Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

Front License Plate Issue -- Please Advise

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 10:44 PM

Front License Plate Issue -- Please Advise

When I bought my HHR it had no plates on it (don't ask). Now that I have the plates I wanted to install one on the front bumper but the screw holes are COMPLETELY wrong and don't line up with the license plate or the frame at all. The holes on the top are really far away and the holes below them are super close.

Anyone else encounter this? Not sure if I have to buy some sort of aftermarket bracket that fits those screwy screw holes or just drill holes into the bumper.

PLEASE ADVISE. Thanks!
Old 07-09-2008, 10:52 PM
ecl

It most likely had the license plate bracket on there thats why your holes dont line up right. Either look on ebay or go and order one from your local chevy dealer.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:14 PM

I spoze...

I can't even find one on line anywhere.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:22 PM
ecl

This is the bracket
Name:  PICT1053.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  97.8 KB

Name:  PICT1052.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  87.5 KB
Thats the best photos with bracket right now if no one else post anything better I can get some photos tomorrow.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:40 PM
ecl

theres no picture but heres a price and a place to order it if necessary.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:16 AM

Most dealers in CA usually have it installed already so when you roll out, your stuck with it.

It is a state requirement, but I have never had the plate on (see pic). Not ONCE in almost a year have I been stopped or given a ticket.

Frankly Wendy, I'd say keep it off--looks better and wished I didn't have it. If you want, then go to a Chevy dealer and get one--they know what it is!

@ngelita
Old 07-10-2008, 12:28 AM

Wendy, PM "ChevyMgr"

Originally Posted by HardyHarHHR
When I bought my HHR it had no plates on it (don't ask). Now that I have the plates I wanted to install one on the front bumper but the screw holes are COMPLETELY wrong and don't line up with the license plate or the frame at all. The holes on the top are really far away and the holes below them are super close.

Anyone else encounter this? Not sure if I have to buy some sort of aftermarket bracket that fits those screwy screw holes or just drill holes into the bumper.

PLEASE ADVISE. Thanks!
As some have mentioned, they arent getting hassled. I for one wouldnt want to chance it. More and more fix it tickets come with fines attached to them. As aforementioned, PM Brad, ChevyMgr. He can provide the part number for you. You can get it locally at your dealer or from GMPD.
Old 07-10-2008, 01:51 AM

Ours was installed from the dealer. Removing it was one of the first mods we did. I know it is still probably around here somewhere but after 2 years I have no idea where. My opinion is that if you didn't get any when you bought the HHR, go back to the dealer and they should have to give you one since they are required by law.

Here is a very poor picture showing the holes that the mount bolts to. This is a clip from a picture showing all the fire ash falling on the HHR. Eventually I will fill the holes in.

Old 07-10-2008, 04:58 AM

The bracket is actually attached to my bumper with the both the two further apart holes and the two closer together holes my HHR.

You should definitely go back to the dealer for this bracket... they should provide it for free or cut the cost for you to purchase since you bought the HHR from them and it's required by law.
Old 07-10-2008, 05:39 AM

You need a mounting bracket:
http://www.bellautomotive.com/asp/pr...s.asp?id=24855
Bell sells frames, screws, and other stuff for plates. Go to Autozone or Pep Boys for them.
Someone said a dealer wanted $7 EACH for the rubber plugs that go in back of the rear plate. You can get a pack of several sizes of plugs for $4 at these 2 stores, too.

Quick Reply: Front License Plate Issue -- Please Advise