Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

buffers

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 05:34 PM

I have used the one orbital one, similar shown in the first post..
No swirl marks..

The heavy duty one I believe body shops do use, to give the paint a high gloss and to remove inperfections..
Old 09-15-2007, 05:39 PM

Having used buffers in the past, the 6 inch would be the better choice. If you have to open the hood or doors to get into areas easier, that will give you the proper pad surface. I haven't worked with the water base paints which are used on the HHR, as others have mentioned you can burn paint. It happens a lot easier then it sounds, and I would think water base paint would burn easier. You might want to ask a local body shop that has experience with water base paints. Maybe Debs boyfriend has had some experience in this area as well and can give you some pointers.
Old 09-16-2007, 11:03 AM

When i finally get a buffer this is the one i'm going to get. As far as i've seen its pretty much generally accepted as the best bang for the buck buffer that you can get.
http://www.autogeek.net/hk7424.html

If i remember you can pick them up at home depot for about 100$
Old 09-16-2007, 11:27 AM

Looks good..
Old 09-17-2007, 07:15 AM

Just be sure to get one that is a random orbital.

I use a 10" & a 6". no swirl marks.

2003 MPV door.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:30 AM

Can someone write up some instructions on using a buffer? I tried my new one for about 15 minutes last night, with the Meguiar's Tech Wax. After about 15 minutes, it was quicker for me to go back to the old fashioned "Karate Kid" method. I know I have to be doing something wrong, since so many people rave about these buffers.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:16 PM

If I'm wrong I hope someone corrects me.
First, which buffer are you useing? The random orbital or the high speed? The random orbital should have two different pads with it. One to put the wax on with and one to take it off with. It is essentially the same as the karate kid method just now you have a machine getting all the benifits. Wax on, let dry, wax off. Different pad for wax on and wax off. The high speed buffer you should put the liquid cream on the pad, I prefer, or the car itself. Place the buffer on the car on top of the cream and start the buffer. Watch out cause the high speed buffer will sling the ( I just realized I said liquid cream) wax all over the place. Watch your eyes, and maybe wear old clothes or have on a tool apron if you like. Remember, always start the tool on the car and stop on the car. Never start then place on the car. Good luck
Old 09-18-2007, 09:09 AM

I currently use a 5" random orbital to spread on the wax. I hand rub it off with a cotton towel. I had used a heavy duty polisher in the past and found that you need to keep it moving and to be very careful around edges and corners or you can easily get burn through. If you have large flat surfaces, the heavy duty polisher does work well, but it does require some skill level to do it for good results.

For swirl removal I have used Mcguires swirl removal product and the 5" random orbital polisher to put it on, then cotton towel wipe off. If you have severe swirl marks, there are some professional grade polishing compounds that work real well.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:27 AM

porter cable 7424 with a 6" foam pad works great.