Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

Blue dots help

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 11:54 AM

Blue dots help

I recenty got some new toys from Mike at SoCal, one of them includes the blue dots kit for the tail lights. I don't have time to get it done this weekend but, I have gone so far as to take a look at how to remove everything. My question is to those that have already done this, does the actual red lens for the tail lights come off so you can drill out the hole for the dots holder? And, do you have any recommendations on where you made you cuts, or did you just "wing it"?

Nick
Old 10-15-2006, 12:15 PM

Good question Nick
I would like to know also but I would 1st find out if there legal in you state. I have heard that you will need a very high spped drill but thats was I was told but I'm not sure about that. I have been thinking of doing the same think to my HHr. I will be checking out your Thread on this question.

Z
Old 10-15-2006, 03:24 PM

I don't have them but, You will have to drill them with a drill. Also if you don't want to pay for shipping you can go to like ADVANCE AUTO or AUTO ZONE and order the little lights. The blue light's are from from MR.GASKET they can order them and it's free shipping also for alot of other stuff.
Old 10-15-2006, 03:37 PM

I have them and I am Illinois where the law has changed, but still does not make them legal , but I am willing to take the chance and challenge it in court due to the wording of the law. I think that SoCal sells a kit that includes Red Dots so if yoy get stopped you can change back and get the ticket dropped...(MAYBE). The tail light lens does not come off of the housing, at least not easily, I just centered the dots and drilled the holes. You will notice that due to the lens being angled just a bit that the dots will not appear centered , but they are still cool...The access panels in the rear of the HHR allow pretty easy access to the taillight assemblies, so it is not a bad mod...pm if you run into anything...
Old 10-15-2006, 04:40 PM

Got Blue ?

Originally Posted by Airborne_Beachbum
I recenty got some new toys from Mike at SoCal, one of them includes the blue dots kit for the tail lights. I don't have time to get it done this weekend but, I have gone so far as to take a look at how to remove everything. My question is to those that have already done this, does the actual red lens for the tail lights come off so you can drill out the hole for the dots holder? And, do you have any recommendations on where you made you cuts, or did you just "wing it"?

Nick
Nick:
Lets start with the removal of the tail light assy from the car. Just forward of either taillight assy. inside of the car is a long slinder panel. That pops out with a common screw driver. That will allow you access to the light assy. You must remove the "black insullation and body deadner foam. It will not go back as easy as it comes out. That will allow you to gain access to the 3 nuts holding the light assy on the car. Those if i remember are a #"10 metric". Be careful not to drop those little nuts. They will go all the way down to the ground !!! At least you think they did. You may want to remove the light plug wire and bulb from the socket at this time by rotating 90 Degrees. I chose to leave mine on, on the right hand side. Then the lens and light housing come out as a single piece.
If you are going to drill the lens with a drill bit and do it in stages, be sure to "DULL" the edges of the drill flutes. As well as the center of the bit. This will not allow you to crack the plastic when drilling. Do not push hard, let the drill bit do the work for you. I drilled my out to a 1/4 " hole the used a high speed dye grinder and router bit. Brought it out to size. I believe it was 15/16. Be sure to "de-bir" the hole before installing the Blue Dots.
installed the metal retainer, bent over the tabs and sealed the edges. Installed in the reverse order. Hope this helps. I too was a little intimidated, It's not that hard. Look at thread "I finally got the blues."
Good luck.
Old 10-15-2006, 05:37 PM

I appreciate the input. It will give me something to look forward to when I get back from the training mission we are doing. The on post auto-shop has all the tools I will need to do this little project. I'm sure it will be a "fix-it ticket" if I get pulled over for it. But, I got the kit from SoCal's so I have the red lenses to fix-it with.

Nick
Old 10-15-2006, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by scaleguy
I have them and I am Illinois where the law has changed, but still does not make them legal , but I am willing to take the chance and challenge it in court due to the wording of the law. I think that SoCal sells a kit that includes Red Dots so if yoy get stopped you can change back and get the ticket dropped...(MAYBE). The tail light lens does not come off of the housing, at least not easily, I just centered the dots and drilled the holes. You will notice that due to the lens being angled just a bit that the dots will not appear centered , but they are still cool...The access panels in the rear of the HHR allow pretty easy access to the taillight assemblies, so it is not a bad mod...pm if you run into anything...

Very good thinking Pat! Way to go Bud.:twothumbs