Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

buffers

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 07:40 AM

buffers

Question for you detailing experts. I have decided to buy a buffer to eliminate the slight swirl marks I have. I found a Ryobi 10" random orbital buffer at Home Depot for $24. Seems everyone else is $39 and up. I don't see any difference in features, but was wondering if there is something I should look for in a quality buffer. I believe Ryobi is a good brand, but I don't have much experience with them. I attached a pic for a visual reference along with some specs. Thanks in advance for any advise.

Input: 120V AC, 0.75 AMP

Orbits per Minute: 3,200
Attached Images  
Old 09-15-2007, 07:47 AM

seems to be a nice choice
Old 09-15-2007, 08:04 AM

My boyfriend has been a detailer for 30+ years and uses a Makita Variable speed buffer which looks similar to a power drill. It is my understanding that you have a great deal more control over the buffer with that style rather than the orbital type. I do realize that the Makita's are pricey, so I did some research with his help and found something that might work that is in a more affordable price range.

Found this at amazon.com for $44.95

Old 09-15-2007, 11:09 AM

Mizzouhhr, the one you got won't remove swirl marks, it just makes the wax come off faster. Try one of the variable sped buffers, like courthousedeb said. If your anywhere near a automotive paint supply store stop in and look for the polishing compounds and waxes. These will leave a great shine and loose the swirls too. Make sure you have the right pad though as you could "burn" your paint if you stay in one spot to long or hit a corner. Good luck.
Old 09-15-2007, 12:02 PM

I purchased a 10 inch orbital a while back ago. I used it last weekend to polish and wax my HHR and my friends Jetta. I found that the 10 inch was pretty difficult to use on the HHR. There are small panels, edges, creases and bends that made the job fairly difficult. I would use a 6 inch if I did it again.
Old 09-15-2007, 12:23 PM

I got a craftsman 7" for about $30.00 I use it and like the results

Here is the link for it
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...eyword=buffers
Old 09-15-2007, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by dbarberaz
I got a craftsman 7" for about $30.00 I use it and like the results

Here is the link for it
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...eyword=buffers
Just showed that one to my boyfriend and he thought it looks like a great deal and he agreed that it is probably the best size to use on the HHR. It's all really a matter of how much you want to spend on one and how many features you would like to have. It's also important that it feels comfortable when you use it as well. The key to buffing and doing it right is to keep the pad flat and not use the sides. If you're not careful as someone else says, you can burn the paint and then you really have a problem.

Unless one is experienced in doing this, I'd say practice on another vehicle where it doesn't matter if you mess up a little.
Old 09-15-2007, 03:40 PM

as for a polishing compound I found some stuff called Farecla. It is more of a good top coat scrub and polish. It basically does a 1500 wet sand and then brings back a great shine. I don't think I'd recommend it for anything that is newer and has a nice paint job, but I used it on my 99 caravan that had some really bad water spots, to the point I wasn't worried about ruining the paint because it was already ruined pretty much, and it did an awesome job and left the paint looking bettert than the HHRs, it now the water spots are gone and the finish looks like glass. I also used it on the plastic remote control truck I have that I repainted about 5 months ago and it took out a lot of the orange peel and gave it an awesome shine also.

Anybody ever heard of it what is your take on it. I'm thinking of trying it on the HHR for some real light acid etching due to washing it in the sun and not getting all the water off of it.
Old 09-15-2007, 04:29 PM
Platinum Member

I've heard of it. Haven't seen it for a little while though. Last I remember some "top line" (Lexus, Rover, Audi...even Cadillac) dealers were using it for show room quality pre-owned vehicles.
Old 09-15-2007, 04:47 PM

Its amazing stuff so far. I'm going to use it overtop of some painting I'm doing on my HHR right now. If I ever get it done.