Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

Anyone have OEM HHR wind deflectors? Review?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 08:37 PM

Anyone have OEM HHR wind deflectors? Review?

Scored these brand new for 50 flat, off a eBay bid. Any thoughts on these? They are OEM. I'm also gonna be getting some weather tech ones as well. One will be for my SS the other for my wife's LT. Anyone else have these OEM ones on theirs? Any thoughts? I know the weather tech ones are pretty nice, I've seen those in person but not the OEM.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:29 PM
Premium Member

i have the weather tech in-channel ones..and i wish i got the ones that have the tape instead! First off they are a pain in the butt to get in, feels like they would snap, especially the rear ones! omg! it has a sticky tape that sticks to the inside channel but as soon as u slide it in it gets stuck and u have to pull hard to get it up to the top position..but what really pisses me off about them is that when i puit them in and rolled down the windows, they screeach and scratch as it rubs against the deflectors and they ended up scrathing the edges around my windows, not noticeable when the windows are up or all the way down but if you have the windows half way down you see all the scratches
Old 07-29-2013, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by skyline26
i have the weather tech in-channel ones..and i wish i got the ones that have the tape instead! First off they are a pain in the butt to get in, feels like they would snap, especially the rear ones! omg! it has a sticky tape that sticks to the inside channel but as soon as u slide it in it gets stuck and u have to pull hard to get it up to the top position..but what really pisses me off about them is that when i puit them in and rolled down the windows, they screeach and scratch as it rubs against the deflectors and they ended up scrathing the edges around my windows, not noticeable when the windows are up or all the way down but if you have the windows half way down you see all the scratches
Oh wow ok thanks for the info Skyline. Does sound like a pain, the last thing I want is more problems lol good looking out
Old 07-29-2013, 11:11 PM
Platinum Member

When installing the in-channel type, you should leave the plastic covering on the tape until you have them in position. Once in the installed position, you remove the plastic and push them down so the tape sticks in place.
Before installing, peel back a short piece of the plastic on one end. This will provide a "pull handle" for you to grab to remove the rest of the plastic.
If you remove the entire plastic covering before installation, it's almost impossible to get them inserted correctly.

Had some on my Dodge truck for 10 years and never removed the plastic. They were held in by the lip of the door weatherstrip. I could remove them any time I needed to clean them. Finally, after 10 years, the plastic started coming off the tape. I just removed it, and taped them in there.

Last edited by firemangeorge; 07-30-2013 at 05:16 AM.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:09 AM
Premium Member

Stick- ons work great

Funny it goes the other way around here..Wife drives the SS....I take the LTZ to work...
Attached Images   

Last edited by SS fan; 07-30-2013 at 10:16 AM.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:35 AM
Administrator

I have the Weather Tech in channels, no issues with them, I have had the tape on ones that tape to the paint on my Sunfire GT, I have to remove and retape them every year or two as the tape dries out and comes loose. but them are just fine other then that
Old 08-02-2013, 06:36 PM

I bought a cheap set off ebay for like $25 and I like them better then the weather tech ones. I have had the weather tech ones in the past on other vehicles and the edges always seem to get rough and look whitish after time, plus I hated the stupid brand stamp they put on them.
The cheap set I got are not great, but they almost disappear when the window is up, they blend in nice. they are in channel and there is an easy way to put them in, just get the tape started on one end for about a 2" and bend that down so you can pull the rest off AFTER you put them in the channel! and if you can use an alcohol wipe to clean the rubber channel with before install.
I have had 4 vehicles with both in channel and outer and always like the in channel better, unless you can get the outer's paint matched then they look nice!
my 2 cents!
Old 11-28-2013, 10:17 AM

I bought a cheap set off ebay. They seem to fit nicer than the OEM ones and are less than half the price. They're in channel and work great. When you install them as long as you push them towards the vehicle when putting them in you should have no issues with the tape sticking prematurly. Once they're in place, pull them towards you to so the sticky part comes in contact with the inside of he channel. I had an issue at first with the rear windows not wanting to go up, but leaving the windows up for a week allowed them to set into the channel better and now there are no issues at all.