Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

Automatic Rear Hatch???

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 08:17 PM

Automatic Rear Hatch???

I'm short! And I just bought my second HHR. I had an '06, just bought an '11. But; I still can't close the rear hatch by myself. All jokes aside, I've thought of trying to install some kind of Chevy or GM self closing equipment on my HHR's rear hatch. Does anyone have any ideas? Has this been done? Or; does anyone have another idea, besides carrying a stool around with me.

Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks.
Old 11-23-2013, 08:39 PM

I put a pull strap on my nieces HHR when she had it. She is also 'height challanged".
Old 11-23-2013, 11:07 PM
Platinum Member

Just a thought here. You could replace the hatch struts( the little shocks) with some shorter ones that wouldn't allow the hatch to open as far.
Might be a trial an error thing to find the right length struts.
Easy parts to swap out.
Old 11-23-2013, 11:24 PM
Deceased

Either idea put forward by db/sb or George would be much less expensive and frustrating than trying to cobble up an automatic hatch.

One thing you could check into, look in your yellow pages or Google a mobility upfitter in your area, they can do adaptations like you want, but be prepared to write a sizeable check.
Old 11-24-2013, 05:13 AM

A slightly unorthodox solution: have Cobalt SS/TC rear springs installed. Your ride quality will improve, and while the rear end will drop about 1 1/4" at the wheel, the hatch when open seems at least 3" lower. The day after I did this spring swap, I hit my head on the interior panel of the hatch when it was up, and I'm 5' 10"... never happened with the stock springs.
Old 11-24-2013, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by Dracos
The day after I did this spring swap, I hit my head on the interior panel of the hatch when it was up, and I'm 5' 10"... never happened with the stock springs.
I'm 6-2. I had to be careful whenever I was under the hatch...
Old 11-24-2013, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by db/sb
'height challanged".
I like that. Thank you!

I've thought that. But I was affraid it would get caught when closing in the door gasket and keep it from closing properly. Any issues with that?
Old 11-24-2013, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Just a thought here. You could replace the hatch struts( the little shocks) with some shorter ones that wouldn't allow the hatch to open as far.
Might be a trial an error thing to find the right length struts.
Easy parts to swap out.
Good idea. I'll look into that.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by 843de
One thing you could check into, look in your yellow pages or Google a mobility upfitter in your area, they can do adaptations like you want, but be prepared to write a sizeable check.
Good idea as well. I know what you mean about the price. My wife's brother has CP. When looking for a van for him, the cost was staggering.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Dracos
A slightly unorthodox solution: have Cobalt SS/TC rear springs installed. Your ride quality will improve, and while the rear end will drop about 1 1/4" at the wheel, the hatch when open seems at least 3" lower
Interesting. I've been wanting to do upgrades. One question though. Does it make the car sit low "looking" in the rear? Or; do I have to install a Cobalt option in the front to even the rake out?

Quick Reply: Automatic Rear Hatch???