Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

Are grills the same between years? (non-SS)

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 10:02 AM

Question Are grills the same between years? (non-SS)

Hey guys,

I have an 09 LT and need to know if the grills from earlier years are exactly the same size/shape. I'm looking to do a custom painted 3 bar/mesh grill and can probably get an older one cheap around Calgary. Anybody know?
Also, I guess I should ask if anyone in the Calgary, Alberta area has one to sell?

Thanks
Old 02-11-2009, 10:13 AM

Yes, all non SS are the same for all years.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:14 AM

06 to 09 are all the same! If you can find one already done go for it! Doing one properly is a PITA! My Left side Thumb and Index Finger currently look like a X-Acto Knife experiment gone Bad !
Old 02-11-2009, 11:26 AM

Cool

Originally Posted by DLVRNIT
06 to 09 are all the same! If you can find one already done go for it! Doing one properly is a PITA! My Left side Thumb and Index Finger currently look like a X-Acto Knife experiment gone Bad !
Hey, that's all part of the fun! No way I'm putting on a "custom" grill that someone else has made... that lacks a certain ere of BRAGGING RIGHTS!Here's my Photoshop/Illustrator (I'm an Adobe FREAK!) moch-up of what I'm planning on doing. Sorry about the crappy original photo of my salt covered ride in the dark. Just had an itch to do this Sunday night and had no good photos of my front end CLEAN yet. Only had it for 3 weeks now, melting snow and salt look GREAT on a black HHR.

Original photo:

These are the 2 I think I'm choosing between:
The Chrome Tux:

or The Black and Blue Bruiser:

...and these are all my other coloured mesh experiments:

The Green Hornet:

Jackolantern:

Don't Smear My Lipstick:

Bumble Bee:

...let me know what you guys think!

PS: Kinda funny how there's still a reflection of the original grill on the bumper... But I think you get the idea.

Last edited by ChevyMgr; 02-11-2009 at 12:57 PM. Reason: resized pics to site guidelines
Old 02-11-2009, 12:01 PM

The colors are different. For some reason, the purple doesn't look too bad....

Did you try one with a bright mesh?
Old 02-11-2009, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by solman98
The colors are different. For some reason, the purple doesn't look too bad....

Did you try one with a bright mesh?
Hey! That's blue, not purple! Is your monitor funky or am I blind?

...and I thought the "chrome" one was pretty bright. Didn't want to make it too shiney cause it would look too out of place with the dark picture.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:19 PM

Maybe it's my old eyes..... With the black background, looked purple to me. I'm guessing the chrome was the first one after the stock? I'm sure it would look totally different in person.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by solman98
Maybe it's my old eyes..... With the black background, looked purple to me. I'm guessing the chrome was the first one after the stock? I'm sure it would look totally different in person.
Ya, the photoshopping was quick, looks a little cartoony. But it's just for planning purposes. I thought it worked out pretty well for it all being imaginary. That bad original pic doesn't help. I was considering getting fog lights to install, but for now I think the mesh looks way better than those ugly plastic covers, rice rocket body kit stylez!

PS: I think the BLUE is my favorite, too. Make it a nice triple clear coat chrome blue mesh. I like anything that can be described as "electric" blue. Reminds me of my 03 POS Cruiser I just got rid of. Almost got the HHR in the bright metallic blue, wife wanted black. Too bad she isn't the one that has to clean and wax it!

Last edited by djnixtre; 02-11-2009 at 12:33 PM. Reason: added comment
Old 02-11-2009, 12:50 PM

gold

it looks good with the amber lights. i don't know why some hate the amber lights. plus you could also put the original gold bowtie back. could also add ambe/oranger backlighting , behind the grill. i seen the orange/amber backlighting on a newer dodge charger, it looked great.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:25 PM

I like the 1st one (black or dark gray I think), but would like to see a light gray or silver. Also, the red would look good, but needs to be a brighter red IMO.

It must be nice to be able to photo shop what you want to see it before you hack something up.

Quick Reply: Are grills the same between years? (non-SS)