Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

Careing for Rubber around windows

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 08:31 AM

Careing for Rubber around windows

What is the best way to take care of the black rubber around the windows??
Thanks Tommy

Old 01-06-2008, 09:43 AM

I was always told to rub silicon spray on it. It's very important. I wasn't consistant with do it on my minivan and the seals are deteriorating quickly. I'd have them replaced if the vehicle wasn't so old.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:02 PM

I saw GM recommends silicone grease like the dielectric grease you use on spark plug wires.

I'm trying Aerospace 303 on this car. Wish I took some before pics of the rubber weather stripping. Looks really good and not greasy or like its going to drip down the paint in the rain like some other products. It is supposed to be one of the better products for actually protecting too. Will see how it lasts.

The 303 looks good in the interior too. Gives a little gloss and not wet or greasy. Works well on smoother surfaces as well, typically problem areas with stuff like Formula2001 on past cars.

I found it by seeing recommendations on various forums when I was looking for something that would hold up well on exterior plastics. So far so good there too - but it has only been a few days I have owned the HHR
Old 03-19-2008, 10:10 PM

I've used Vaseline on occasion. I've used Armorall, 303, Back to Black, MacGuires stuff.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:10 PM
Uma

Very good info, I have never thought to apply anything to the rubber, I will try it, thanks, Todd (Uma)
Old 03-19-2008, 10:46 PM

back to black for me
Old 03-20-2008, 03:33 PM

I tried b2b, but it didn't work worth a crap for me, i got a few products that i would really like to try.
Old 03-20-2008, 04:01 PM

There is this product line that i know checkers carries called "Stoner" they have trim protectant that they just put out. Haven't tried it yet but these products work really great. I use their Tire Shine(works great gives an even not to glossy shine) Glass cleaner(safe for tinted windows and great clean windows, Called invisible glass) and they have a spray way in an aroesol can called Speed Bead( great wax especially on the go). Try it. Trim protectant by Stoner. weathers starting to clear good enough for washes here so i'll post a review of it when i use it.
Old 03-20-2008, 04:07 PM

Ive been building hot rods for years and we've always used a liquid silicone in a spray bottle or a rag to apply it to rubber weatherstripping and trim. Keeps it soft and sealing good.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Don Juan
There is this product line that i know checkers carries called "Stoner" they have trim protectant that they just put out. Haven't tried it yet but these products work really great. I use their Tire Shine(works great gives an even not to glossy shine) Glass cleaner(safe for tinted windows and great clean windows, Called invisible glass) and they have a spray way in an aroesol can called Speed Bead( great wax especially on the go). Try it. Trim protectant by Stoner. weathers starting to clear good enough for washes here so i'll post a review of it when i use it.
The product is called "Trim Shine" just picked me up a can and bout to put some on in a lil.

Quick Reply: Careing for Rubber around windows