Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

Front bras - useless? Damaging?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 09:10 PM

Front bras - useless? Damaging?

Can you believe it - - I did a search on the word "bra" and it comes up with NOTHING - NADA! Surely someone has talked about this before here...

1. I know that bras have got a bad rap for being damaging and abrading your paint, and that's the last thing I'd want to do. Opinions on that?

2. It seems that the mini bras only protect the higher area of the bumper/hood. Sure, that's the thing we see first, but truly, aren't all those little rocks hitting our lower fronts?

3. Opinions on whether it's worth it on a cross country road trip...

4. Opinions on blue-taping the car's nose (we had to do it on hubby's car for a recent car club caravan)....
Old 03-20-2007, 10:15 AM

bras

I just bought a two piece front bra from socal before they closed. It fits great and I'm going to use it on our first highway trip. I have a upholstery business and have made custom bras for street rods and special interest cars, and have seen no neg effects,IF IT IS USED ON HIGHWAY AND NOT LEFT ON ALL THE TIME. Any paint fade would be if you left it on all the time. The other thing to remember after your trip remove and clean it. Any dirt and dust caught between the paint and bra could dull. Also a good coat of wax before installing is a good idea. Hopes this helps.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:29 AM

I would recommend applying some 3M or other clear vinyl protection to the front. I don't know if there pre-formed kits for the HHR or not. You could probably find a shop that can make a custom application.
Old 03-20-2007, 11:31 AM

My wife tried a bra on the back for a change. It just didn't fit right and she developed a rash on her chest.

Just kidding. I haven't bought one for the HHR. I had one on my Jeep Cherokee years ago and it raised heck with the paint. I have never bothered with one since.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:11 PM

I only use my bra on long trips.... (this is on my Impala SS)

I do put 3M tape where the edges tend to shimmy. You can tell from the tape that it does. As far as paint damage on the rest, as long as the thing is clean I wouldn't worry about it.

Leaving it on longterm??? I wouldn't if it's driven daily. Sunfade, dirt washing down in it from the rain, etc.

On my truck I had the clear edging put on. I love it other than the fact it seems to mark a little easy.... but it's a black truck.

FWIW
Old 03-20-2007, 01:21 PM

I bought the small one for mine and Bonnie's for use on trips. I HATE bug juice and I figure this will keep some of the grill and hood. Those seem to be the hardest areas to keep clean IMO.
Old 03-20-2007, 01:23 PM

I had one on my Honda when I had it and I could see a difference in the paint when I took it off. I'm not a big fan of them...but that's just me. Which will cost you more...the damage you might get if you don't have one on there or the damage that might be caused if you do. I think it's all a matter of how you use it that makes the difference.
Old 03-20-2007, 03:30 PM

Mitzkity I have used a bra on 4 cars since 1988 and had no problems with the paint as I did a little prep first. I put saran wrap or cling wrap on the areas that
are at the top of the fenders and the back edge on the hood and it stopped any
damage to the paint. this is for short term use. I did use it on a few trips to New England and back and it saved a lot of grief.
I have a bra coming for Black Arrow from here
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LeBra...QQcmdZViewItem

Alan
Old 03-20-2007, 11:05 PM

Hey, I have a watch on that LeBra on Ebay... I'll be anxious to hear from you when you get it, okay?

I like that saran wrap idea too, but I think I might use bluetape (painter's tape). After taking that Meguiar's Detailing class, don't worry, she is WELL-WAXED.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:09 AM

I like the price, but I couldn`t find a pic.
I had a bra years ago and it wore the paint off at the seam, and faded the hood. I do want one for highway trips, but to take them off everyday and put it on just before getting on the freeway, sounds like a hassle.
Mrs. B/B is definately against it, and it`s (ahum) Her Hot Ride...

Quick Reply: Front bras - useless? Damaging?