Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

HID Lamp conversion anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 03:31 PM

Arrested for what?

They are legal...And no retro-fitting is involved really. You unplug your light, put in the new bulb, plug in the ballast plug in the power ground it BADA BING BADA BOOM HID's
Old 01-25-2009, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by gcsd3742
They are legal...And no retro-fitting is involved really. You unplug your light, put in the new bulb, plug in the ballast plug in the power ground it BADA BING BADA BOOM HID's

They may be legal (have to check each state to be sure) but explain that to a cop at 2am.
Old 01-25-2009, 03:50 PM

Which plug in an play kit did you purchase??
Old 01-25-2009, 04:09 PM

Yea just cuz they are legal doesn't mean they aren't too bright for not being in a projector. Those kind of hids are legal but are meant to be inside of a projector.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:16 AM

Every plug-n-play kit I've ever seen has come with the disclaimer that they are for off-road/show use only, and that they are not street legal. AFAIK any HID installed in a vehicle that didn't come that way from the factory is not street legal. I'm not sure if that varies by state or not.

Projectors are not necessary for proper HID light displacement, either - there are a few cars out there that have non-projector HID headlamps from the factory. The Prius is the first one to come to mind, but there are some older Benz's and Lexus's that do too.
Old 01-26-2009, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by patrick49
Every plug-n-play kit I've ever seen has come with the disclaimer that they are for off-road/show use only, and that they are not street legal. AFAIK any HID installed in a vehicle that didn't come that way from the factory is not street legal. I'm not sure if that varies by state or not.

Projectors are not necessary for proper HID light displacement, either - there are a few cars out there that have non-projector HID headlamps from the factory. The Prius is the first one to come to mind, but there are some older Benz's and Lexus's that do too.
LOL, I agree with you entirely......
Except the last part. I think we all remember those first benzs that have hid's...they caused all of the uproar about banning them in general. They placed them into regular HALOGEN headlights. And blinded about everyone not sitting up in a dump/monster truck. All hids need to be lensed. All factory installations have them. If they dont, all others on the road will pay.

Take a quality flashlight... $40+
Remove the lenses...
Point and blind.....
If you do that with 35watts of hid power X2....or god forbid 55 watts...lol
Now put the lense back on.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:36 PM

^ sorry I should have clarified - the the really older - the first Benz's - and such with HID definitely threw a ton of glare. But they did refine that eventually and still produced models with non-projector HIDs that didn't throw so much glare, which is what I meant by older. Whoops.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:15 AM

I believe yall are speaking of me:

Mine was just plug n play. I got mine off of Ebay. No issuses with it what so ever....
so lets see a night shot of the nice sharp cut off like the stock bulbs have
Old 03-29-2024, 10:39 PM

Yes did that and now changed up to projection with demon eye halo and installed the RPG Lighting kit round those so when demon is switched on RPG halo comes on outside smaller projection halo, looks really bad assed I think and can be any color I want. HID will work as well, but I wanted to go projection and managed to add some candy to it as well....!
🤘😎...............🤙
P.S. working on a trailing DRL along the bottom next, stay tuned and will post soon.
Old 03-29-2024, 11:05 PM

Plug n play HIDs now legally. ... I went custom

Yes did HID's and now changed up to projection with demon eye halo and installed the RPG Lighting kit round those so when demon is switched on RPG halo comes on outside smaller projection halo, looks really bad assed I think and can be any color I want. HID will work as well, but I wanted to go projection and managed to add some candy to it as well....and wow they are perfect crazy bright beams, not floods!
🤘😎...............🤙
P.S. working on a trailing DRL along the bottom next, stay tuned and will post soon.

Quick Reply: HID Lamp conversion anyone?