/White wire alone, and only concentrate on the Brown Wire. Cut the brown wire between the 2nd & 3rd bulb. Then make a 2nd Cut on the brown wire between the 4th Socket and the OEM Connector. Do Not Disconnect the Connector because then you will not have a gound to your lights.

I will be referring to the bulbs from Left to Right facing the liftgate. The Brown wire is the positive wire which sends a signal to turn on the third brake light when brake pedal is pressed.

Attach a wire to the left two sockets where you made the first cut, You will route this one to the Left Side Tail Lights. Then attach another wire to where you made the 2nd cut, You will route this one to the right side Tail Light.

On the Turn/Stop Light Socket which are the Topmost ones. You will cut the Turn/Stop Supply Voltage Wire. On the Left Side the color is Yellow. On The Right Side the color is Dark Green. You should be attaching all three wire together on each side. I would solder all connections. Or you could use quick splices. You do have to make sure you make those two cuts on the brake light regardless.

This modification will make the left two bulbs blink when the left blinker is on, and the right two bulbs will be solid when braking. and vice versa. I will post pictures when i can get a chance. If you have any questionss please ask.

Turn/Stop Tail Lights:
Name:  Left_Rear_TurnSignal.jpg
Views: 11689
Size:  69.0 KB
Name:  Right_Rear_TurnSignal.jpg
Views: 11053
Size:  70.6 KB

3rd Brake Light:
Name:  3rd_Brake_Light.jpg
Views: 11460
Size:  69.8 KB

Last edited by NxlKing2304; 07-30-2009 at 05:42 AM.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:47 AM

retard?

you are not a retard...i wish i had time to do some of the great wiring mods you have done....thanks , for all of them....could you (or anyone else) recomend a tool for soldering ?...i want to fix some wires on anouther vehicle...and i think i may need to fix my hhrs key fob....also what type/size solder ? i plan to buy locally . ..i got some choices - the depot , slowes , craftsman , wally world , freight found in harbor...i'm thinking maybe a weller brand...i've also had some recomend black n decker , but most their stuff don't impress me.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:55 AM

I bought a Weller Portasol P2K Butane Kit. It is such a nice unit. I'll see if i can find you a link. It's about 50.00 but worth the price!!! I use it everywhere. When you get the solder, get a rosin core, so you dont need any flux.

Go Here: http://www.toolbarn.com/product/weller/P2KC/?ref=base

If you need any wiring diagrams for any vehicle 2008 and back, let me know. I can get them for ya.

By The way, I think it took me about 30 Minutes to wire up this mod! The fronts took a little longer.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:48 PM
Founding Member

Have your tried your cruise control since you did this mod?
Old 07-30-2009, 10:22 PM

No, but i will try tomorrow morning going to work. Why wouldn't it work? The Cruise uses the Brake Pedal sensor to turn off right? Shouldn't be looking for resistance?? I will post my findings tomorrow morning.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:51 PM

I may take this a step further and run the new turn signal only wires (my other post) up to the out side lights on the third brake light so it would be left to right:

left turn only, brake, brake, right turn only

currently i only have the middle two lights plugged in any way as I am using an HHR cutout overlay .....so I could now cut circles in the vinyl for the turn signals.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:05 AM

That would be interesting to see! I was thinking because I have the LED IPCW Lights, of getting a LED Board and removing the 3RD Brake Light all together and having TWO LED Boards of like 50 LEDS, one for each side? That would probably look awesome.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
Have your tried your cruise control since you did this mod?
Testes Cruise Control this morning and no problems. I didn't think there would be any because the system does not look for resistance, or at least it shouldn't anyway. That would be a completely retarded way to make a shut-off system. It uses the Brake Pedal Sensor on the brake pedal assembly. Am I correct in stating that?
Old 03-25-2012, 08:59 AM

I just did this mod on friday,really like it.But,when I plug in a trailer the rear lights don't work.Only the front blinker will work and they flash quickly like a bulb is out..When I unplug trailer,everthing returns to normal.Kinda weird,like the two extra bulbs in the curcuit add to much of a draw or something.Think I'll just use a couple quick male/female spade connecters and unplug them when towing and plug em in when i'm not.
Old 04-10-2015, 12:23 PM

I appericate your write up. I just did it the lights blink weirdly when turning on the right signal they wig wag. Weird. How do I correct this? Do i need to run another ground? HELP!!!!!!!!!!