Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

Going around in circles!!

Old 04-01-2015, 11:26 PM

Going around in circles!!

I suppose this is "general appearance" related, so here goes. I have been detailing for a long time now, but am not shy if I need help, I certainly do not know everything. I have an issue that is driving me mad. I have picked up an unusual amount of oil or coolant or grime on my windshield and cannot rid myself of it! It is clear as glass until it gets wet and I use the wipers and it starts to smear. It makes the obvious discoloration when wet, as if it were oil or oily residue. As of now, I have washed it, used cleaner, used dawn, and clayed..no use. What else can I safely use to try and get this off? As an aside, my windshield has a longitudinal crack, and whatever it is MAY be residing in the crack. The crack is open enough to hold water because you can watch it bleed out water after a wash. Wipers are new as well.

Any ideas?
Old 04-02-2015, 02:36 AM
Deceased

Bon Ami cleansing powder can be safely used to clean a windshield to a state of near perfection, plus it has a mild burnishing effect on the glass which can get rid of mild wiper scratches.

One caveat, you need to rinse the windshield very thoroughly, and also rinse the vehicle with a goodly amount of water. You don't want any cleanser residue left behind, especially on your paint.

New wipers notwithstanding, clean the blades with alcohol wipes, there can be residue on them from the manufacturing process. Usually that residue is the silicone based lubricants from the extrusion dies which form the blades.

Of course, the crack will only grow worse, so it'll be time for a new windshield sooner than later.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:16 AM
Technical Moderator

RainX? Car wash spray wax?

I have had similar experience with both.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:27 AM
Administrator

As the lady in the Ghost and Mr. Chicken said " and they used Bon Ami!! "
I loved those old Don Knott's movies!
Another tie to Mike's area of NC!
Old 04-02-2015, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
RainX? Car wash spray wax?

I have had similar experience with both.
I never use rain-x.
Old 04-02-2015, 12:50 PM

Rain-X is the worst I had to clean my windshield with vinegar to get that crap off my windshield after it started to gum up and smear
Old 04-02-2015, 02:41 PM
Technical Moderator

A product called GoofOff is basically dry cleaning or lighter fluid. It will get wax off and maybe RainX. Don't get it on anything you want wax on.
Old 04-02-2015, 03:16 PM
Deceased

Originally Posted by Oldblue
As the lady in the Ghost and Mr. Chicken said " and they used Bon Ami!! "
I loved those old Don Knott's movies!
Another tie to Mike's area of NC!
Attaboy Luther!...err...Attaboy Oldblue!

Now I've got Vic Mizzy's theme music stuck in my head, oh well, it replaced the Muzak version of Petula Clark's "Downtown" that was playing in the hotel elevator.

And even though the late Don Knotts was from Morgantown, West Virginia. North Carolinians hold him dear to our hearts, RIP Deputy Fife.

Back to "OT", Goof-Off might work, but as Don noted...by extra super careful around your paint job.

Search this Thread